Sponsored by:

Noise from light weight Fly wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:19 AM
msracing
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from light weight Fly wheel

Hey i purchased a 2002 996 tt and the car came with some mods, it has a lighten flywheel and it is making some noise more like a grind or rattle but when you press in the clutch it go's away... i had to replace the clutch as the slave was leaking and i thought the clutch had gone bad ( started to slip).. When you first start the car i the morning you can barely hear it but when it warms up it really starts to rattle.sound like the gears are grinding....i was told that the light flywheel does this but i want to know why..

can anyone who has one on there car tell me if there's make the same noise?

Thanks in advance

Manny Sanchez
WOW Mobile dist.
Get free cell service, Ask me how

wowmobilemanny@gmail.com
Old 04-29-2010, 01:59 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Manny, I have a N/A 996 with the Aasco light weight flywheel. It makes the same exact noise. It increases when the car is warm or the A/C is on. I was warned about the noise, prior to having the LWFW installed. The stock flywheel (dual mass) absorbs the noise. The slight noise is a minor irritation, but well worth the increased performance.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:56 AM
msracing
5th Gear

thank for the info... i still don't understand what is the noise ,, it the flywheel moving on the input shaft ? why does it make more noise when it warmd up?

i guess i will have to live with it ... i will endure the sound for the extra get up and Go...
Old 04-30-2010, 02:48 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Disregarding any flywheel noise, does your engine make more mechanical noise when cold, or after it is warmed up?
Old 04-30-2010, 04:05 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Does the noise go away when you push the clutch in?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:34 AM
MGS996
Racer

Originally Posted by msracing
Hey i purchased a 2002 996 tt and the car came with some mods, it has a lighten flywheel and it is making some noise more like a grind or rattle but when you press in the clutch it go's away... i had to replace the clutch as the slave was leaking and i thought the clutch had gone bad ( started to slip).. When you first start the car i the morning you can barely hear it but when it warms up it really starts to rattle.sound like the gears are grinding....i was told that the light flywheel does this but i want to know why..

can anyone who has one on there car tell me if there's make the same noise?

Thanks in advance

Manny Sanchez
WOW Mobile dist.
Get free cell service, Ask me how

wowmobilemanny@gmail.com
Yep sounds normal to me. Rattles more when the car (& oil) is warm. Rattle goes away when the clutch is depressed.....luv my LWFW
Old 04-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by msracing
thank for the info... i still don't understand what is the noise ,, it the flywheel moving on the input shaft ? why does it make more noise when it warmd up?

i guess i will have to live with it ... i will endure the sound for the extra get up and Go...
The noise can be the clutch disc rattling on the input shaft splines -- when the clutch pedal released and the transmission in neutral -- and variation in input shaft rotation speed causes the gears to rattle in the transmission.

Not sure if the LWFW can also cause the gear drive between the crankshaft and the layshaft to rattle as well.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:08 PM
msracing
5th Gear

Thanks guys for all the info,,, i think i can live with it... i like the performance

a little sound,, lots of get up and go..

Manny Sanchez
2002 996 tt

Wow Mobile
free cell service, ask me How?
enjoyfreewireless.com
Old 05-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts

The dual mass flywheel serves to dampen the gear vibrations in the transmission. With a LWFW, you'll hear the gears rattling when in neutral, with warm gearbox oil. It can be particularly noticeable if you are sitting next to a wall that reflects the sound. When you push in the clutch pedal, you are disconnecting the geartrain from the engine/FW and thus not exciting the gears to vibrate/rattle. It's all par for the course with a LWFW.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Noise from light weight Fly wheel