Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where did my power steering fluid go?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 05:18 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where did my power steering fluid go?

A couple of nights ago, with the stereo switched off I noticed there was a slight noise when I turned the steering wheel. It absolutely doesn't sound like it's coming from the engine compartment - it sounds like it's coming from the front of the car - maybe around the dashboard area.

However - tonight, I checked the power steering reservoir. It was absolutely bone dry - there is no fluid visible in there at all.

After a search, I've just read a fairly scary thread about turbos and power steering pump problems resulting in fire. I will get hold of some fluid tomorrow (I guess I need to visit an OPC) and top it up. However, I'm assuming this will be a temporary solution since the fluid must have gone somewhere.

Are there any simple checks I can do once I've topped up with fluid? Or is it simply a case of topping up and then seeing whether it drops again?

Also - can I have damaged the power steering system by running it with low fluid? Is it OK to drive the car to the OPC to top up (about 15 miles).
Old 04-16-2010, 05:35 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

While it wasn't my pump, I lost my fluid sitting in the paddock due to a worn line that needed a new fitting. This was in my GT3 so same basic motor, etc.

Can you see any sign of leaking from any area of the reservoir?

If not, then maybe the pump although I have no idea how to check that.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:43 PM
DaveK
Race Car

It all looked dry - but then again, I don't know how long the reservoir has been empty......

Hopefully, I'll get a better idea tomorrow. The car is under (non-OPC) warranty. I am beginning to get rather sick of it though - it is easily the least reliable car I've ever owned.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:47 PM
mmmmmm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the clutch reservoir in the front for spilling. You may have a bad slave/accumulator.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:50 PM
DaveK
Race Car

I have had a bad accumulator. It was replaced (with the slave) about 8 weeks ago.

How are these related? Could I have lost the fluid when that was done, but it wasn't topped up properly?
Old 04-16-2010, 06:04 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to hear Dave. These GT1 motors in the TT/GT3/GT2 are darn near bulletproof.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:06 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Originally Posted by LVDell
Sorry to hear Dave. These GT1 motors in the TT/GT3/GT2 are darn near bulletproof.
I know - it seems to be all the other bits that cause me problems!
Old 04-16-2010, 06:30 PM
DaveK
Race Car

OK - I've just had a quick read of Adrian Streather's 996 Essential Companion book.

That says that the clutch accumulator / slave is fed by the main reservoir in the engine compartment, and the reservoir in the luggage compartment is for the clutch master.

The accumulator itself seems to work. I just ran the car for about 15s, switched it off and could depress the clutch pedal 13 times before it got stiff. But it seems like quite a coincidence that I had the accumulator / slave replaced recently and now I'm low on fluid.

Hopefully, it's simply that it wasn't topped up properly afterwards. Alternatively, perhaps something wasn't tightened up properly when the work was done and I have a leak as a result. Guess I'll find out when I top it up and monitor the level.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:22 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

I had the same problem and discover the fluid was migrating from the steering reservoir to the clutch reservoir due to a bad slave internal valve. Like mmmmmm is suggesting take a look if your clutch reservoir is not overfilled (normally splash everywhere in that little front compartment). If its not they probably forgot to refilled the steering reservoir after your clutch, accumulator replacement
Old 04-19-2010, 12:46 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When any hydraulic reservoir is down to nothing, you need to be concerned about air getting into the lines/system.

You need to check into bleeding procedures for anything that draws from that dry reservoir.

BD

Quick Reply: Where did my power steering fluid go?