Sponsored by:

what's wrong with my clutch pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Guybrush Wilkinson
My clutch is rubbery too. And stiff on startup.

Bella1, what was the cost to replace the accumulator?

EDIT: I just took my car out for a test. Definitely accumulator. After turning off my car the clutch is stiff right away. I also tested my clutch driving 40 mph on 6th gear, pressing clutch, revving engine and then suddenly releasing the clutch.

Revs stayed up for awhile before coming down. Did the same on 5th gear, the revs came down a lot quickier.

Is my clutch starting to go?
Generally if the clutch slips the clutch is starting to go bad. I've never done the test you describe with my Turbo. I have given the engine full throttle at various engine speeds in all the 6 gears and the engine rpms and vehicle speed stay locked together so I know the clutch doesn't slip.

Now I seem to remember -- the memory is fading -- that there can be a motor mount/transmission mount problem that under some conditions (hard acceleration in the higher gears) that mimics either wheel spin (improbable given the physics of the situation) or clutch slippage. It is clutch slippage due to twisting of the engine/drive train that somehow partially releases the clutch and causes the clutch to slip under this load.

I'd be sure the engine and drivetrain mounts are in good condition.

If they are and the clutch still exhibits slippage if you can't avoid driving the car in such a way to avoid this then the clutch should be renewed. You do not want to slip the clutch so much it overheats the flywheel and possibly renders it unusable with the new clutch hardware.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: what's wrong with my clutch pedal?