Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2 Slave Conversion wear the clutch faster?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 01:12 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

Joe that won't be a good indication. The reinforced pressure plate and LWFW is stiffer. Remember the GT2 uses a dual mass flywheel and a stock turbo pressure plate.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:50 AM
Lysoleverywhere
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Okay that makes sense. Certainly there has to be a factory car out there with similar clutch stiffness? A Ford mustang? Lamborghini Diablo? I will go clutch whoring around the city if I have to.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:08 AM
tvurt
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I drive mine in rush hour traffic all the time. EVOMS conversion. Stock flywheel and sachs stage 4/cluchmasters clutch.

Amazing upgrade. The clutch bites at exactly the same point now. It is a bit stiff, but only in comparison with the stock mushy unit.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Lysoleverywhere
Instructor

tvurt, is it your daily?
Old 08-03-2010, 05:54 PM
dacbap
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lysoleverywhere
I've been bugging him non-stop for the past 2 weeks as he's building some Turbos for me. Trying to give the guy a break.
While the engine is out if your going bigger turbo's are you considering on changing your turbo intake piping? now would be the time.. I wish I knew
Old 08-03-2010, 06:25 PM
tvurt
Racer

Kinda a DD, about 3 days a week March - November. Even tho the pedal is harder to push, the GT2 slave mod made the car a BETTER DD, as it is easy to feel your engagement on hills and in stop and go.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Lysoleverywhere
Instructor

The dyno shows how much improvement with the intake piping upgrade?

Originally Posted by dacbap
While the engine is out if your going bigger turbo's are you considering on changing your turbo intake piping? now would be the time.. I wish I knew
Old 08-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 75 Posts

It's all about air flow efficiency and cooler air temps... The intake piping and the stock intercoolers are probably the most overlooked "upgrades" in the system...

And they're still not done on mine either... Although Mine came with GT2 units... they're still not very efficient.
Mike
Old 08-04-2010, 01:17 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lysoleverywhere
The dyno shows how much improvement with the intake piping upgrade?
I haven't seen dyno results for any of the intake piping upgrades. I opted not to do this when I was having the turbos and clutch upgraded, mostly because of the cost, but also the lack of data showing its value. My car is currently limited by fueling, so I doubt that it would make a significant difference for me.

Intercoolers are definitely worth upgrading, IMO. But I think it depends on how you use your car. For track sessions, where you are into the boost for 20-30 minutes, they definitely will heat soak. When I was logging data, I saw that after 3-4 pulls the inlet air temps went up a couple of degrees. So for occasional spirited street driving, stock intercoolers are probably ok too. This is an easy one to test - hook up your durametric and drive the way you think will be the most taxing, and log the inlet air temps.

Jon
Old 08-04-2010, 02:01 PM
dacbap
Instructor

Agreed, by its self very little to no gain, but as I said while the engine was out that would be the time to change the piping to save the labor of dropping the engine. Evoms seemed reasonable for parts however without larger intercoolers and intake piping/TB & plenum to see increased air flow for moddest 20 - 30 gains was shown on the other forum.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:16 PM
tvurt
Racer

Its not just the gain, of "only" 20-30 hp, it is the shift of the turbo spool a 100-200 rpms lower. I would do the pipes if you are at the K24/18g / billet K16 / A28 level or higher.

John D at speedtech is running a special on a new intake plenum and hard pipes right now.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:49 PM
dacbap
Instructor

yea thats why I said moddest, I didn't want the "show me the dyno". bcz it depends on your complete set up, I'm running Alpha's 3071's, did the intercoolers and had the chance to do the piping but didn't know enough at the time. There will be soon I hope so I can finish, if there is ever such a thing ha!
Old 08-04-2010, 02:53 PM
tvurt
Racer

I have seen several installs where the intake pipes were done with the engine in place. You have to cut the factory pipes with a saw and install intake pipes that are split with a coupler in the middle.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 75 Posts

Really wish Kevin would chime in here...

The reason you want to do it has nothing to do with "added" power, but making the motor work more efficiently while reducing the stress on the motor... For those of us tracking this is the smartest money I think you can spend to make that long block and turbos live a happy and fruitful life!

Mike
Old 08-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

Adding a side/rear plenum kit that increases the diameter of your turbo inlet piping will reduce the backpressure to the turbochargers. You hear of guys bolting on GT3071's and 20G's with stock plastic piping. It's like using a coffee stir straw to drink your Coke.

The main benifit is spooling up the turbochargers "quicker" >> anytime that you have lag reduction you will build MORE engine torque sooner. You really won't see more PEAK HP due to the boost staying the same. You will see your torque curve moving to the LEFT up to 500RPM's.

Quick Reply: GT2 Slave Conversion wear the clutch faster?