Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 "Cobalt Blue" - What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Todds911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 "Cobalt Blue" - What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/911-T...item1c132e74f1

I found this on Ebay (how many times have posts started with this sentence?? lol)

I'd prefer to see it listed by the original owner, of course, but was wondering what your thoughts were.

I have had red and black 911s in the past, so I think I may finally be moving away from the standard p-car colors. I would have never thought I'd be interested in blue, but this "Cobalt" blue is pretty interesting to me, and the interior is completely unique to me with the color match and seatbelts. (I know, a little flashy).

Is Cobalt Blue an OEM color for 2001? How rare is this color for the year? I've never seen the color combination with that type of interior on any year.

I'm sure there is more to the story, but the price/mileage combination seems favorable to me.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 06-14-2010, 10:14 AM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

I think the car looks awesome, the only thing I didnt like was the wood. $38k seems fair for an 01 with 57k miles, just make sure you get a good PPI
Old 06-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Todds911
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/911-T...item1c132e74f1

I found this on Ebay (how many times have posts started with this sentence?? lol)

I'd prefer to see it listed by the original owner, of course, but was wondering what your thoughts were.

I have had red and black 911s in the past, so I think I may finally be moving away from the standard p-car colors. I would have never thought I'd be interested in blue, but this "Cobalt" blue is pretty interesting to me, and the interior is completely unique to me with the color match and seatbelts. (I know, a little flashy).

Is Cobalt Blue an OEM color for 2001? How rare is this color for the year? I've never seen the color combination with that type of interior on any year.

I'm sure there is more to the story, but the price/mileage combination seems favorable to me.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Todd
Can't help you on the color questions. I do like the color. The presence of wood doesn't bother me. (I looked at a Carmona Red 911 with the very dark wood treatment -- I forget the name of the wood -- that looked damn nice. The exterior color a bit a change from the blacks, silvers, grays, and a bit of wood in the cabin tends to soften the interior a bit.)

Good set of pics. All I could spot was front and rear tires appear to not match.

I'm not current on 2001 Turbo market values so I can't advise you regarding the price.

If you like the car keep moving forward. I'd not buy it without seeing the car in person and partaking of a good long test ride and drive. If nothing turns up bad then assuming I felt I could make a deal for the car I'd have a PPI done and be sure this includes pulling the overrev counter values.

Post readings here for analysis and comment.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:39 AM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Not sure about that car. the steering wheel has a blue leather airbag but the wheel is Black...I am guessing the bags went off at some point.
The carfax says no accident but that is not always correct.

Love the color but those wheels would have to go.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by judd944
Not sure about that car. the steering wheel has a blue leather airbag but the wheel is Black...I am guessing the bags went off at some point.

The steering wheel air bag looks black in one pic and has a blue tint in others.

Still worth noting. You've got good eyes.

One assumes this is always the case, but it bears stressing: A read of the air bag deployment count should be part of the PPI. The air bag controller can be replaced after the max. deployment count reached (3 IIRC), and in fact can be replaced after just one deployment so a count of 0 is not 100% proof the car has not experienced any air bag deployment incident.

(Generally, if one or both air bags go off the seat belt pre-tensioners fire too and the seat belt or belts will have to be replaced. Different seat belts, or a new seat belt on the driver's side compared to the passenger's side always a flag raiser. course a driver's side seat belt gets lots of use and some are replaced due to wear/tear and not because of an accident.)

I find it hard to believe someone would go to the trouble and expense to replace the air bag controller to reset the count back to 0 and yet replace a deployed air bag with one of a different color.

Still, stranger things have happened.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Todds911
Instructor

I agree, the wheels were the only thing I did not really like.

I actually love the wheels, more the color of the wheels is my issue (just never preferred black). I figured it would not be too bad price-wise to have the black inset painted a satin-silver.

Texas is very far away for me, although I have familiy in the area. I may try to locate the original owner, if possible...
Old 06-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Todds911
Instructor

I went back and saw the pic with the blue airbag. I wouldn't be surprised if that was a factory option though, since the seat backs and seatbelts and center console came in blue. I'll have the check the factory codes. I think there was a picture of the codes under the bonnet, if I can make them out...
Old 06-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Car looks good except the wheels but you can change them. With the other blue accents done to the interior, the owner may have been trying to tie that together with a blue airbag, maybe not, but something that can be checked. Also I have noticed that some cameras don't seem to translate the black colors of car interiors very well. I have the wood in my car that the previous owner ordered from the factory. I wouldn't have chosen that option but after living with it for awhile now it is no longer an issue.

Go for it.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Todds911
Instructor

Hey Land Jet,

Is your car Cobalt Blue? Looks like it, but lighter (outside picture), based on the little signature picture I see on the left.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:14 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by judd944

Hey now I have those wheels on my TT
I really like the color. I would have much rather had it than my black.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
We seem to be car clones. I'm in the process of buying an 03 black turbo X50, had a Dodge Ram 1500 with a Hemi ( agree on the gas issue) and sold my 1967 250SL 2 years ago after owning for many years. And I am still crying over the SL. You should get a 993 turbo to keep up the trend.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:20 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimq
I figured that may happen!

The style if fine but black wheels on a cobalt car is not my choice. A cobalt car needs lighter colored wheels.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Marks951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that exact car was on e-bay a few months ago from the same seller....but with a lot more wood options. I remember some black wheels, the same mismatched tires and the same cobalt blue, but it had wood on the doors and the shifter and brake handle. I don't remember the seats and belts though. It was a low price then too.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Todds911
Hey Land Jet,

Is your car Cobalt Blue? Looks like it, but lighter (outside picture), based on the little signature picture I see on the left.
No, mine is Minerva Blue Metallic. PO had it custom painted from the factory. It's the only turbo with this color. I have seen one 996 GT3 with the same color.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:18 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Receiver
We seem to be car clones. I'm in the process of buying an 03 black turbo X50, had a Dodge Ram 1500 with a Hemi ( agree on the gas issue) and sold my 1967 250SL 2 years ago after owning for many years. And I am still crying over the SL. You should get a 993 turbo to keep up the trend.
Seems we have about the same choice in cars I am more worried about getting a new job than buying more cars at the moment
Its a real PITA keeping the black Turbo clean.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 2001 "Cobalt Blue" - What do you think?