Sponsored by:

MAF part number incorrect, problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:41 AM
daking
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
Do you have the stock air filter or aftermarket?

Your tune might be now in question.

How many miles do you have on your car?

K&N Air filter, clean. (oil sprayed correclty)
90.000 KM
Old 05-05-2011, 08:46 AM
daking
Advanced

Originally Posted by Macster
My info is in the event of a P0102 (mass air flow sensor -- below limit) the PSM is switched off. This probably accounts for the PSM warning light, and perhaps ABS too since the ABS and PSM systems are 'connected' in a way I won't cover here.

IIRC you're running a car that has had an Ecu reflash. I know nothing about these other than what I've read here and other places and that is some work beautifully and some can cause more trouble than they are worth. Your car may have a reflash that falls into the second category.

Also, the car has had its exhaust modified. Again I know nothing about these but what I've read here and other places: Some work just fine, while others are chrome headaches.

These latter exhaust systems may have a good sound, sell for an attractive price, they may even boost hp and torque but check engine light events due to 'sensor' issues is an unpleasant side effect.

These check engine light events may be due to the stock (or aftermarket) Ecu being unable to adapt/work with the different exhaust flow characsteristics of the engine with this aftermarket exhaust.

The position of the sensors in the exhaust gas flow is critical to their proper operation. Furthermore the performance of the converters is important too, because the #2 sensor is there to measure/monitor the converter's performance.

Some aftermarket converters simply may not have ability to provide a more open or freer exhaust gas flow and yet completely process the exhaust gases. The metals used in the converters are very very expensive so the natural tendency is to use less of them to keep costs down.

But a high flow converter almost has to have more of these metals since to be a high flow converter it would have a larger diameter or longer converter section which means a larger surface area whch of course must be coated with necessary metals to do the converting so I would hazard a guess all other things being equal a high flow converter would be more expensive since it should have more surface and thus a hgher content by weight of the expensive catalytic metals.

So, where does that leave you? Well, with too many unknowns. Questionable flash. Questionable exhaust system. And questionable any other mods that have been done to the engine.

Kevin's comments I think are spot on the money. You need to stop guessing and look at the engine data: MAF, O2 sensor, and so on and so forth. It is hard to say at this time what data will prove to be the most useful.

The times I've tried to track down problems with stock engines I've jumped from one set of sensor or derived data to another set and back again comparing and trying to understand the results to make an accurate diagnosis.

Sometimes I'm succesful. However at least once I made the wrong diagnosis (diagnosed a MAF when a leaking oil filler tube cap was the real cause of the error codes). But it was a mistake I paid for out of my own pocket.

Anyhow, without any sensor data any guess as to what is the problem is just that, a guess. But one you're not likely to know is the correct guess without spending a lot of time and money, your time or some mechanic's time (your money though) and money for parts.

As much as I would like to come up with an answer for you I'm unable to offer anything but to 2nd Kevin's recommendation/advice and get you to start looking at the sensor/derived data and post this and perhaps Kevin or someone else will spot something that they can pass on to you that proves directly helpful.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Very many thanx!
In your opinion, with durametric tool I can solve the problem or is it better to go to mechanic?
PSM and ABS light also with stock exhaust and no CEL .
CEL only with aftermarket exhaust (with no cats)
Old 05-05-2011, 08:52 AM
daking
Advanced

Originally Posted by jury_ca
BTW, agree with Macster, that if you are trying to diagnose a difficult condition, it is better to bring the car back to stock tune by reflashing the ECU to see if the problem with the MAF still exists.
I think less expancive option is to buy another MAF from Porsche dealer.
Reflash ECU to stock = lose 1.000€
I can do a "bakup" of my ecu? There is a software ??
Old 05-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

The oil K & N has been killing your MAF's..

Purchase a new MAF, and replace your K & N filter with a STOCK air filter.

This has been a repeated subject over the years!

FYI, you aren't going to lose any HP when switching to a new stock air filter.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:52 AM
daking
Advanced

Hi Kevin,
very many thanx.
I buy a new air filter.
And try to clean Maf. It has 2.000 km only!
Old 05-16-2011, 05:53 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't bother cleaning the MAF. They need to be replaced. Also get rid of the K&N.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:01 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Slightly off topic, but can someone post a picture of the MAF location on the TT (stock air intake)? I've done some searches and found some good DIY threads, but all the pics are red-x'd.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
Slightly off topic, but can someone post a picture of the MAF location on the TT (stock air intake)?
Are you trying to locate your MAF? If so, it is essentially under the left intake hose.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:47 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
Slightly off topic, but can someone post a picture of the MAF location on the TT (stock air intake)? I've done some searches and found some good DIY threads, but all the pics are red-x'd.

You will found a picture post #83
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...leaning-6.html
Old 05-16-2011, 06:50 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Are you trying to locate your MAF? If so, it is essentially under the left intake hose.
Thanks. I'll go in search of this evening.

Quick Reply: MAF part number incorrect, problem