Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May buy 996 Twin Turbo instead of F355...a bit torn.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:42 AM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by deepblue
I remember them well during my NSX days, does Wayne still have his 944 turbo and Doug the Flamemobile? Their initial experiences were influential in my getting the 355.

I lost track of them after my last NSX, btw, I had the black tan 94 NSX (#333) when I lived in Dallas, Do you know Vaughn D (Silver 91 NSX) by chance?

Not sure if you know Roy Smalley of Eurowerks in Addison, they rebuilt a smashed F355 a few years ago, the tech (artisan) hammered out the aluminum body panels by hand, looked nothing short of amazing!
I had a red 1996 NSX-T and helped organize the first NSXPO, before that event took place I ended up selling the NSX and buying my 97 Porsche turbo.

The NSX was a great car just not enough power. They were just starting to supercharge them back then to about 400 hp but it was quite pricey.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:47 AM
RSA333
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trying to objectify women here, but I am old enough to have had several very hot girl friends before my current second marriage (to a woman of Italian-German ancestry (mother is Italian, father is German) who races cars!).

There's a joke in here somewhere, but I can't make it. But a 355 is like waiting forever to have sex with Paris Hilton, while a 996 Turbo is having your way with Jessica Alba whenever you want...
Old 09-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Scott Lenger
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My father-in-law has a 355 - beautiful car and great engine sound. He never drives it - only has 8K miles and it certainly has spent more time being repaired than being driven. He gets really riled up when my 4 year old son tells him that "addy's Porsche is a lot faster than a Ferrari because the Ferrari is always broken." I think Ferraris are like boats - it's better to have a friend with one than to own one yourself.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:28 PM
One of Twenty
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Lenger
I think Ferraris are like boats - it's better to have a friend with one than to own one yourself.
+ eleventy brazillion.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Location: Fishers, Indiana (USA) and Barrie, Ontario (Canada)

Originally Posted by panchosouth
Meeyatch
Have a bud here in Saudi who's father is the service manager for Ferrari Dubai....I kicked around the idea of a F355, as it does the body good to see/hear/drive a Ferrari...But when he described the maint. (something like pulling the engine for service at 25K? (could be wrong but I think I recall correctly) ....also I like to drive between Mexico and Ontario (kingston area), love road trips period....While I would love a 993TT, money wise I don't think you can beat the 996TT....I drove one here in Saudi, and even though it was treated poorly by PO, it still got up and did as asked....This has pretty much made up my mind...so the hunt has begun! I like to be able to put the key in and go (not to mention a bag or two and my sticks), not worry if I'm going to be stuck on the side of the road...Porsche 996TT !
Thank you very much. Next time you are going from Mexico to Ontario, feel free to stop in in Indianapolis for a break and a cold brew! I always have them cold in the garage.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Originally Posted by deepblue
I've had a 355F1 and currently a 996tt. I loved driving the 355F1, the sound is truly intoxicating and yes, it's a Ferrari with soul and passion, but passion comes in many colors. Like I said, I loved driving the 355, but hated, no, I loathed owning it.....

(snip)

This car made me a nervous wreck, I wouldn't dare leave it out of sight as I was afraid someone might breath on it and in all honesty, for what the car is, it's somewhat slow although you will feel like an F1 driver while redlining and paddle shifting through tunnels, this and hand washing (feeling the hand made curves) were my greatest memories.....

(snip)

Hope this helps.
Thank you. It does help. We had a 348ts for a while, and I hated the ownership experience of that. Car was a pain in the a$$, but the sound and (ironically enough) joy of washing the car by hand and going over those beautiful lines kept it in my good graces for about 5,000 miles before it was out the door.

As far as worrying about it, I do not really worry much, no matter what the car is. I have always driven and parked all of my cars just like any other car (even drove the NSXs and 348ts in the snow). The F355 I drove and enjoyed was a 6-speed, so I would not want the F1 trans for several reasons, including reliability issues. The battle really seems to be between login and emotion for me.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Michael-Dallas
Doug Hayashi and Wayne Mello

http://www.nsxfiles.com

Doug posts on corner-carvers.com so you may be able to PM him there and get his opinion if you don't get a good idea from reading his F355 chapters...

///Michael
I do remember his nightmares with teh F1 transmission and such, but also his raves about the actual driving of the F355.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Originally Posted by BuddyG
I had a red 1996 NSX-T and helped organize the first NSXPO, before that event took place I ended up selling the NSX and buying my 97 Porsche turbo.

The NSX was a great car just not enough power. They were just starting to supercharge them back then to about 400 hp but it was quite pricey.
Wait a second. I think I have met you. You brought the 993TT to the NSXPO in Ohio and took me for a ride in it. I think you were doing some major stereo work in it at the time with a flip screen headunit that would not clear the dashboard. Super dark tinted windows and such. The ride in that car got me hooked on turbo Porsches. I had gone there with my friend Chris in his 1992 NSX and you two raced and your Porsche left the NSX like it was standing still. That has to be you and your car. Good to see you again!
Old 09-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Originally Posted by RSA333
Not trying to objectify women here, but I am old enough to have had several very hot girl friends before my current second marriage (to a woman of Italian-German ancestry (mother is Italian, father is German) who races cars!).

There's a joke in here somewhere, but I can't make it. But a 355 is like waiting forever to have sex with Paris Hilton, while a 996 Turbo is having your way with Jessica Alba whenever you want...
Now you are speaking my language....I do like Jessica Alba.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:42 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
Wait a second. I think I have met you. You brought the 993TT to the NSXPO in Ohio and took me for a ride in it. I think you were doing some major stereo work in it at the time with a flip screen headunit that would not clear the dashboard. Super dark tinted windows and such. The ride in that car got me hooked on turbo Porsches. I had gone there with my friend Chris in his 1992 NSX and you two raced and your Porsche left the NSX like it was standing still. That has to be you and your car. Good to see you again!
Yep that was me, small world! Glad I got you hooked on Porsche it is a great thing to be hooked on!

Here is the car:
Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2009, 08:08 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

++

Nice cars...until you have to pay for a repair...then they can be very painful. I have never had one, but I looked up the cost of a major tune-up...ug.

JB
Old 09-09-2009, 11:14 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How about a RUF? Rarer and reliable...
Old 09-09-2009, 11:53 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

my 2 dream cars. If I had stupid money I would look at the F355 but I need something to drive most days so my next car will be a 996TT
Old 09-09-2009, 11:55 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Nobody drives their Ferrari's. That's why there are so many low-miles cars.
Absolutely nobody drives them after the first engine-out routine service, because nobody wants to pay for that again.
They sound great, but really are not particularly quick by today's standards. And, I didn't think the handling was great either.
Based on what you said about anticipated use, I don't see how a 355 is even on your wish list. On the other hand if you buy it, don't drive it, and put away the money you will save for the anticipated miles you didn't drive, you will have enough for an 996tt in about 3 years. And, like all Ferrari owners, you will have a nearly unused Ferrari in your garage.AS
Old 09-10-2009, 12:59 AM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Originally Posted by niche
How about a RUF? Rarer and reliable...
I would consider it, just do not see many listed.

Quick Reply: May buy 996 Twin Turbo instead of F355...a bit torn.