Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo valve stems? Had to have tire/wheel replaced....

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Turbo valve stems? Had to have tire/wheel replaced....

New Turbo wheel (from PCNA GA) wheel was fitted with new Continental tire at local tire store and of course fiitted with new valve stem.

However, the valve stem is metal.

The other 3 wheels all fitted with new tires (by dealer just before I bought car -- original tires nearly 7 years old) all have the regular black rubber valve stems.

Was going to have metal stem replaced with rubber one to match the other 3 but came across a mention elsewhere the Turbo came with metal valve stems.

Anyone know for sure what valve stems Turbo came with and should have? Metal? Or the plain(er) rubber ones? For some reason I have the idea the stems should be metal cause of the higher speeds the Turbo capable of but I do not know where I picked this up and it may be wrong.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, metal valve stems came with the hollow spoke wheels and the rubber stems came with the solid spoke wheels. Feel behind the spokes with your hand. Solid spokes have a grove , hollow spokes are smooth. All your wheels should be the same so you may have to change the new one.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Land Jet
If I'm not mistaken, metal valve stems came with the hollow spoke wheels and the rubber stems came with the solid spoke wheels. Feel behind the spokes with your hand. Solid spokes have a grove , hollow spokes are smooth. All your wheels should be the same so you may have to change the new one.
Ok I just checked. On 3 wheels -- the "original ones" -- down where the spoked portion meets the rim there is a ridge/groove. The back of the spokes -- for all 4 wheels -- are smooth ignoring what is probably some raised lettering/numbering from the cast molds.

The new wheel is smooth where the spoked portion contacts the rim. I'm going to have local Porsch tech check it out but I suspect body shop replaced wheel with an aftermarket non-hollow spoked wheel.

Interesting the 3 apparently correct wheels have rubber valve stems. This courtesy of selling dealer I guess.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Ok. Looks ok. New wheel has right part number. 996.362.136.04.

I stopped at local Porsche dealer and checked with tech. He had 996 Turbo (cab) on lift (in for rodent damage -- slow process to get all the parts in and repair engine harness (engine/tranny had to be removed!) once rodents get in one of these things!) and I checked.

Front wheels inside felt like the new front wheel on my 03 Turbo. Rear wheels felt like the wheels on my car.

Part number on cab's front wheel matched part number parts counter guy tells me is proper/correct part number for a Turbo wheel based on my car's VIN.

I will double-check later today -- with mirror on a swivel -- part numbers on all wheels but I think the replacement wheel the right one.

BTW, price for a new Turbo wheel? Just $1847.16.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^ + 1
Old 09-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by ltc
^ + 1
Oh yeah. Pressed for time and failed to remember to check on valve stems.

Tomorrow (sigh).

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:09 PM
R5 Turbo 2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macster
Ok. Looks ok. New wheel has right part number. 996.362.136.04.

I stopped at local Porsche dealer and checked with tech. He had 996 Turbo (cab) on lift (in for rodent damage -- slow process to get all the parts in and repair engine harness (engine/tranny had to be removed!) once rodents get in one of these things!) and I checked.

Front wheels inside felt like the new front wheel on my 03 Turbo. Rear wheels felt like the wheels on my car.

Part number on cab's front wheel matched part number parts counter guy tells me is proper/correct part number for a Turbo wheel based on my car's VIN.

I will double-check later today -- with mirror on a swivel -- part numbers on all wheels but I think the replacement wheel the right one.

BTW, price for a new Turbo wheel? Just $1847.16.

Sincerely,

Macster.
I just had a rat move into my Tundra and go to town on the engine insulation, wire harness, and hoses. UNBELIEVABLE!
Old 09-29-2009, 02:17 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by R5 Turbo 2
I just had a rat move into my Tundra and go to town on the engine insulation, wire harness, and hoses. UNBELIEVABLE!
Feel sorry for you. I spotted this Turbo Cab on lift with engine/tranny out and looked it over. Tech grabbed light and showed me rodent damage. Gnawed in through rear seats into engine compartment. Gnawed engine hoses -- power steering and such -- wiring harness -- body and engine.

Engine belly pan just full of the worst sort of trash you can imagine.

Tech told me owner was very upset when he brought car in. Car not running right at all and he was blaming the car and Porsche and the dealer. Then the tech opened the engine cover and found the rats...

Comprehensive insurance covers the repairs which is a plus. Thousands and thousands of dollars will be required to put the car right.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Turbo valve stems? Had to have tire/wheel replaced....