OEM Vs original PORSCHE brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 03:41 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Smithmotorworks
Just to clarify-
O.E.M. does stand for original equipment manufacturer. This means they are the company that makes the part and then supplies it to Porsche.

If you buy it from Porsche , you pay for the Porsche box, name, and markup.

Example:
Brembo makes the brake calipers. buy them from Brembo = same part , less money , says Brembo on it.

Buy it from Porsche = same part , more money , says Porsche on it
I disagree with this statement, now, in the current 'shared understanding' of what OEM means...

It USED to be that OEM meant "OEM for that one part in that one car"... but sellers now basically apply "OEM" to virtually any part that fits. Indeed, they call them "OEM" if the manufacturer once made **A** single part that was used by **A** car manufacturer.

There is no commonly accepted definition of these terms, so we can no longer rely on these labels- since what WE think it means is different that what many vendors think it means....

A
Old 12-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Smithmotorworks
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adam

I was not referring to what some vendors may claim. simply clarifying what the terms meant.

The term OEM is still a acronym for original equipment manufacturer and is the commonly accepted definition of this term in the automotive world at least.

However I think we are both just trying to help. And i do agree that some vendors throw around terms that really do not apply to the product they are selling just to make a buck.

We sell Porsche products and are VERY careful about the claims of OEM or Genuine Porsche . some are not!
Old 12-09-2009, 12:19 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No aftermarket for PCCB. Your options are OEM a.k.a. factory installed make & model OR the Motorsports 'Greens'

ANYthing else is more than likely a massive gamble.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Adam....the "OEM" term has been prostituted and one can no longer be assured that OEM is in fact the exact same as a factory Porsche part...unless you know the company that manufactured it is the same company that supplies Porsche....as the example of Brembo that was offered.

Reminds me of how years ago when post-war Japan started making toys and other manufactured goods....people would look for the "made in USA" logo on a product that was their assurance that the product wasnt a cheap knock-off and was made in the continental US. Then Japan named a city USA, Japan....so the label could honestly say....Made in USA. Know your supplier and manufacturer.

Quick Reply: OEM Vs original PORSCHE brake pads