Sponsored by:

Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump

Anybody have problems with the power steering pump? Car has about 20k miles on it. It's a DD now after slight use for the first 7 years. I'm expecting to have some issues as I start to drive her more but I'm wondering if the power steering pump has been problematic. A year ago the PO had noise from this area and the dealer replaced the serpentine belt and the reservoir. Problem is back and we think it is a bearing in the pump
Old 08-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Receiver
Anybody have problems with the power steering pump? Car has about 20k miles on it. It's a DD now after slight use for the first 7 years. I'm expecting to have some issues as I start to drive her more but I'm wondering if the power steering pump has been problematic. A year ago the PO had noise from this area and the dealer replaced the serpentine belt and the reservoir. Problem is back and we think it is a bearing in the pump
If a Porsche dealer did the work a year ago and less than 24K miles there might still be some warranty on the work, if it proves the work or replaced parts bad, to blame.

No power steering pump problems but my slightly used 03 Turbo (9500 miles when I bought it in June of 2009) developed at around 34K miles a dry bearing noise from the area of the power steering pump.

Turned out to be a bad serpentine belt idler roller bearing. The least expensive one to replace I was told. Even so I was glad the car was covered by a CPO warranty.

The idler was the closest to the power steering pump. Be sure it is the power steering pump and not an idler bearing, or possibly some other item making the noise.

Does the noise change or is it affected any by turning the wheel full lock in one direction or another? Do not leave the wheel turned full lock for any length of time as this is hard on the power steering system.

If the power steering pump generally the bearing at the pulley end (if it is a bearing and not something internal to the pump proper) goes bad. This can show up as radial and axial play if the pulley is wiggled with the belt removed.

Also, the play in the bearing can cause the belt to rub one (or both) of its edges against the power steering pulley or another pulley. Check the belt edges. If one edge sharp and the other more rounded like a new belt this is a sign the belt's rubbing. Look for signs of rubbing on all the pulleys.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:35 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Please note for the record "gents" I replaced a customers power steering pump last year with a NEW Genuine Porsche unit to have it fail a year later. Two years warranty on the parts but Zero labor $$$ for me.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:10 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you ever get the high pitched squealing sound from the engine compartment? That is the power steering pump. I had mine replaced. You have 2 choices, a rebuilt one or a 997 unit which also requires it's own updated reservoir. I went for the 997 parts and have not had any recurring problems.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Do you ever get the high pitched squealing sound from the engine compartment? That is the power steering pump. I had mine replaced. You have 2 choices, a rebuilt one or a 997 unit which also requires it's own updated reservoir. I went for the 997 parts and have not had any recurring problems.
If you're asking me, yes. A high pitched squealing noise that could be coming from the engine compartment. It is hard to get a fix on where it is coming from -- my hearing is not the best -- but common sense says that is it's most likely location so that's where I think I hear it.

I hear this noise upon slowing down -- in the lower gears (6-speed) driving in town. If I depress the clutch the noise goes away.

The noise is not loud and several techs have been in the car, driven the car, and have not suggested there's anything wrong. Car is covered by CPO warranty so I believe it would be to their benefit to find something wrong if at all possible.

Sometime soon I intend to have the car checked at another dealer and we'll see what the techs have to say at this other dealer.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:00 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

That should be the PS reservoir. There's a TSB on it- if the squeal goes away when you push in the clutch.

I had mine replaced with the 997 reservoir- no more noise. There were rumors that the old reservoir would leak fluid onto the exhaust- resulting in a fire.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by PAULUNM
That should be the PS reservoir. There's a TSB on it- if the squeal goes away when you push in the clutch.

I had mine replaced with the 997 reservoir- no more noise. There were rumors that the old reservoir would leak fluid onto the exhaust- resulting in a fire.
Thanks. That describes it. Do you have the TSB number? Since the car is a CPO car will the warranty allow for the 997 reservior to be used or must the original 996 reservior be used?

(To answer my own question it just occured to me the TSB might specify the 997 reservior be used. And even if not if reqiured I wouldn't objecto paying the difference to have the 997 reservior used.)

How bad does the noise have to get before the reservior is replaced? Also, I guess could use the threat of a car fire to maybe push harder to get this done now. Since alot of my car use is on long distance drives a long ways from dealers (and fire trucks...) I need this addressed to restore my confidence in the road-worthiness and safety of the vehicle and thus restore my enjoyment of the vehicle.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:21 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 142 Posts

If I can help....There is the TSB
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My tech told me that the 997 reservoir fits a 997 pump. For the CPO you may have to go with the 996 part. I'm basing that on the 996 part number they are showing in the TSB.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Very good. Thank you very much. Printed and I'll keep a copy in the car and have this done soon.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:50 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think the 996 part is available anymore. I could be mistaken, but pretty sure the 997 part superseded the 996...

I had mine changed under warranty (not CPO)- and my mechanic installed the 997 part.

If you search Suncoast for the PN in the TSB, nothing comes up...

Last edited by PAULUNM; 08-14-2010 at 11:57 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-15-2010, 12:33 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 142 Posts

I wonder if you can put a 997 tank on a 996 pump because on Pelican if you put the pump # 996 314 050 51 it work and when you enter the reservoir number (autoatlanta parts cat) part# 996 314 220 51 it is supersede by part# 997 314 920 50 and if you put the TSB revised part# 996 314 920 34 it give you another supersede number #997 314 920 31. Confusing, isn't it!
Old 08-15-2010, 09:19 AM
whiteturbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering

Good luck with the CPO after three letters and a few calls to them they still never replaced mine. I have heard of some getting it replaced buy they would not help me and i had less than 3,000 miles on mine. I will never again put much faith in the CPO warranty. I have had better results with aftermarket.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Replaced the power steering pump. Problem solved.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:21 AM
fedmax
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, just found this thread. If you listen to the sound in my video, did your issue sound similar? http://www.swissportal.net/videos/IMG_0357.MOV

if you cannot play the video, K-Lite Codec Pack is the resolution, you can play everything after you install that codec package: http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump