Sponsored by:

Garage Door Opener Hack/Mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 05:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Garage Door Opener Hack/Mod

Did the garage door mod so my car has an OEM look garage door opener. Still don't understand why this doesn't come on the car but oh well.

What you need:
1 Targa Shade Switch #996 613 119 10 A05
1 Garage Door Opener
1 Soldering Kit
Crimps/Etc

Here's what I did.

1. Took apart my garage door opener to get the circuit board out

2. Located the button that activated the door (red button)

3. Flip board over and figure out which to two connection points activate the switch. You can figure this out easily by getting a paperclip, opening it up and then using both ends of the clip touch the contacts under the button (there are probably four). The two that activate the garage door (make sure you are near the door so you can see it activate) are your two connection points. Mark them with a sharpie or the such so you know which ones they are.

4. Solder a short pice of wire to one connection and another piece of wire to the other connection. I used 18 gauge wire.

5. At the end of one of the wires place a crimp on it and then insert two more wires into the other end of that crimp.

**Now you should have 3 exposed wires (one from one connection and two that were created out of the other connection)**

6. Place a female spade connection on all 3. I'd make sure and take your Targa switch with you to Radio Shack, etc, when you buy the spade connection so you get the right side that slides onto the posts on the back of the switch.

**If you want to make it light up then do step 7**

7. If you have heated seats (I'm sure you can use another switch for lights but I used heated seats) then you can tap into the + and - light terminals on one of your heated seat switched to make your new switch illuminate when you lights are on. To do this you need to tap the + (blue with red hash line) and - (brown) and run them to the two remaining posts on your targa shade switch. I have included the schematic so you know which post is + and which is -

8. After you have attached your 3 or 5 spade connectors test the unit for operation as well as lighting (if you did all 5).

9. If all works well, slide the circuit board in the cavity of the dash behind where the switch will go, attach the new switch to the center console trim (in a blank spot) and snap back on the console trim.

Voila! You have a garage door opening that looks OEM!

MAKE SURE YOU PUT A FRESH BATTERY IN THE OPENER SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO CHANGE IT FOR SOME TIME!!!
Attached Images        
The following 3 users liked this post by LVDell:
bms0918 (10-08-2020), Boss_Angeles (04-14-2024), kboggs (04-28-2023)
Old 04-14-2010, 06:18 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks! Great write up. One more thing on the to-do list.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:25 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Very welcome. Feel free to ping me if there is anything not clear when you do it.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Dell - I like it, but I don't have any tip switch spots left with all my other mods. So I still think the Flash2Pass is a great option, and actually a lot simpler to do. For anyone who is interested here is a link:

http://www.f2ptechnologies.com/category/100/

Did mine about 3-4 years ago and it works great. Just flash your brights twice and up/down goes the door. You can also buy extra transmitters for multiple cars.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:56 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Doug, you know they make a 4 switch batwing don't you?

That gives you 6 around the center console and 4 down on the batwing!

So.....what all have you done?
Old 04-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

You are the ****. And I mean that in the best way. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2010, 07:48 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Serge!
Old 04-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Still don't understand why this doesn't come on the car but oh well.
Personally, I'm glad it wasn't standard on the car.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:58 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dock
Personally, I'm glad it wasn't standard on the car.
Why? A simple button on the rear view mirror would have been nice like the other 99% of cars.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Why? A simple button on the rear view mirror would have been nice like the other 99% of cars.
I don't want my Porsche to be like 99% of cars.

Like I said, it's a personal thing. Generally speaking, the more basic my sports cars are the better I like them. I don't like much of the moves Porsche made towards "GT'ing" the 996 (and later) Turbos. I want a sports car to be a "sports car"...not a "GT car". For me, the fewer permanently installed factory gizmos, the better. It's just no big deal at all to open my center console, grab my Liftmaster opener, and open the garage doors.

I think the OEM 996 Turbo shifter and steering wheel are two good examples of Porsche's lean toward GT. I think the B&M short shifter I installed should have been standard equipment. If someone wanted a softer/GT feel shifter, then Porsche should have offered that kind of shifter on the options list. The skinny feel/large diameter "GT" steering wheel should have been an option, not standard equipment. A hard core 911 Turbo should be (from the factory in OEM form) a hard core sports car.

I ordered my Turbo with two options...sunroof delete and floor mats. If Porsche had offered "on-board computer delete", I would have ordered that too...
Old 04-14-2010, 08:47 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Sounds like you bought the wrong car. You should have been in a GT3 instead. The Turbo is a GT car.

I didn't want any of that crap in my GT3. It was as bare as bare could be and as raw as raw could be. In my Turbo, I want seat heaters and supple leather, etc, etc, etc.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you bought the wrong car. You should have been in a GT3 instead.
I bought the right car. The 996 Turbo can be returned to it's rightful sports car state with a little work. Part of that work is avoiding making the car even more GT'ish with mods.

In my Turbo, I want seat heaters and supple leather, etc, etc, etc.
I got the MB AMG Cab for all the fluff stuff.

Unfortunately, for traditional Porsche sports car enthusiasts like me, attitudes like yours have carried the day with Porsche.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:10 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Nice try to rationalize it. Of course it can be "returned", but that work can be accomplished if you bought the RIGHT car to begin with. You should have bought a GT2 if you needed the Turbos. The 996GT2 is an enthusiasts drivers car. You my friend bought a GT cruiser. Porsche makes a car for the enthusiasts as well as the ones with attitudes that you seem to look down your nose at.

Sorry, but you missed the mark by a long shot on me. I'm more of an enthusiast than you can possible fathom. Go take a look at some of the cars I have and the threads detailing what I have done to them. Then tell me I'm not an enthusiast.

FYI....this thread is about a Garage Door Opener mod. If you wouldn't mind, please keep it pertaining to that.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:13 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Geez Dock, that seems a tad harsh. I mean he's posting a how to thread and you get on him about fluffin' up the TT. The TT is porsche's GT car.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:16 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Geez Dock, that seems a tad harsh. I mean he's posting a how to thread and you get on him about fluffin' up the TT. The TT is porsche's GT car.
He wondered why the garage door opener is not OEM equipment, and I offered a personal opinion that differed from his. Had he had not offered the remark, I would not have brought it up.

Quick Reply: Garage Door Opener Hack/Mod