Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSM/ABS failure warning message

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 06:08 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 142 Posts

996 123 115 71 is the part# of the wastegate ? A failure of the wastegate can affect turbo boost but I don't think it will affect the idle....
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2010, 11:57 PM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is actually the boost controller for the left turbo. I'm waiting for the part to arrive and I was told not to get on boost as it could cause an overboost condition.

I think I shall replace both diverter valves at the same time for good measure. The car also has a problem with warm starts where it has been parked for about 30 mins to an hour before restarting. The idle drops and the engine sometimes stalls for the first 10-30 seconds until it hits normal operating temp. Cold starts (where the engine is running rich anyway) and hot starts are fine. My theory right now is a vacuum leak that the engine management system has to compensate for, or a bad reading from the oxygen sensor before it gets up to temp. I replaced the MAF recently, so I don't think that's the issue. I wonder whether disconnecting the battery so the DME can learn the readings from the new MAF sensor might help?
Old 11-04-2010, 03:31 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same problem, a while back it would only happen under heavy acceleration, or at the track, under heavy G's. Upgraded both front wheel speed sensors to GT2 sensors, problem improved, but now is back with a vengeance! Now the lights come on almost each and everytime the car is turned on, and the ABS ocassionally goes off (active) even with mild, slow speeds, brake application (I can feel the pedal vibrating).

My car has an Agency Power airbox, the MAF is about 2 years old (stock), so I don't think that's the issue. I've been told it could be the ABS module? I also have Forge racing silicone boost hoses, and billet DV's. Under WOT I do hear a slight "raspberry-like" sound coming off the left rear, could be a leak, boost under WOT is solid @ 1.1 bar, no hesitation (have Kevin's UMW flash).

Any and all ideas will be heard/appreciated. My last resort will be taking it to the dealership, as the closest one is 400 miles north!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:00 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

No suggestions? Anyone?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:55 PM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^The root cause of your issues are different from mine. There are many failure modes that can cause the PASM/ABS warning lights to come on. Without a scanner to pull the trouble code, you won't know for sure what is going on with your car.

My car has a hesitation and bucking from off throttle to on throttle as the car transitions from a cold running to hot running condition (water temp just approaching 180F). This only occurs for 10-15 seconds, and I'm not sure if it disappears due to Motronic compensation or there's a bad reading from one of the sensors as the car gets up to temperature. This may be related or unrelated to the PASM warning lights that my mechanic has traced to a failing boost controller. Since I've been driving the car gently and not using the boost, I have yet to receive any more failure messages. I shall replace the diverter valves and the boost controller to see if it helps with both symptoms. Keep your fingers crossed for my poor, sick Turbo.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Autobaunauto
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a ABS PSM failure light that comes on as soon as the car is started. Car runs fine. It periodically came on and would go off for weeks or months now is on all the time? Any ideas
Old 05-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

How can your car run fine without the ABS??

Do you have a aftermarket airbox? Did your car ever have one?

Three common causes

1) Failed MAF sensor

2) Brake pedal switch

3) Intake leak

Have you READ the stored codes in your ECU?

Time to buy a code reader, code clearing tool..

Quick Reply: PSM/ABS failure warning message