Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what's wrong with my clutch pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 02:41 AM
TurboLove
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default what's wrong with my clutch pedal?

I have an 2003 996 TT with 30K miles. Here is something I've noticed recently: When I depress my clutch pedal, it feels kinda "rubbery" as I depress it; usually towards the end of the pedal motion going down. This is felt when I'm in first and second gear and starts to go away the faster and the higher the gears I shift. I also sometimes hear a creaking sound when the pedal goes down. As far as shifting is concerned, my gears catch like normal so no observable issues there. No slipping, etc. This "rubbery" feeling and sound is definitely not what I'm used to.

I realize diagnosing a problem on an internet board is definitely not optimal but I'm throwing it out in case others have experienced a similar type clutch 'feeling". Feel free to ask me anything else. What do you think could be going on??
Old 11-24-2010, 02:48 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Accumulators do tend to fail. Mine did - and although it didn't feel "rubbery" I could feel something through the pedal (a "buzzing" if I changed gear above 1500rpm).

After running the car, switch the ignition off and see how many times you can depress the clutch pedal before it becomes hard to press. If your accumulator is OK, it should be 10+ times. If your accumulator has died you'll probably find it's only a couple of times.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since the accumulator is only in play at cold start-up, I don't think that is the problem. More likely would be the clutch slave cylinder. To see if it is leaking you would have to put the car on a lift and look above the transmission to see it. If it's leaking, it is advised to replace both the slave and accumulator at the same time.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:49 PM
TurboLove
Intermediate

since I'm going to have her brought in for a 30K service, I'll mention some of these things too. Any idea what this may run me to replace- slave cylinder and accumulator??? Not like a complete clutch replacement I hope!
Old 11-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

It's reasonable compared to a clutch replacement but i can't remember the exact amount.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

Book on that is going to be about 6-8 hours worth of labor... Plus the parts, which are going for about $500 thru the usual sources online. Larry's right, don't bother doing one without doing the other.

Mike
Old 11-25-2010, 07:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Book on that is going to be about 6-8 hours worth of labor... Plus the parts, which are going for about $500 thru the usual sources online. Larry's right, don't bother doing one without doing the other.

Mike
^+1
If you do one, do the other while you're there.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:31 AM
TurboLove
Intermediate

folks, I felt like I should update everyone on what the ultimate problem turned out to be. I brought the car in for a 30K mile service last week and came equipped with some of the suggestions you all posted. Turns out it was the pressure accumulator! Yep, once it was replaced, the clutch felt like new and it was so smooth and easy. I'm surprised what a difference it makes! Shifting my car hasn't been this fun in a long time! wow! Just thought others might want to know. And thank you!!
Old 04-17-2011, 08:08 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you got it fixed!

I had a slave that was creaking. Felt and sounded like it was coming from the clutch pedal assembly, but sure enough- it was the slave itself.

Either do both at the same time, or a GT3 conversion.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:28 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I went through a bunch...went to to the gt2 mod from evoms....been happy every since, aka the gt3 conversion.

Parts are about 1k. Labor, per Kevin. No more pentosin to drip onto your exhaust...wonderful.

Jeff

(before you ask...serch gt2 clutch conversion here, at renntrack, and perhaps at 6speedonline...exhaustively discussed).

Jeff
Old 04-20-2011, 07:49 PM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboLove
folks, I felt like I should update everyone on what the ultimate problem turned out to be. I brought the car in for a 30K mile service last week and came equipped with some of the suggestions you all posted. Turns out it was the pressure accumulator! Yep, once it was replaced, the clutch felt like new and it was so smooth and easy. I'm surprised what a difference it makes! Shifting my car hasn't been this fun in a long time! wow! Just thought others might want to know. And thank you!!

My 2007 997 TT had the same issue at around 15k miles. The hydralic system is different on the 997 TT but the same parts were replaced. Understand it was a common problem for the 2007 (first year) production. Glad you got it fixed. Enjoy.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Turbolove, so what did an accumulator replacment cost you? Mine I think is on it's way out since first thing in the morning the clutch pedal is much harder to push, after that it's fine, even when parked for a couple of hours.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:43 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Have the same problem and I am having new accumulator installed tomorrow 2003 Turbo. Slave cylinder not an issue according to my mechanic. Accumulator around $175 and maybe 2 hours. Anything different I will try to post.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:08 AM
Roger Johnsen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good information and thanks for posting! My clutch has been feeling "off" but seems more like binding or just an overall lack of smoothness when depressing the clutch pedal. Mileage wise I'm at 34K on my MY '04 and was thinking it's way too early to be having clutch issues but may have to get it checked on my next service. I just passed a PPI around 4K miles ago and the clutch felt the same then but am not sure if this was something they would have checked or not.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Guybrush Wilkinson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bella1
Have the same problem and I am having new accumulator installed tomorrow 2003 Turbo. Slave cylinder not an issue according to my mechanic. Accumulator around $175 and maybe 2 hours. Anything different I will try to post.
My clutch is rubbery too. And stiff on startup.

Bella1, what was the cost to replace the accumulator?

EDIT: I just took my car out for a test. Definitely accumulator. After turning off my car the clutch is stiff right away. I also tested my clutch driving 40 mph on 6th gear, pressing clutch, revving engine and then suddenly releasing the clutch.

Revs stayed up for awhile before coming down. Did the same on 5th gear, the revs came down a lot quickier.

Is my clutch starting to go?

Last edited by Guybrush Wilkinson; 06-06-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Quick Reply: what's wrong with my clutch pedal?