Porsche Basics for a new guy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Drew's 996
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Basics for a new guy!

Hey all,
My wife bought me a 2003 996 Turbo Tip (22k miles) while I was away on a short deployment.

What are the basic things I need to know about this car to keep her running in top shape?

Already replaced the battery, kept draining itself.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Drew's 996
AutoX

Old 08-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Drew's 996
AutoX

Old 08-04-2010, 06:36 PM
brooklynkid
Instructor

congrats!! cleary you have a great wife with good taste. Id get a report on the car from a local porsche dealer and check what has been done or not done on the car. 20k is pretty low miles, I bought mine with 30k and needed plugs and a clutch so you never know.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew's 996
Hey all,
My wife bought me a 2003 996 Turbo Tip (22k miles) while I was away on a short deployment.

What are the basic things I need to know about this car to keep her running in top shape?

Already replaced the battery, kept draining itself.

Thanks in advance!
Looks great! Great wife, too. I have an 03 Turbo I bought a year ago with just under 10K miles and which now has just over 40K miles.

Great car!

What I did was shortly after I bought the car I brought all services up to date. They weren't over due but close enough to being due that I wanted to get fluids refreshed and get on a service schedule. This included oil/filter, alignment, brake fluid flush/bleed.

Then at 30K miles I had the spark plugs changed. They're due on miles or time (4 years) and they were original so I replaced them on time.

Some advise replacing the coil packs at the same time as plugs but I didn't. Car did not exhibit any behavior that suggested coil packs required replacing and tech told me after the plugs replaced he spotted no signs the packs needed replacing. Now my car covered by CPO warranty so I could afford -- so to speak -- to be wrong cause if it turned out, or turns out (warranty runs til June 2011 or 100K miles) coil packs need replacing this work will be covered under warranty.

Anyhow, I either do it myself or have it done and that is an oil/filter service every 5K miles. I switched from Mobil 1 0w-40 to Castrol Syntec 5w-50.

I had the front diff fluid changed shortly after I bought the car and the tranny/rear diff fluid changed at 35K miles but in an unexpected fashion. Tech found transmission (6-speed) leaking around a selector shaft seal and tranny replaced under CPO warranty. Replacement transmssion came with fresh fluid, of course.

Basically though just keep the car serviced and clean and drive it regularly. Keep an eye on vital fluids -- oil level, coolant level (if coolant cap part number doesn't end in 03 or 04 just buy a new cap and replace it -- both cap on my 02 Boxster and the Turbo developed a leak and had to be replaced) and keep an eye out for any signs of fluid leaks under the car or at the radiators/A/C condensors.

I allow the engine a moment or two of idling from a cold start -- until the engine rpms drop to near normal idle speed -- before driving away. Plus I drive the car easy until fully warmed up -- then it can get the cane! -- and before shutting the engine off drive easy for a few minutes or let the engine idle a bit to give the engine/turbos plenty of time to shed any heat load they might have accumulated during more spirited driving.

Keep an eye on tire pressures and with a proper alignment and reasonably sane driving expect nearly 15K miles from the rear tires and double or triple that from the fronts. (18" Continentals in case of my Turbo.)

Anyhow, I have practiced the above since buying the Turbo and have done it with my 02 Boxster which has just over 234K miles. Boxster (and Turbo) run just fine.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful car and great wife. Enjoy.

Depending on whether you will drive it daily or once in a while, get a battery maintainer because these cars drain the battery when they sit.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:18 AM
Drew's 996
AutoX

Thanks for the advise Macster!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:29 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Drew's 996
Thanks for the advise Macster!
You're welcome. Oh, and a bit more advise if you don't mind: Whatever you do, do not forget your wedding anniversary, your lovely wife's birthday, Valentine's Day, at random times observe the fact she's lost a few pounds and looks even better than the day you first met her, and take her out once in a while to a chick flick, even if it kills you, but do not die during movie! Wait. Think about driving the Turbo until the end credits roll.

Oh, and I posted a pic of my 03 Turbo. Central valley CA on road between 99 and I-5.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Drew's 996
AutoX

Thanks again Macster for that awesome bit of advise! I haven't forgotten any yet but I am getting older now, lol! Your car looks pretty sharp too, I like the color!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in 100% agreement with Macster - you are one lucky guy!!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Does your wife know my wife? Mine bought my GT3 for my birthday several years back. Lucky men we are.

Congrats on your Turbo. She's a beauty! Enjoy in good health
Old 08-05-2010, 09:23 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
You're welcome. Oh, and a bit more advise if you don't mind: Whatever you do, do not forget your wedding anniversary, your lovely wife's birthday, Valentine's Day, at random times observe the fact she's lost a few pounds and looks even better than the day you first met her, and take her out once in a while to a chick flick, even if it kills you, but do not die during movie! Wait. Think about driving the Turbo until the end credits roll.

Oh, and I posted a pic of my 03 Turbo. Central valley CA on road between 99 and I-5.

Sincerely,

Macster.

You are amazing Macster. I like the way you handle this one and agree our wife deserve our complete respect!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by jpflip
You are amazing Macster. I like the way you handle this one and agree our wife deserve our complete respect!
Well like my car experience I came by my marriage experience the hard way...

For instance, when asked on what after a lot of crying you'll learn is your wedding anniversary: "Honey, do you know what day this is?", do not answer "Yes, it is 2 years, 3 months, 1 week and 14 hours since I installed the Isky cam in the new motor."

A box of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups -- as a last minute Valentine Day gift -- just doesn't cut it. And I only ate a few pieces before I gave it to her.

When looking through the wedding photo album do not no matter what after viewing a picture of your wife on her wedding day turn around and say to her "Gosh, you sure have aged.".

And a girl-girl **** movie is not a chick flick. And believe it or not neither is a girl-girl-girl **** movie.

Still we were getting along ok I thought: Funny kind of but not too long before the divorce I had to dodge gunfire upon arriving home way late at night. I've heard of dreaming of walking in the woods during a sleep walking episode but never walking through a target shooting range. But that's what my wife claims happened. Still, I have my doubts. I never knew her to go to bed with her firing range ear protectors on before.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Drew's 996
AutoX

LOL, too funny! I'll heed your advice and also lock the gun cabinet up as well!
Old 08-05-2010, 11:24 PM
ECB
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
A box of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups -- as a last minute Valentine Day gift -- just doesn't cut it. And I only ate a few pieces before I gave it to her.
For both Valentine's Day and Anniversary this year, I did some white chocolate covered pretzels, some Ghirardelli chocolates, and flowers. I guess that's why I'm still waiting for my Porsche.
BTW, Beautiful car Drew!

Quick Reply: Porsche Basics for a new guy!