Sponsored by:

Oil Change????? Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Kerrage
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change????? Help

I was one of those guys that waited too long to get the oil changed and now the ground has a foot of snow!!

Would anyone recommend doing it yourself? is there resources to go to? I am somewhat mech inclinded and have done my own on my other vehicles....Is there things you can mess up? I hear there is 4 drain plugs (yikes)

I have a 2002 996 tt with the 550 RUF package. Thanks Porsche Pros!!!!
Old 11-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrage
I was one of those guys that waited too long to get the oil changed and now the ground has a foot of snow!!

Would anyone recommend doing it yourself? is there resources to go to? I am somewhat mech inclinded and have done my own on my other vehicles....Is there things you can mess up? I hear there is 4 drain plugs (yikes)

Unless I had a nice place to work on the car I'd take it to the dealer. I supply the oil (9 quarts of oil) and pay the dealer around $120 for the change labor, fees, etc.

I've changed the Turbo's oil several times and I have all the tools but I don't recall the wrench sizes or torque settings.

There's a crankcase drain -- expect a liter or so of oil. There's the oil tank drain which one has to hold the tank from twisting while he loosens the drain plug. Expect a lot of oil from this drain! It just gushes out and if the drain pan too far away this oil will splash and make a mess.

I remove the oil drain on the after turbo oil trap, one per turbo. Some don't do this. Some do. The amount of oil drained is very small, but I believe what is important to note is that oil drains out and a similar amount per turbo.

IAC, you have to have new washers for the crankcase drain, the oil tank drain and each of the Turbo oil trap drains if you remove them.

Also, of course you need a new oil filter element, and o-rings. And torque settings for all drains and the filter housing.

When I change the oil I back the car up on Rhino Ramps. This gets the rear of the car high enough to give my plenty of room to work.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:41 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Unless I had a nice place to work on the car I'd take it to the dealer. I supply the oil (9 quarts of oil) and pay the dealer around $120 for the change labor, fees, etc.
Sweet jesus that is what I charge WITH the oil and filter and seals, lol.

Like Macster says, you can back it up on ramps and have plenty of room to work. Before I had the midrise, I would just back it up on 2x12 ramps that I use for loading my car on the trailer. It is a quick job, just make sure you have all the stuff on hand! 22x27 crush seal, 20x26 copper crush seal, and 2 18x22 crush seals, filter, oil. The oil out of the reservoir can make a huge mess as it comes out very quickly. If you are using an open drain pan, then I would advise changing the oil with the engine faily cold (just let it drain for quite awhile). If you heat it up, that oil will come out of there 100mph and hit the pan and paint your entire garage when it splashes out. The drain pans with only that little hole in the middle will not drain fast enough into the pan before you over flow it so be careful there. Before the lift, I cut out about a 4" hole in the middle of my covered pan lid which works well, as the oil goes through the hole and any splash is contained on the bottom of the cover.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:16 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I use my lift to raise the car about 2 feet and put a 5 gallon bucket under the tank drain plug with some waded up newspaper in it. Its amazing how fast that oil comes out and this saves cleaning up a real mess!
Old 11-24-2010, 09:58 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrage

Would love to see some pics of your car! I have a thing for red!!!
Old 11-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Kerrage
Instructor

Wow you guys are great> Macster....thanks again for taking the time to reply as with all of you...My take off is that I will have my dealer or Porsche shop do the first one and ill watch...and go from there....I like to do them myself as I find when its your own car you tend to do just a little bit better of a job.

Raineycd--ill put some pics up....

Thanks again you guys!!!
Old 11-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Kerrage
Instructor

heres a couple pics

Last edited by Kerrage; 10-10-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Bryce
Instructor

You know, I changed my oil a week ago and somehow forgot to put a crush washer in one of the turbo tanks. Wait 5k for the next oil change? Can I just jack the car up and put a new washer in without changing the whole oil again?
Old 11-25-2010, 06:16 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow beautiful car!!! Thanks for sharing some pics!!!
Old 11-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Bryce, you can undo the plug to replace the washer > a small amount of oil will drain out and stop.

Quick Reply: Oil Change????? Help