Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 side intake splitter upgrade (like the 997 turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 12:01 AM
Enginuity
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I apologize, but I starting to laugh when I got to the end of this post and innocently realized that this post wasn't about the 996TT Intercooler Air Vent/Scoop themselves, which would have been competitively priced at around $250-$350 for a new pair.

But then I realized the post was actually talking about the 996TT Side-Air-Vent Splitters. Personally, I would never paid that much for something I can make myself. These splitters shouldn't cost Porsche owners more than $75 for mass produced fiberglass versions or over $125 for mass-produced carbon fiber versions.

In fact, I highly recommend us all to start learning how to work with fiberglass as well as carbon fiber fabric, which takes no more than 2-part uv epoxy resin to bond onto your car parts and bought in California at speciality stores such as TapPlastics or online.

Moreover, the reality is that many creative Porsche aftermarket parts give our cars the extra, exotic flare we're sometimes looking for but sadly highly overpriced! Its a price culture that the parts manufacturers create and their prices are usually based on factory OEM part prices. Not to mention that most of the aftermarket parts can now be found available in China via Alibaba.com and other similar global trading websites/platforms. The only catch with the Asian manufacturers is that they sometimes require and minimum order of 5 pieces but at a quarter and/or half the cost of what we find available online in the US. Also, when the US located/based Porsche Parts Distributors state that it takes 3 to 4 weeks for shipping, that's because that's how long it takes for the Asian companies to send it to them and/or us. Therefore, no more pre-stocking/inventory necessary except for a website/online based shopping database which all website hosting companies like GoDaddy offer, unless someone bought the minimum 5-piece order and need to resale the parts/kits. But even then, they still sell the parts at ridiculous prices. With the power of the internet, research and locating parts is all about "keywords."

If I had the time, I would make these for us at the cost of fiberglass resin and epoxy (e.g. $50) and then color match them PPG or Sikkens automotive paint (e.g. $50) and/or layer them with carbon fiber cloth ($30). So about $80 or so in parts? But that maybe because I'm not in the auto parts business and have a more ethical and righteous personality than others and wouldn't feel good about charging so much to fellow Porsche owners, the only car owners who flash their headlights at you when in passing, done out of admiration and fellowship.

In fact, a Porsche parts distributor recently informed me that I can have anything replicated at below cost with a minimum order of 5 pieces, meaning that if 5 or more Porsche owners knew the exact part they wanted, they could purchase it themselves from the manufacturers in China! Something to think about. In graduate school this was called Synergy, Collaboration as well as Synergy Marketing, based on relevant usage.

I would also recommend searching for similar looking universal-parts that can be modified (e.g. shaved/sanded) and used for the same effect? Just another idea.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:24 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

You resurrected a 5+ year old thread.

My only comment is that people throw around the word "upgrade" too loosely. in no way would that splitter be an upgrade.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:30 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

i think they look fine. add nothing to the performance of the car, but neither will they hinder airflow ( cmon guys lol )
and there are far better and more rewarding ways to spend 369 or whatever it is.

that said, they look fine, and if you like em? just do it. fk what ppl say about looks lol. your car, and they're getting so "old" now in the relative scheme of things i personally see NO reason not to mash em up and make em your "own". unless of course like some folks you are concerned about the chump change resale value they now command lol

all things being relative, of course
Old 03-15-2015, 02:55 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
... and they're getting so "old" now in the relative scheme of things i personally see NO reason not to mash em up and make em your "own".
Which may increase the value of those Turbos that aren't "mashed up".
Old 03-15-2015, 03:25 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Right now, on another forum I belong to where people are discussing getting into the "performance bargain" 996Ts, the consensus is that every dollar spent to modify one of these cars is a dollar deducted from the value.

YMMV.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:27 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

dont get me wrong dock, i'd never try and make a case for mashed up turbo's being worth more than stock. i'm not stupid, or particularly concerned with market value. i just prefer mashed up.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:31 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by techweenie
Right now, on another forum I belong to where people are discussing getting into the "performance bargain" 996Ts, the consensus is that every dollar spent to modify one of these cars is a dollar deducted from the value.

YMMV.
it's not dollar for dollar loss or even a zero sum game lol.
but mods dont increase value at anywhere near their cost. on that i'm sure we can all agree. but i bought a modded car as it had all the stuff i was about to buy anyway, for a stock car.

i am not a fan of stock 996 turbos. at all. i find them "sluggish" by comparison lol
Old 03-17-2015, 09:03 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

sluggish..just switch between an f150 every couple of days and try to pass someone. I'd love to see what a modded TT can do though. Where is the most noticeable difference on upgraded cars...acceleration, top speed, both? I really can't imagine needing to go much faster than I currently do.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:25 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Atrox
sluggish..just switch between an f150 every couple of days and try to pass someone.
Agreed. Sluggish is a relative term.

I'd love to see what a modded TT can do though. Where is the most noticeable difference on upgraded cars...acceleration, top speed, both? I really can't imagine needing to go much faster than I currently do.
I think the most noticeable difference is acceleration. My tune may have affected top speed, but I don't think I'll ever know by how much as I never red lined it in 6th before or after tuning.

I get the most bang for my buck from my EVOMS Stage II in 1st, 2nd, and part of 3rd gear.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:16 PM
America
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

It's your car and do what you want with it. If you like them, get them. Don't mind the old farts. I wouldn't change myself, but that's just me.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:06 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

sluggish..just switch between an f150 every couple of days and try to pass someone. I'd love to see what a modded TT can do though. Where is the most noticeable difference on upgraded cars...acceleration, top speed, both? I really can't imagine needing to go much faster than I currently do.
"all" facets improve. though top speed is immaterial for my use(s). but I'm certain i get 0=60 in 2.9-3 lol

you'll acclimate quickly to the stock one, i would guess ( though some are fine with it ) then you'll dig into your pocket and be adding stuff weekly like many of us.

i have a tech that literally comes to the house weekly. once in awhile we miss a week lol. it never ends.

next up calipers paint refresh in anthracite with black decals and oz anthracite gt2 sized wheels to match a quick 4k lol. then re-do all my matte wrap pieces as there are fading color.

it is a NEVER ending journey of joyful (!?) expenditure lol
Old 03-18-2015, 09:11 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Agreed. Sluggish is a relative term.

I think the most noticeable difference is acceleration. My tune may have affected top speed, but I don't think I'll ever know by how much as I never red lined it in 6th before or after tuning.

I get the most bang for my buck from my EVOMS Stage II in 1st, 2nd, and part of 3rd gear.
well of course it was a "relative term". relative to stock! lol. how obvious was that?
but agree with you on the accel, thats where it'll be most quickly noticed lol.

but tangentially, when do we notice our fvd/raid wheels? every time we 10-2 o' clock 'hands on em? cars no faster for 'em, but they sure are an improvement of the stocker! wouldn't you agree?
Old 03-18-2015, 09:12 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by America
It's your car and do what you want with it. If you like them, get them. Don't mind the old farts. I wouldn't change myself, but that's just me.

i'll bite lol. what wouldn't you "change"? ( oh, the fake splitters!.. sorry duh.. first cup o joe forgot the thread "topic" and merely aging and farting here. sorry! hah never mind )
Old 03-18-2015, 11:57 AM
America
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

@02996ttx50, tinkering with Pcars is costly without too much performance gains. Would get a Vette if I wanted to do add on, mods, and bling stuff LOL. Just get more gains for your money. If you have money to burn, then go ahead and drop it into a Pcar.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:30 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

well of course it was a "relative term". relative to stock! lol. how obvious was that?
A stock Turbo is not sluggish relative to his F150 or my Tacoma.

...but tangentially, when do we notice our fvd/raid wheels? ...they sure are an improvement of the stocker! wouldn't you agree?
Absolutely.

Quick Reply: 996 side intake splitter upgrade (like the 997 turbo)