Sponsored by:

TT exhaust hack...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 03:46 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
In most every CA county you can't have anything other than stock as it would fail the visual part of the smog test. Either you don't live in CA, or you're lucky to live in one of the few counties that don't require testing (if there are anymore!).
bullsh*t. three tests on this exhaust. LA county. pass every two years.

lucky? i don't "feel" "lucky" and no one was doing me any favors either lol

add: now, if you had said that if you pull into a "star" test only station and the tester saw you had an aftermarket exhaust and told you he didn't even want to hook you up because of it? then i'd say that was possible and you were just UNlucky.

again, its the cats and passing the obd that matters.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:29 PM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

There are lots of TTs with aftermarket exhausts passing smog in Ca. Cat back exhaust is legal in Ca, and most smog techs don't know there is no such thing for our cars. I've heard claims of people passing with no cats since they did away with the sniffer test. As long as it isn't ridiculous looking or too loud, it's probably ok. Speedtech has the option to bolt on stock tips, which probably helps. My last test the tech spent a lot of time going through the engine compartment, but didn't even look under the car.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:55 PM
Drinaldis
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I love to find a cat-back system for the TT. Too bad Porsche didn't design it that way.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:59 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

My bad, I guess "cheating" a smog test is the same as "passing" smog?

For those who care, the laws are pretty clear: an executive order is needed for any aftermarket catalytic converter for it to be compliant/legal. The above info stating that any cat will pass CA smog or most all aftermarket exhausts are CA Smog Legal is the BS, no? There is not one aftermarket system that is CA smog legal with a BAR Executive Order. There are only weld-in cat replacements for the OE exhaust (and those all appear for a N/A 996, not a turbo), but I don't think that is what was referenced above.

And Jayzbird: Cat-back systems don't exist for a 996 turbo. Where have you heard of one?
Old 03-11-2017, 11:51 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by garrett376
My bad, I guess "cheating" a smog test is the same as "passing" smog?

For those who care, the laws are pretty clear: an executive order is needed for any aftermarket catalytic converter for it to be compliant/legal. The above info stating that any cat will pass CA smog or most all aftermarket exhausts are CA Smog Legal is the BS, no? There is not one aftermarket system that is CA smog legal with a BAR Executive Order. There are only weld-in cat replacements for the OE exhaust (and those all appear for a N/A 996, not a turbo), but I don't think that is what was referenced above.
while failing the strictest of technical criteria you so vehemently adhere to, i would proffer that passing smog with a catted exhaust is not "cheating". if you "pass"? then you didn't "cheat".

I never said that "any cat will pass smog" i said "the cats and the obd portion matter". is this subtle yet obvious distinction lost on you? i answered my own question.

if the tester is somehow "remiss" in their "passing" the cursory visual component of the "test" for a car that has cats ( that while not "carb" certified as you correctly point out ) but are in fact TUV certified, then that wouldn't be my problem. they look for cats, they plug in the obd and test for emissions.

but i'm sure you follow the letter of every law ( sure ya do..) when no one is looking, and you don't "cheat" on anything ever. in fact i bet you've never driven over the speed limit.. right?

either way i'm not gonna show you my cats OR lose sleep over your umbrage lol.

go hug a tree

add: btw and not for nothing. i saved my oem exhaust because i fear that people like you might one day be in charge of..

oh wait! ..
Old 03-12-2017, 12:01 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
a better investment perhaps? but the lift won't add power or sound better lol..

i've always been under the impression that the *improvement* in sound of a performance exhaust was directly proportional to the added performance that a tuned ( made for the car ) performance exhaust provides. there is *usually* a corollation between the two, even with a PSE which what..simply opens "baffles" no?

if so, that would explain then why a hacked OEM exhaust neither sounds any *better* ( really now, c'mon lol ) than it does provide any noticeable ( or any at all? ) measurable *increase" in HP or performance.

believe me, as i had one that came with the car. can we say... someone "cheaped out"? is all.

but anyone remember porsche by ken modded exhausts? someone bought em!

i file exhaust, along with tires, in the "get what ya pay for" column.
Good grief your pretentious 7ucking *****. Most of your comments on the forum are caustic and worthless, time for the block list for you.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:12 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

good, you've been reading my posts too often anyway. thanks.

but i noticed you said "most". couldnt help yourself lol

i just realized. i hurt your feelings when i shared my disdain for your idea of hacking your exhaust which was based upon my PERSONAL EXPERIENCE having had one.

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
Seriously though, dropping 2-3k for an exhaust just to get the sound I want is ridiculous to me. Im quite pleased with the stock performance and just want more sound. The 2-3k will be going into a lift though which seems like a better investment for me.
what i meant to say was: go ahead! hacking a hole into your 15 year old exhaust is a terrifically well thought out and time honored mod LOL. i am sorry mr snowflake

Last edited by "02996ttx50; 03-12-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:19 AM
mark_schnell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drudged up this hack thread in frustration over not being able to find a reasonably-priced aftermarket exhaust system that is advertised as CARB legal. If anyone has links to LEGAL exhaust solutions, with- or without- muffler bypass, please post those links. I would much prefer to shelve the stock system and bolt-on a better aftermarket system (and build in my own bypass in the aftermarket system if it doesn't have one already).

This is the only system I've found that doesn't have a warning about not being street-legal:
Cargraphic TUV sound version at Vivid Racing $5000.

I think it would be better to focus on alternative solutions. If there's a decent system out there, please let the community know.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:47 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

if the exhaust has cats and passes the testers visual and obd testing it is LEGAL to run. the chp isn't going to flag an aftermarket catted exhaust unless you are some hot dog that got busted doing stupid sh*t on public roads and they need to find something questionable about your car to take you off the road.

that's why there are THOUSANDS of porsche's driving around los angeles with aftermarket exhausts legally. they were tested ( presumably ) with the exhaust installed and PASSED like i do.

i dont understand why this is so difficult to comprehend. yes, the kline and others have not been issued a carb number ( so sure they are an outlaw part lol ) yet they do pass the strict emission standards set by the CA-ARB particularly with 200 cats. that's what matters. if you aren't comfortable with an exhaust missing a carb number on it, then stick with stock or cut/drill into the oem which in my direct experience is a waste of time.

again, i've passed at different stations with aftermarket exhausts on 4 ( now ) separate occasions. i'll post up my next results as well. they will be the same. passed with a kline 200 cel catted exhaust. TUV certified but not carb certified.

however, if you have an aftermarket exhaust and the tester "refuses" to test the car? just go to another place.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:56 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_schnell
I drudged up this hack thread in frustration over not being able to find a reasonably-priced aftermarket exhaust system that is advertised as CARB legal. If anyone has links to LEGAL exhaust solutions, with- or without- muffler bypass, please post those links. I would much prefer to shelve the stock system and bolt-on a better aftermarket system (and build in my own bypass in the aftermarket system if it doesn't have one already).

This is the only system I've found that doesn't have a warning about not being street-legal:
Cargraphic TUV sound version at Vivid Racing $5000.

I think it would be better to focus on alternative solutions. If there's a decent system out there, please let the community know.
I mean all these aftermarket exhaust ,200 cel cats etc you do not get a check engine light.

There has to be an inspection shop in cali that will pass your car with aftermarket exhaust. Im sure not everyone is playing by the rules.

Even if you have to "pay" for a sticker
Old 03-13-2017, 07:47 PM
mark_schnell
Instructor

Ok, you convinced me to give up on my plan to hack my exhaust for the time being. If I get a burr about it later, I'll buy a spare off ebay and experiment with it.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:16 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

fk it. you can use mine and see if you like it. its all of 8 miles away lol

seriously. got a pickup truck?
Old 03-14-2017, 03:54 PM
mark_schnell
Instructor

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
fk it. you can use mine and see if you like it. its all of 8 miles away lol

seriously. got a pickup truck?
Thanks for the kind offer (as clarified in PM that I could use it as a test to see if I like it as hacked with internals removed), but I was looking to do something different. As it is, I don't have time before I send the car in to get work done and will likely fabricate something based off an aftermarket setup.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:01 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I own a 1995 993 RUF BTR. All I did was remove the muffler. Sounds great. Not terribly loud and zero drone. Anyone done that with a 996tt? Best part it cost $350.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:40 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by mark_schnell
Thanks for the kind offer (as clarified in PM that I could use it as a test to see if I like it as hacked with internals removed), but I was looking to do something different. As it is, I don't have time before I send the car in to get work done and will likely fabricate something based off an aftermarket setup.

hah!

NP! as for me.. I've decided to not to discuss exhaust hacks online again. i've joined an i-phone forum and also a russian conspiracy theory group instead

per pm...if you ever do want to see how they hacked mine? you're welcome to it. cheers.

Quick Reply: TT exhaust hack...