Sponsored by:

PSI Rise In Track Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Default PSI Rise In Track Tires

Okay, now that I am getting my brake cooling under control I wanted to throw out another little issue I've run into... psi rise in my slicks.

In all the years and all the cars I've had (none being as heavy or as powerful as the current 996 TT) the normal rise in tire pressure is somewhere in the 6 to 8, maybe, just maybe 10 psi on a hot day with long session. With the TT I've been seeing 14 to maybe as high as 16 no matter what starting psi I try and it's been confounding me. Now that I temp checked the rotors (1475 F) and find that the wheels almost non touchable with gloves on after 15 minutes, I am thinking that there just might be some heat radiation into the hollow spokes from whopping rotor temp that could explain some of this additional psi rise.

What say you?

Old 09-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

My experience on a lighter GT3 driven at race speeds is similar to yours i.e., 8-10 lbs at air temps in the 60 to 85 degree range.

On the other hand, I am talking about R compound tires like the Hoosier R 6, Pirelli Corsa or Michelin Cup.

With an aggressive driver on new street tires or full tread R 888 I could imagine higher temps.

Your really high brake temps suggest that you really brake late and hard. Braking warms up tires fast which is why we brake like maniacs on the warm up lap of a race. Could your braking technique be the reason?

Best,

I also never see brake temps as high as yours
Old 09-14-2009, 06:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^ + 1.

I would also suggest sending a PM to Tom (tkerrmd). He has a tremendous amount of knowledge regarding the 996TT on track.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:46 PM
mos996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I am running MPSC's and even on the hottest days, I am only getting +10-11 over cold temp...
Old 09-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Could your braking technique be the reason?

I also never see brake temps as high as yours
Yes, excellent point because in contemplating this situation, I see the high rise in all four slicks, however, the cooling issue seems only with the front rotors. (I think) We did not take a rotor temp in the rear and now I wish I had done so.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Accelerator
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rotor temps are definitely too high. Bet caliper temps are too high also. With R6's and now the new Hoosier racing slicks I am seeing around 10 degress rise after 20 minutes.

Consider going to Nitrogen for less temp rise but perhaps you need to change your braking methods.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Accelerator
Rotor temps are definitely too high. Bet caliper temps are too high also.
This we know -- we're taking steps (ducting) to reduce rotor temp, question is if rotor temp gets down to 900 +/- might I see a decrease in tire psi rise?
Old 09-17-2009, 05:53 PM
mos996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

sounds like you need to get the fatty GT3 Cup ducts for the front...I have had them for a couple years and they seem to do the trick
Old 09-17-2009, 09:56 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Accelerator

Consider going to Nitrogen for less temp rise but perhaps you need to change your braking methods.
I've heard the common fallacy that nitrogen has less pressure rise than air, (not true, dry air and dry nitrogen are the same- it's the moisture in either that get you)... but never that nitrogen is, in fact, cooler.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adam_
but never that nitrogen is, in fact, cooler.
But people like to think they are cooler saying they have nitrogen...
Old 09-18-2009, 05:50 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
But people like to think they are cooler saying they have nitrogen...
Yeah, I especially go nuts when you see the mini van with the green valve stem caps!
Old 09-18-2009, 06:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I always ran nitrogen in my son's kart tires. Much more predictable pressure rise, less moisture to rust/corrode the beadlock screws.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
I always ran nitrogen in my son's kart tires. Much more predictable pressure rise, less moisture to rust/corrode the beadlock screws.
We're just goofing... racing applications are fine, I believe the Good Ol' Boys run nitrogen if I'm not mistaken, just for that reason -- predictable pressure management. It's the street cars we're laughing about... it's a joke. Dealers have now found a way to actually charge customers to maintain pressure in there tires and keep them coming to the dealership. I've actually seen posts where people have said, ready for this... that their car handles better with nitrogen in the tires. "One born every minute... "
Old 09-19-2009, 01:23 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I wouldn't be so hasty to jump to your conclusion.

There is a true secondary benefit to running nitrogen (cheap dry gas) in street car tires which might not be so obvious....

One of the primary causes of TPMS failure is moisture impingment, which of course gets more likely as the temp and humidity increase....such as the case when you fill your tires on a hot/humid day and inject fairly significant amounts of water vapor into the tire, then proceed to heat it up due to road/tire friction.
Obviously this is much less likely if the tires are PURGED, then filled with N2.

N2 in the tires is preferred by manufacturers as long as the car is in the warranty period...of course once it's outside of warranty, they would prefer you fill the tires with water and buy TPMS sensors.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:03 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ltc
I wouldn't be so hasty to jump to your conclusion.

There is a true secondary benefit to running nitrogen (cheap dry gas) in street car tires which might not be so obvious....

One of the primary causes of TPMS failure is moisture impingment, which of course gets more likely as the temp and humidity increase....such as the case when you fill your tires on a hot/humid day and inject fairly significant amounts of water vapor into the tire, then proceed to heat it up due to road/tire friction.
Obviously this is much less likely if the tires are PURGED, then filled with N2.

N2 in the tires is preferred by manufacturers as long as the car is in the warranty period...of course once it's outside of warranty, they would prefer you fill the tires with water and buy TPMS sensors.
THis is all based on the ASSUMPTION that somehow "Nitrogen" = "No Moisture"

Why?

Yes, bottled, 99.998% 'technical pure' nitrogen is certified moisture free. Got it. That is what they use for jet aircraft, race cars.

The little nitrogen concentrators they use at tire stores are no more 'pure' in terms of moisture removal, that the air compressor sitting next to it.

It isn't the gas you put in that matters- it is the 'moisture free' nature of whatever gas you use.

A

Quick Reply: PSI Rise In Track Tires