Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo back from plug change and oil/filer...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Turbo back from plug change and oil/filer...

service.

Oil change labor: $119. Filter: $24.48 list; $19.58 net. Pump seal: $0.87 list, $0.70 net. Aluminum seal ring $0.87 list, $0.70 net.

Total cost of oil/filter service (not including what I paid for the 8 or so quarts of oil quart used of Castrol Syntec 5w-50 oil) $139.98. (I bought 10 quarts and had one spare in the trunk so that's 11 total and there's 2 full bottles left and a partial bottle and engine oil level is 2 bars below maximum.)

Plug change labor: $450. (Remove rear bumper cover and intercoolers to gain access to the plugs. Replace plugs.)

Parts: Plugs at $11.82 list, $9.46 net for a total parts cost of $56.76 Added to labor comes to a total of $506.76. Sales tax on I guess the parts came to another $7.58. Total out the door cost $654.32.

Have old plugs but have not yet had a chance to look them over.

I have not driven the car but maybe 10 miles since I picked it up late last night after work but I like to think the engine feels a mite smoother off idle, but honestly the engine felt pretty darn good before I took it in. Mainly I had the plugs changed cause they've been in the car since new (it is an 03) and even though the car only has 30K miles on it, well, not quite 30K yet, a few miles short of that (29936 is what's on the invoice) I'm planning on heading out in the car on a week long road trip and I wanted new plugs in the engine.

Oh I spoke with another tech about the intercoolers. He said he's never seen any with any signs of oil in them, this includes the hoses -- every one clean and dry too -- but of course both he and his coworker always have an eye open for any signs of oil where it shouldn't be or any signs of a fluid leak.

No one mentioned it but I was curious: Asked if the intercoolors collect any trash like the radiator ducts do and he told me he's never found any trash in the intercoolors.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:46 PM
falcon7x7
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Safe trip!

Best Regards,

Stew
Old 04-02-2010, 01:03 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

You should have done the Coils...
Old 04-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MechanicalEng
+1.

Out of curiosity, why did you decide not to?
Old 04-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by MechanicalEng
Why?

Engine controller has not detected one misfire in the 21K miles I've put on the car since I bought it with 9500 miles.

Besides, I'm sure the tech examined the coils and would have advised me if they needed doing.

I know owners in some areas seem to have coil problems, UK cars seem to eat coils like there is no tomorrow, but my Porsches (or any other car for that matter) have never had a coil problem.

My 02 Boxster is on its original coils -- 3rd set of plugs IIRC -- and has spent 2 years in the midwest being driven in all kinds of weather. All told the car has covered nearly 240K miles and seems the coils are just fine.

Coils certainly should be replaced if misfires are resulting from bad coils, if when the plugs are changed the coils show signs of cracks or corrosion, but if they're working just fine... I'm going to let them continue.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 331 Likes on 222 Posts

Penny "wise" time will tell..

However, just handling the coil pack and tossing them on the service tray and retorqueing them will suck some life out of them..

The $450 that you just spend and the TIME you spent dropping the car off is worth "what"????

Folks spend the (less than $300) for new 997TT coil packs when you change your plugs.. If you don't know if you have them. Replace them.. I cannot stress enough to >> preach>soap box> warn>shout >>> many folks are getting there 30K and 60K service done and shortly after they get a misfire. ALL of them require spending at least $400 labor plus coils to go back in and replace them.

To add to this public service announcement>> if you get a 30K service>>don't wish or assume that the dealer will replace the plugs.. You better tell them to... I recommend that you walk in the door with 6 Bosch FR6LDC plugs and hand them to the service advisor.

Cheers..
Old 04-03-2010, 02:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^ + 1
As always, listen to Kevin.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by ltc
^ + 1
As always, listen to Kevin.
Well, what's done is done.

My pre-purchase research didn't find Turbo coil packs to be a big issue, an inherent problem, but I did not spend a long time doing the research and could have missed this.

I'll just have to drive the car -- which I intend to do as often as I can -- and if the coil packs act up and require replacing I'll have to mark the experience down to well, experience.

Right now the engine feels real good and I know it might be my imagination but the engine feels a bit smoother at idle and off idle acceleration a mite better too.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:27 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
No one mentioned it but I was curious: Asked if the intercoolors collect any trash like the radiator ducts do and he told me he's never found any trash in the intercoolors.

Yeah, I once found deer parts in my right intercooler.

The rest of the deer was scattered about road. $2k in damage.

On the coils, I didn't do mine when I did the plugs at 25k... but will do them next time. I figured since I was doing the labor it was only a risk of a few hrs of my time. Now at 40k it was a good risk.

A

PS rats with antlers.... you had fun with one too.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:12 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Consider yourself lucky, with the 997tt they have to drop the motor to change the plugs (can be done in situ, but must disassemble 1/2 the car)
They replaced one of my coil packs under warranty, left the others, supposedly they no longer routinely swap 'em out. They should, but they don't.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:19 AM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

I need some education here: What are the coil packs? I recently did my 2005's 30,000 mile service (at 25,000 miles). It cost a bundle and nobody talked about coil packs. Please enlighten me ...

I'm going to search that repair order to see if coil packs are mentioned.

Last edited by DesignerGenes; 04-05-2010 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Add more info
Old 04-05-2010, 12:02 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Genes;

Coil packs are what deliver the stepped up up electrical voltage to the spark plugs. There is one coil pack for each plug. The plugs are directly connected to them-no more plug wires. Coil packs just unplug from a generic looking snap connector.

In the "old days" we used to have one 'coil' that delivered the 'juice' sequentially through a mechanically interfaced distributor. Now each plug gets it's own shot of juice from it's own coil when the DME tells it to fire based on a electronic sensor array.

Because of some spotty reliability issues of early 996tt coil packs, and combined with the complete PIA it is to change the plugs, as Kevin says, why not change out to the updated 997tt packs while you're at it. Of course YMMV.

BD
Old 04-07-2010, 06:10 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDuce
Genes;

Coil packs are what deliver the stepped up up electrical voltage to the spark plugs. There is one coil pack for each plug. The plugs are directly connected to them-no more plug wires. Coil packs just unplug from a generic looking snap connector.

In the "old days" we used to have one 'coil' that delivered the 'juice' sequentially through a mechanically interfaced distributor. Now each plug gets it's own shot of juice from it's own coil when the DME tells it to fire based on a electronic sensor array.

Because of some spotty reliability issues of early 996tt coil packs, and combined with the complete PIA it is to change the plugs, as Kevin says, why not change out to the updated 997tt packs while you're at it. Of course YMMV.

BD
thanks!

I'll go home tonight and check the repair order. Mine is a 2005, end of the 996 line. You think I might already have updated ones? Everyone tells me the very last of the 996s got "all the fixes."

Last edited by DesignerGenes; 04-07-2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-14-2010, 06:56 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

Nope, no coil packs. Hmmm ... Guess I'll just wait and hope. Car is running great.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:41 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

Originally Posted by DesignerGenes
You think I might already have updated ones? Everyone tells me the very last of the 996s got "all the fixes."

Doesn't make much difference. I'd replace the CPs every time I went in for the plugs. It's just a PIA (although not as bad as a 997TT) to R&R the plugs in this car.

Plus, you never know (before it's too late), if the old CPs got manhandled by the 'tech', how much they can be affected.

BD

PS. Learned a similar lesson replacing timing belts on Honda products-you have to take off all the accessory drives, and expose the water pump housing to get to it-why not replace the water pump and all the belts while your in there, since it's the labor that's the biggest cost (time or money).

Quick Reply: Turbo back from plug change and oil/filer...