Sponsored by:

Problem with Brake Pad Wear Sensor/Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 04:10 PM
MK19
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Problem with Brake Pad Wear Sensor/Light

All my pads are good/thick and none of the sensors are touching the rotors. I have cleaned the contacts at the connectors at all 4 wheels. I'm still getting intermittent Brake Pad Wear indications at the dash warning light. Any suggestions on trouble shooting this one?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:37 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 74 Posts

Replace them. We had this on a buddie's and he couldn't get the right front to clear. It turned out to have just been "bad"... Just "went" oneday... Was odd, but putting a new one on fixed it.

Mike
Old 01-16-2011, 10:41 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might not be the sensors.

I've had this twice. It's a problem with the wires breaking down in the loom down to the pad sensors at the front. I had it on the right hand side, which was fixed by the dealer - and on the left hand side a couple of months ago which I fixed myself. Porsche sell the connector and a section of the loom which you then have to solder in - in the luggage compartment area. At least in the UK, this seems to be a "known" problem.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:31 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Could be something as simple as.....is it happening right after you wash the car?

If not, then you might have a faulty sensor. Pick up a new one and when you know the light is on for a period of time start testing each corner. I might even have several laying around that I could send you.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:22 PM
MK19
Racer

Thanks Guy.....this helps. I'll post my findings (when I find it.......). MK19
Old 01-30-2011, 01:48 PM
MK19
Racer

DaveK.......you called it. Problem in the loom.
I used my ohm meter on both sides to try to find something odd by comparison and was able to find that wiggling the loom right at the last gromment on the wheel carrier caused a change in continuity on the right side brake wear sensor lead.......just where the wires bend the most due to steering motion. I sliced open the loom right there to find a frayed/broken wire. The wireing diagram helped me verify that it was a brake wear sensor wire and not the wheel speed sensor that is in the same sleeve. Splice, solder, shrink tube, tape and tie wraps and I'm back in business. But as DaveK says, a spice of a new leg of the loom at the firewall by the battery would be a much better long term fix.......now I need to find that piece of a loom. MK19
Old 01-30-2011, 06:07 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MK19
DaveK.......you called it. Problem in the loom.
I used my ohm meter on both sides to try to find something odd by comparison and was able to find that wiggling the loom right at the last gromment on the wheel carrier caused a change in continuity on the right side brake wear sensor lead.......just where the wires bend the most due to steering motion. I sliced open the loom right there to find a frayed/broken wire. The wireing diagram helped me verify that it was a brake wear sensor wire and not the wheel speed sensor that is in the same sleeve. Splice, solder, shrink tube, tape and tie wraps and I'm back in business. But as DaveK says, a spice of a new leg of the loom at the firewall by the battery would be a much better long term fix.......now I need to find that piece of a loom. MK19
I don't know the part number - but from memory I paid about £60. You guys usually pay the same in dollars (or often less), so it's a pretty inexpensive fix.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:28 PM
MK19
Racer

Got one DaveK.......Sunset Imports, $86US. Different part for left and right oddly.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Simi_911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MK19, can you post the part number so we have a reference to it next time someone has the same issue? Great job on posting your findings and how it was troubleshooted.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:03 PM
MK19
Racer

Will do on the p/n post when I recieve the invoice.

Quick Reply: Problem with Brake Pad Wear Sensor/Light