Sponsored by:

Brief clatter at start up ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:00 PM
jpeytonii
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpflip
Thanks! I didn't know GT3 suffer of that annoying noise.... I cross my fingers but since I am using Mobil TDT it is completely gone ????? But of course I made only 1000 miles so far with this new oil....
Even after letting it sit for close to a week or more? That is surprising.

Cheers.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:23 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jpeytonii
Even after letting it sit for close to a week or more? That is surprising.

Cheers.
Right now, I am starting the car every three weeks because it is in storage and no clatter anymore. But the same thing happen last year after I've decided to switch to Castrol Syntec but the clatter was gone for the first 1000 kms only and came back .... So I will report after 3500 kms just before my next oil change....

Last edited by jpflip; 02-27-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-05-2024, 06:39 PM
Merritt_Wes
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clattering on Startup Threw CEL but Runs Well

Reviving this thread because it was very helpful this past weekend. The first startup immediately after my annual oil change (trusted indie Fairfield County Motorsports) produced a lot of clattering and threw a CEL sunday morning. Car had been sitting in the garage for 9 days after the oil change. Once the engine was up to temps, it ran extremely smooth without any issue. drove it another 35 miles this morning, and still driving very well (with no clattering on start up this morning). CEL still there, and I'll have an OBDII hooked up to it tomorrow to pull the code. @jpeytonii post was reassuring that it did not seem anything major was wrong but will write back here with an update soon.
Old 06-05-2024, 07:36 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

After 15 years I still got this clatter on cold start and I got a strong clatter after oil change. I tried every type of oil and also viscosity, Shell, Mobil, Liqui Moly, Castrol, 0W40, 5W40, mix of different viscosity. Every oil change I send a sample to Blackstone Lab and the result is always perfect.... If you look at this video keep an eye on the oil pressure. As soon the oil pressure goes up the clatter stop.... Of course if I pull the fuel pump fuse C4 and turn the engine more than 10 second this will eliminate the noise on start.....

The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (06-05-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 12:51 PM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 128 Posts

This is exactly what mine is doing. I was worried it was a bad lifter or something. The PO had 5W-50 put in during the last change and all I have done is maybe put in a quart of 5W-40. I doubt the oil is the issue.

Old 06-06-2024, 12:56 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by QwikKotaTX
This is exactly what mine is doing. I was worried it was a bad lifter or something. The PO had 5W-50 put in during the last change and all I have done is maybe put in a quart of 5W-40. I doubt the oil is the issue.

https://youtu.be/Jh1nx6QflSg?si=owgWD71IjmYmlCmJ
Exactly the same sound!!!!!! I got no metal in the filter, Labstone test is good, long live the TT "clater" LOL!!!!
Old 06-06-2024, 01:05 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,191 Likes on 3,170 Posts

Love my clatter.
jpflip (06-06-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 01:18 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 890 Likes on 603 Posts

I just got the same noise after sitting for a week when I was away. I had never heard it before, sure it's normal, and I just changed my oil, but did use a Baldwin versus OE filter.
jpflip (06-06-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 01:24 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by jpflip
After 15 years I still got this clatter on cold start and I got a strong clatter after oil change. I tried every type of oil and also viscosity, Shell, Mobil, Liqui Moly, Castrol, 0W40, 5W40, mix of different viscosity. Every oil change I send a sample to Blackstone Lab and the result is always perfect.... If you look at this video keep an eye on the oil pressure. As soon the oil pressure goes up the clatter stop.... Of course if I pull the fuel pump fuse C4 and turn the engine more than 10 second this will eliminate the noise on start.....
Here is my 15+ year report and I wince whenever I hear that ( yes, same here ) on startup. However, it only happens in extremely high ambient outdoor temperatures and my know nothing "theory" is that the oil has all sheared/drained off the moving parts ( the chain rattle ! ) and that's the "cause". It's never been a sound I enjoyed. More like "winced".

M1 5-50 "helped" but the same cold start in hot temps still exists. The only saving grace for me is I now have far more ominous things to be concerned with.
jpflip (06-06-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 01:27 PM
Lazurus
Pro

https://youtu.be/Jh1nx6QflSg?si=owgWD71IjmYmlCmJ
That's "our" noise alright! By now, I'd say "normal".

They let your battery run low good thing it started. Nice Aero too!
Old 06-06-2024, 02:47 PM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazurus
That's "our" noise alright! By now, I'd say "normal".

They let your battery run low good thing it started. Nice Aero too!
It died a few days later before I figured out the car needed to be locked to keep from draining the battery. Somehow that battery still works fine even if I let it sit about a week.

Thanks. The front aero lip was stuffed between the pass seat and the door all nicely bubble wrapped. Much to my dismay, it was an aftermarket black piece with a giant hole in it. UGH
Old 06-06-2024, 03:17 PM
Lazurus
Pro

It died a few days later before I figured out the car needed to be locked to keep from draining the battery. Somehow that battery still works fine even if I let it sit about a week.

Thanks. The front aero lip was stuffed between the pass seat and the door all nicely bubble wrapped. Much to my dismay, it was an aftermarket black piece with a giant hole in it. UGH
I love the look of those 996 Aero wings. I had to settle for a Strosek copy of a Techart Type 1 (?). It looks nice but not "factory" nice.

Back OT! It is really hot here low 100's and just the other day as I was cleaning the car up from it's two weeks on jackstands ! I started the car and of course heard.... rattle/chatter/accker whew. I swear it's just momentary "oil starved" sounds. But it is an awful sound, to be sure!
jpflip (06-06-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 03:36 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 107 Posts

I love the look of those 996 Aero wings. I had to settle for a Strosek copy of a Techart Type 1 (?). It looks nice but not "factory" nice.

Back OT! It is really hot here low 100's and just the other day as I was cleaning the car up from it's two weeks on jackstands ! I started the car and of course heard.... rattle/chatter/accker whew. I swear it's just momentary "oil starved" sounds. But it is an awful sound, to be sure!
I had the front of my car on jackstands for over a week and when i got the front coillovers installed so i could move the thing, it chattered. I am using a mix of mobil 1 5w50/5w40 and it has less than a 1000 miles on it since the change, and it was hot out.

It concerned me too but I remember reading about it and it went away shortly after starting. It didn't do it when I changed the oil but I did prime the engine before I started it.
jpflip (06-06-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 05:37 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Originally Posted by vtec_
I had the front of my car on jackstands for over a week and when i got the front coillovers installed so i could move the thing, it chattered. I am using a mix of mobil 1 5w50/5w40 and it has less than a 1000 miles on it since the change, and it was hot out.

It concerned me too but I remember reading about it and it went away shortly after starting. It didn't do it when I changed the oil but I did prime the engine before I started it.
Priming is yet another long debated issue on these I've never bothered but hey. It's one fuse pull right? Funny, as I also used to mix my oil in my younger days w 5/50 and 5/40! But then I got lazy and TBH the 5/50 M1 is the best oil I have found that not only quiets the infamous "Mezger Rattle". Hopefully minimizes that horrible "oil starved screech" we all hear but will never get used too. Ok, maybe I no longer "wince" but that's the feeling it's like... WTH is that!?

I just want to know how my car's entire electrical system died on me while on a C-Tek and up on stands. Yet another WTH moment.
jpflip (06-06-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 08:37 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 107 Posts

Priming is yet another long debated issue on these I've never bothered but hey. It's one fuse pull right? Funny, as I also used to mix my oil in my younger days w 5/50 and 5/40! But then I got lazy and TBH the 5/50 M1 is the best oil I have found that not only quiets the infamous "Mezger Rattle". Hopefully minimizes that horrible "oil starved screech" we all hear but will never get used too. Ok, maybe I no longer "wince" but that's the feeling it's like... WTH is that!?

I just want to know how my car's entire electrical system died on me while on a C-Tek and up on stands. Yet another WTH moment.
Yeah, I mean this is an expensive car for me so I figured why not? I've pulled the motor out of my dc2 integra a few times to re-seal somethings or if I drop the oil pan gasket and let it sit for awhile I will just unplug the injectors and crank it for 15 seconds or so but when it comes to oil changes on most of my cars I never prime it and have never had an issue. Then again most of my other cars except my mk3 supra do not have an oil pressure gauge lol.

Im assuming it matters as these are dry sump motors?

It is actually a mix of 0W40/50W50, not sure if that matters.

Quick Reply: Brief clatter at start up ?