Sponsored by:

Questions from soon to be 996 TT buyer

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 12:45 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Questions from soon to be 996 TT buyer

I'm looking at 996 TT's for a daily driver. I was originally looking at a 993 TT but the prices for the 996 TT is getting extremely attractive. I'm thinking it would be silly to spend the extra 20K it would take to get a 993 TT. So now that I am looking at 996 TT's I need a little advice.

First, anything I should be looking at? I've been told there used to be a 2nd gear issue but that it would have been sorted out early in the mileage if the car was one with the problem. Other than that I don't know of any other issues.

I am also looking at modified cars. I've seen a number of flashed ECU's. Some research tells me this is a boost increase from the stock turbo's similar to what was done with chips on the 951's. On a car I am looking to buy I was told the tune was done by Orion. A search of the web tells me nothing. Anyone know about this tune? Also, if I was looking at modifying the car would I be smarter to find an X50 or Turbo S model or the regular TT? What are some of the more desirable options? (Sunroof?, Suspension?, etc.)

Thanks for your help. The car I am getting inspected is an 02 with 59,000 miles, a fabspeed exhaust, ECU flash and some cosmetic things like 3m film, etc. I've negotiated a $40k price for this car which I believe is fair.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:36 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

have the codes read and see how many Type 2 over runs it might have if any.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a good resource of things to look at:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...heck-list.html

$40k seems a little high for a car with that mileage, IMO...
Old 12-08-2009, 02:01 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Originally Posted by raineycd
Here is a good resource of things to look at:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...heck-list.html

Thanks! If anyone here can help with my search for a black on black 996 TT please come forward. I'm looking for a car with heated seats as I live in Canada. Mods are OK as long as they are tastefully done and the car is in good condition.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:07 AM
raineycd
Racer

Autotrader.com and 6speed are a good place to shop:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automobiles-sale-29/
Old 12-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

... here we go again ...

SoloRacer... the price you negotiated does seems fair.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:00 PM
raineycd
Racer

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
... here we go again ...

SoloRacer... the price you negotiated does seems fair.
I don't like the low values these days either, but reality is you can get one with half the mileage for $40k
Old 12-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

I don't like the low values these days either, but reality is you can get one with half the mileage for $40k
But if he is happy I don't think it's necessarily a bad price. (If it's got all of it's require maintenance done and records) I agree that if you look, spend a lot of time calling around and traveling to see them you can find a 30k mile car for $40,000, but for a lot of reasons, it does not mean that the one he found is not worth $40,000. KBB has it priced in excellent shape/private deal at $46700. You say you'd never pay that price -- great! This fellow is willing to buy the car at a discount of 15% from that number!! I say it's fine and fair.

We throw these values around all over the place yet I don't see a lot of guys hopping on here saying they just bought this awesome 996TT for 30, 32 or even 34 thousand dollars. (I know, I know, somewhere in some town someone has, but it's not the norm as far as I can tell)

I guess my biggest issue is that guys come here for help or opinions and at times it seems we make them think they should get these cars for $30,000 or they are losers. I just don't think that's the case.

I also don’t understand when guys look at the “rock-bottom” priced modified creatures but then expect it to pass as would a 8k mile bone stock adult owned cream puff would. Lot’s of guys here have early TTs in awesome shape, stock with low miles and would not be willing to sell them for anywhere near $40,000.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:22 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Found another one. This time a 2001 with 67,000 miles. Asking $36k. Inspection almost complete. Found some issues (oil leak, bald rear tires, ignition switch problem where car won't quite turn off and ends up draining battery, brake line leaking) Otherwise everything else is turning out OK. Interior in good shape, paint and body original and in good shape, etc. The Porsche dealer who is inspecting the car tells me that the oil leak is either from an oil cooler or head gasket and that to repair is an engine out procedure. They want to put a dye in the oil and try to see where it's coming from. They said it could be a $3000 repair. They also tell me that the ignition switch is a common thing and around $700 to fix. They said the car has new front brakes, runs really strong (might be chipped) and has PSS9's. It's better optioned that the other one I was looking at so I told them to go ahead and do a compression/leakdown test. Thoughts/concerns?
Old 12-11-2009, 12:05 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought you can replace the inside part of the switch for about $50?
Old 12-11-2009, 12:42 AM
whiteturbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 for sale

Solo i have very nice 01 w/ 12,999 miles and warranty for around 3 years i can sell u. It is more money but most times u get waht u pay for. 49,000 silver manual very nice car need nothing. I bought it w/ 1,800 miles and taken good care of it.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:01 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

whiteturbo: Sounds like a great car and I'm sure it's worth every penny. However, I have my heart set on getting a black on black or white on black car. The only other thing that is a must are heated seats. Won't get one without them.

jimq: The tech said something about having to take the steering column apart. Not sure what that was about.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:21 AM
earlymidlifecri
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solo,

You haven't mentioned your budget. How much are you willing to spend?

Victor
Old 12-11-2009, 02:51 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Originally Posted by earlymidlifecri
Solo,

You haven't mentioned your budget. How much are you willing to spend?

Victor
Like everyone else I'm looking for the best quality car at the lowest price. For the record though, $50k plus is not in the cards for me. I'm not looking for a ultra low mileage museum piece. Just a clean, reliable, well optioned and possibly tastefully modified daily driver will do.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
The car I am getting inspected is an 02 with 59,000 miles, a fabspeed exhaust, ECU flash and some cosmetic things like 3m film, etc. I've negotiated a $40k price for this car which I believe is fair.
SoloRacer -
What happened to the first car you were getting inspected? Did it fail your PPI requirements?

Quick Reply: Questions from soon to be 996 TT buyer