Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 GT2 Yellow 4k mile - rare?? value??

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 03:01 PM
MK19
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '04 GT2 Yellow 4k mile - rare?? value??

Hi guys, I could use some help here please;
I'm told there are only a few of the '04' GT2's in the U.S. and even fewer in Yellow (12 cars). Two questions I could use some help with:

1) Does anyone have a sense of the numbers of cars?, ideally a referral to some documenmtation

2) Any sense of values these days??

Thanks in advance.
Mike
Old 03-27-2010, 05:26 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No idea on numbers, but 'rare' isn't a word one hears with 996 GT2s. You might find THE buyer who only wants yellow, and must have a factory GT2, but those buyers are hard to find.

I'd say a 'rare color' might be worth a few thousand more than a 'run of the mill' GT2. 80shilling (here or on 6speedonline) just bought one in the last few months as I recall, he'd be a good contact for current pricing.

A
Old 03-27-2010, 06:18 PM
MK19
Racer

Thanks Adam.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Colt45ccg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) (Sourced from PCNA press release)
GT2's sold in the US:
2002: 198
2003: 90
2004: 24
2005: 5

That's 317 total cars, I would consider that rare by porsche standards (~9000 996TTs in US).

2) 4k miles is obviously "Like New". While yellow is only desirable to some it fits the GT2 personna... I would expect a car like this to bring top dollar. I tried to acquire a GT2 in Polar Silver with 24K miles for around $75K last year in Jun. I have to believe that if this car is immacualte it could bring more. Hell if I didnt already have the perfect 996TT X50 I would jump on that today!
Old 03-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Colt45ccg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll also note the following GT2 sales I tracked in 2009 while looking:

Red GT2 $100K
Red GT2 $88K, 17K miles
Silver GT2 $110K 1500 miles
White GT2 $85K 35,000 miles
Silver GT2 $108K- highly modded, immacualte
Back GT2 $71K, highly modded accident damage
Polar Silver GT2 $70K 24K miles, accident damage
Old 03-28-2010, 12:01 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MK19
Hi guys, I could use some help here please;
I'm told there are only a few of the '04' GT2's in the U.S. and even fewer in Yellow (12 cars). Two questions I could use some help with:

1) Does anyone have a sense of the numbers of cars?, ideally a referral to some documenmtation

2) Any sense of values these days??

Thanks in advance.
Mike
The numbers sound believable. Give Bruce Anderson an email and see if he has production numbers and delivery numbers for the number of GT2s shipped to the USA. Mr. Anderson with Excellence Magazine. His email or fax contact info in the mag.

Yellow not a common color so just having the total number of cars delivered to the USA tells something.

Even if the numbers true, the "rarity" is only in the eyes of the seller. There was not a lot of demand for 04 GT2s in any color -- not that that year, or any year of a GT2 not a fine car regardless of color -- but these cars have a limited audience/market.

Generally the rule is anything a car seller tells you is intended to get you to buy the car as soon as possible and pay as much for it as possible.

So, the car is rare... says the seller.

I'd not attribute any extra value to the car for its supposed rarity. If the car meets your requirements and its condition acceptable and you can find no reason to reject the car and its passes a PPI with flying colors and you can work out a suitable price buy it, but don't suppose you're getting a car that will see a big increase in value in a meaningful timeframe.

One counter tactic you can use is to mention you like the car save for its color but you might consider the car with a suitable adjustment -- down of course -- in price.

Make "rare" work against the seller.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:21 AM
MK19
Racer

Thanks all.
In this case, I'm the seller......just trying to get my facts and pricing straight before I start.
Mike
Old 03-28-2010, 12:25 AM
MK19
Racer

Colt; Special Thanks......graet data!
Mike
Old 03-28-2010, 12:33 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 467 Posts

All I can say is the 996 GT2 has to be THE Porsche bargain of the moment. 2nd place, 996GT3.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:48 AM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What timing. My neighbor bought a yellow '03 GT2 about a month or two ago from a collector in California. It also had 4k miles. It's perfect, a real garage queen but I didn't ask him what he paid and I don't really know him well enough to walk over there and ask him that. Also, he's not on rennlist, I did ask him that. My other neighbor/friend just bought a new '08 GT2 and I CAN ask him if he knows what was paid for the '03. I'll let you know what I find out...
Old 03-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MK19
Thanks all.
In this case, I'm the seller......just trying to get my facts and pricing straight before I start.
Mike
Then hold what I wrote up in front of a mirror. From the seller's point of view fewer models of that car made in that year, and fewer cars offered in that color, make the car a rare car or better yet, a unique car. The new owner not likely to pass a similar car on the road. You can stress this as much as you feel you can.

As for pricing, search the various used car web sites for similar vehicles to yours being offered for sale, check trade in values, and arrive at some asking price. You can try to add in some rarity or uniqueness premium to your price.

However, used car buyers are more concerned though with condition and price and in equal amounts and their concern for price makes most rare even unique cars less interesting to them.

So along with the car's uniqueness you must stress the car's exceptional condition and exceptional maintenance history. The car must not require any wear item replacements like tires (due to age if not wear) or brakes or oil or whatever.

A selling point is if someone buys your car he is getting a well loved car that needs nothing, a car he can drive for thousands of miles, and many many months before it requires even the most basic of servicing.

Generally it is advised a used car buyer set aside 10% of the car's purchase price to have at hand to take care of incidentals. If a car buyer really savvy he can pick a car that is in such good condition he needs spend little if any of this money.

If your car falls into this class of car, you must stress this and hope you can get some of that 10% applied to the car's purchase price. You can't expect the whole 10% but even half of it represents some premium over and above the car's basic market value.

And almost as important, a well prepped car, a well-cared for car, a properly presented car, can speed up the sale process. Sometimes it is not seeking max. dollars for a car but a reasonable amount of money in a reasonable timeframe. IOWs, a rather "quick" sale.

These long drawn out things which see a car offered way above market value in hopes of landing a whale usually result in the car gaining a rep as something to avoid cause it has been on the market so long and remained unsold so long. The seller in the end can have for his trouble in advertising, showing the car, keeping it insured, registered, licensed, while for sale, a lower selling price and a lower net from the sale than if he had priced the car and prepped it appropriately from the start.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:03 PM
MK19
Racer

Thanks Mac.

Quick Reply: '04 GT2 Yellow 4k mile - rare?? value??