Sponsored by:

Silicone boost hoses

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 11:55 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silicone boost hoses

Bought a set of silicone boost hoses but during installation I realized that I could not get the hoseclamp through the hole in the sheet metal in the engine compartment leading to the intercooler out flange. The head of the hoseclamp is just too big. Also the outer diameter of the silicone hoses is a tad larger than the stock boost hoses and therfore they are not 100% covered by the little spoiler inside the wheelwell on the turbo side of the intercoolers.

Would appreciate suggetions from you guys that have done this mod.

Ciao,

JE
Old 10-21-2009, 12:06 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

sorry can't help...my hoses fit perfectly (EVOMS)
Old 10-21-2009, 03:34 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Which hoses do you have? Try using a hose band that needs to be crimped. That way it will eliminate the bulky threaded head of the hose clamp.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:40 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Hoses are from German company called Venair. Hose clamps are normal screw type and not the crip style. I was thinking about the crimp style but wasn't sure about their ability to offer a tight fit.

Thanks for your help Oak.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:05 AM
ShokWaveRider
Advanced

Get the small SS Marine Clamps form West Marine they will fit.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:35 AM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Put the hose through the hole then add the clamp on to it.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Originally Posted by raineycd
Put the hose through the hole then add the clamp on to it.
Been a while since I was on this job before putting the stock hoses back but if I remember correct there was no chance I could reach inside and slip the clamp on.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:42 PM
weoco
1st Gear

Does anyone want to sell their stock hoses? I need them to pass smog. I can't find mine.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:31 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

to pass smog? boost hoses should not inhibit smog test. where are you located?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WEOCO: What state are you in....I'm not aware of any state that has a prohibition against any of the hoses or requires a CARB exemption....since your car is an AWD, all the smog shops just use the probe up the exhaust pipe because they don't have the 4WD dynos. I just had mine done in good old Calif. where it's as strict or moreso as anywhere...I've got aftermarket exhaust, headers, DV's, mufflers etc....no problems...it sailed thru as clean as a whistle. The only thing I've ever heard of....all hearsay of course, is some folks saying that they were given a bad time about the billet Diverter Valves....so that's why some guys buy the aftermarket ones in black...mine are billet aluminum....no problem. Fret not...you're fine.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:45 PM
JeremyS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
Been a while since I was on this job before putting the stock hoses back but if I remember correct there was no chance I could reach inside and slip the clamp on.
Remove the bumper if you haven't already (very easy) and use the skinny clamps from West Marine. My hoses required worm clamps and I was able (just) to fit the clamp on with the hose in place.

As for the lower hose fitment, you may need to shorten the hose a bit at one or both ends.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:21 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Weoco cross posted on 6speed... more discussion there. He is in CA. Bay area. failed 'visual'

Amazingly, in my researching his issue, there is a lot of murkiness in the interpretation of the California smog requirements.

I spoke to a referee. he was clearly uncomfortable. He kept saying "you cannot modify any component of the system"... I said 'what are the 'components'?"... he said anything that is part of the emissions system"... I asked "how about hose clamps? Must they be 'factory'?" "No"..... OK, so how about hoses? ...".errr, yes".... I asked what is the criteria you use to deterine one part is OK and another isn't? He could not answer the qestion.

Anyway, I posted the CARB inspection procedure in a link over on 6speed.

A
Old 11-25-2009, 03:35 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

double post...
Old 11-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

give evo a call and ask for the carb release #. Don't you need Carb approval if you sell in Ca?
Old 11-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

You don't need CARB approval per se....but the seller must give the buyer a recently completed smog inspection certificate for the vehicle....so I guess you could say by default that you'd need "CARB approval". There are different stations that approach the issues differently...just like the referee who balked at the question ..... One station could pass it and another fail it on visual. It seems that the criteria are open to some rather subjective interpretation.

For CARB exemption it takes a company a lot of work and money to go thru the process and hoops. That's why EVO hasn't gone thru the exemption process for their superchargers. Guys in CA running superchargers are doing so at their own risk...there is no CARB exemption for them. Getting the exemption is truly a pain in the A$$ and unless there's an economic advantage, companies wont' bother with it. MSD did it and so did a number of other companies. I would guess that the various hose companies can sell plenty of hoses in states that don't have this chicken-$hit subjective approach to what's authorized and what's not. After all, there are another 49 states that are a viable consumer base. It's going to take a law suit that shows that the language is wishy-washy and subjective to get this defined more clearly....who is willing to take that one on?

Quick Reply: Silicone boost hoses