Questions from soon to be 996 TT buyer

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 01:04 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
SoloRacer -
What happened to the first car you were getting inspected? Did it fail your PPI requirements?
I noticed that it didn't have heated seats before I ordered the PPI and cancelled the deal. I feel bad as I should have noticed it earlier. The car looked great and I'm sure it was everything the owner said it was since most of the maintenance was performed by a well known and reputable shop. I just know that if I had bought it I would regret not getting one with the heated seat option. I live in Canada after all.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
it didn't have heated seats... I live in Canada
I heard that!

Best of luck w/search!

Old 12-13-2009, 03:45 PM
pwarnery
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 996 T 67K miles black on black

Solo One,

I think I drove the car you are talking about. It was very quick, boost to 1.2 bar, but also had an oil leak from the power steering reservoir under the front hood. This usually means new clutch and slave accumulator. No 2nd gear pop out and no clutch slip. It also had the sticky ignition key defect. The key was hard to insert. I stuck an OB2 tool on it and it came back with no codes. PSS9 on as well as an EVOM air box. The car also has a short shifter, but the lever is kind of loose. The tool kit had a bit up rod in it and the car also had a small dent driver side at the skirt. Paint has some scratches. The car ran real strong though. Quickest one I have tried so far. GL with the purchase.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:14 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

pwarnery: That is the car. We have done the deal and tomorrow the funds are being wired to them. The PPI at the dealer didn't mention the power steering reservoir. They said that a brake line was leaking. The dealer also noted the PSS9's and the strong power delivery. They also said that it needs new tires which isn't an issue for me since I was going to be putting a set of snows on right away. The biggest issue they came up with was an oil leak from either an oil cooler or a gasket which they said is an engine out repair. I'll look after that when I get it home. The seller knew about the ignition and said he will fix it. The dealer also checked for codes and found none. The commented that the paint looked good and the interior show little wear. I have a copy of the title and it shows the car was a repo and sold at auction. I imagine this means some maintenance items were ignored by the previous owner. Considering the extras and all I am happy with the deal.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:17 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Considering the power and the EVOM airbox I am assuming it has a EVOMS kit of some kind. However, the EVOMS website says boost is only 1.0 bar with their kit and not 1.2 as pwarnery mentioned. Anyone guess what is in the car? I suppose I could e-mail EVOMS with the serial number and see if they know it.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:32 PM
pwarnery
Intermediate

Default 2001 996 T 67K miles black on black

Solo Racer,

don't laugh at me, but it was very cold the day I test drove the car...Low 30's! I know I saw where you are from, but for us it is pretty cold, which might explain the 1.2 bar. Actually more likely the car was tuned for an elevation of 4500 feet, American Fork, which maybe why the car is boosting 1.2 bar at sea level. The engine was smooth and hitting really hard at 4K. It might have a set of turbos. I got to drive the car and learn a little more about what a good car looks like. The air pressure in the tires was pathetically low so I adjusted them to 36 44. Did the PPI give you data on over revs type 1 & 2? How about #s of hours on the engine?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:51 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

It was in the low 30's here as well......... -30 C that is. The PPI data showed no over revs but they did not give me the number of hours on the engine.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:57 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Here are some pictures from the vendor website. He is getting the ignition fixed and should be shipping it out to me in the next day or so.

Last edited by SoloRacer; 08-03-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:19 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

great looking car!
Old 12-15-2009, 12:35 AM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice! Congrats!
Old 12-15-2009, 02:20 AM
pwarnery
Intermediate

Default 2001 996 T

Solo Racer,
that is the car indeed. I envy you for, power sliding a 500HP ? car in the snow...I only have a picture of sliding my vespa 125cc in the Alps in 1976! Please stay in touch, if and when you find out the EVOM set up the car has. Turbos maybe. The last and only time I was in Calgary was summer of 1988...
PW
Old 12-29-2009, 02:44 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Just an update - having a bit of an issue with the paperwork. When I bought the car the dealer faxed me copies of the title and bill of sale after which I wired the funds. When I last spoke with them they said they would put the paperwork in the car. Trucker arrives with the car and no paperwork. So I call and now they say they always mail the paperwork. I check the mail again and still nothing. My car is now sitting in limbo waiting for "the mail" to arrive. I need the title to import the car. Assuming the dealer is being truthful I could always wait but it's killing me. What can I do to get a replacement title?
Old 12-29-2009, 04:59 PM
pwarnery
Intermediate

Solo Racer,

I did not see the title, but I expect it is from Utah, since this is where the car came from. Check on the Utah DMV website. I' be happy to give the dealer a phone call and confirm that indeed the title was mailed to you. It should be certified mailed at the very least. On a more pleasant note what kind of #'s did you get from the compression/leak down test you asked the dealer to do? I'd love to know since the engine felt really strong and with no less than 67K miles on the clock it was pulling impressively. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:34 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

A copy of the title and bill of sale were faxed to me prior to me sending the funds. The car is/was titled in California. It was a repo that was sold at auction. I checked the Carfax report again and it confirms the car was originally from the eastern US and then California. Just wondering what information you have that the car is from Utah?

As for the leak down and compression check the dealer wasn't able to do them - they told me they were too busy and that it would take much longer than they quoted me. However they said it ran strong and figured everything was good. I guess I will find out.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:17 PM
pwarnery
Intermediate

Solo Racer,
I ran an auto check which mentions the Utah registration as last info. I did glance at what looked like a CA slip which might have had Fairfiled as a location. When I asked the kid who was showing me the car, he said it hadn't been registered in CA. One has to sift through the dirt to get to the truth. Send me your email address at pwarnery@netzero.net and I'll email you the report.

PW

Quick Reply: Questions from soon to be 996 TT buyer