2004 996 turbo modification questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 12:02 AM
TurboMD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 996 turbo modification questions

Hi:

I have a great Slate Gray 2004 TT with only 9k miles. It gorggeous now I want to modify it this summer>

1.I have the aerokit option, can I remove the front spoiler? as its chipped and always scrapes on the ground. I woul dlike to remove it and drive the care without it.

2. Whats the best place to buy a carbon fiber steering wheel.

3. I need a real growling exhaust to make it sound like a beast...But not to loud that it wakes up the town. Just a growling exhaust which means the care is all business...

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 05:27 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I believe the purpose of that spoiler is to protect your bumper...plust it would look too high without it..

Carbon Fiber steering there was one for sale in 6speed for like $500.. not sure if it;s sold..

For Exhaust... what type of sound are you looking for?
Old 07-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Check with Livermore CA Porsche dealer. It has a 996 Turbo in for....

Originally Posted by TurboMD
Hi:

I have a great Slate Gray 2004 TT with only 9k miles. It gorggeous now I want to modify it this summer>

1.I have the aerokit option, can I remove the front spoiler? as its chipped and always scrapes on the ground. I woul dlike to remove it and drive the care without it.

2. Whats the best place to buy a carbon fiber steering wheel.

3. I need a real growling exhaust to make it sound like a beast...But not to loud that it wakes up the town. Just a growling exhaust which means the care is all business...

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks
some repairs and at same time owner removing aftermarket Tubi exhaust (stainless and look fantasitc) to install newer Tubi exhaust.

I bet owner would make you a good deal on exhaust and Livermore Porsche would work with you to install exhaust. I was told labor runs a couple of hours. You'll have to speak to owner about its sound.

Call dealer and ask Mannie if he would put owner of car in touch with you. You'll have to work out your own deal for exhaust if you're interested.

As for the front spoiler, splitter, I'd leave that intact. Very important function is to keep air from under car to prevent lift and to help air flow through radiators and to help air flow through intercoolers. These all rely upon low air pressure under/behind car and that front air dam/splitter's main functiion is to keep air from under car.

The thing is a sacrifical item and if too tattered can be replaced. As for it always scraping ground you need to be more aware of its presence and avoid steep drive ways or traverse them at much slower speed.

Steering wheel sources I don't know.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Removing the lower front spoiler/splitter will reduce front downforce (and hence overall balance with no corresponding change to rear) at high (track) speeds.

As for exhausts, they are subective. I would strongly suggest listening to as many as possible (in person or sound clips) and be aware of any droning/resonance complaints.
Europipe exhausts have always been very highly regarded and come in several sound options.
There is also the (IIRC) 9ff exhaust which has a 2 position switch, similar to the OEM Porsche Sport exhaust (which is not a factory option on the turbo, just NA cars)
Ruf also makes a 996TT exhaust, identical fitment to OEM, since they buy an OEM, open it up, rework the internals, and then reassemble it, so no issues.

As for OEM steering wheels, Sunset Imports (Jeff Clark) is usually the go to guy for best pricing and availability (cost + 15%). Suncoast is also competitive.
Gert at Carnewal (RL Sponsor) also has many options (great shopping) available on his website.
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_interior_p96TT.htm
Like this one:
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p96097.htm
There are also other non OEM options available as well (FVD, Ruf, etc).

Another resouce to ask would be Sharkwerks in CA (RL Sponsor with lots of 996TT experience)
Old 07-12-2009, 01:47 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually I think you can replace the rigid painted aerkit lip with the flexible stock TT lip... might be a clip on exchange.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I had the same problem when I bought mine with the factory aerokit on it...the front spoliler lasted about three weeks. Don't run without one...the front end will go light at high speeds. I called Jeff Clark and ordered a replacement that isn't as wide (ask him for the FVD type). A number of the guys on the forums have gone to the FVD type as it sells for around $275 or so. I usually buy at least one a year....the parking lot concrete stops and speed bumps are death on these....but for $275 you can usually afford the replacement. OEM costs over $800 plus the cost of matching paint color and the clearance is way too low to survive very long.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Bos
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who is Jeff Clark? Number, company, etc?
Old 07-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Jeff Clark is the Porsche parts guy at Sunset Porsche in Oregon. Good guy and knows his stuff. His email address is JeffClark@sunsetimports.com. You can also Google Sunset Porsche and get their 800 number. They sell at about 15% above cost and usually have some of the most competitive prices around.

Example: My first set of the FVDs I bought from .....let's just say "back east"....and got charged $375 PLUS $120 for shipping....Jeff sent them to me for around $235 and $30 shipping. Nuff said. Prices may have gone up a bit since then....so my quote may be a little off, but not by much.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:52 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff is the man.

Additionally, there is a long thread either here or on 6 speed about a hack developed for the stock turbo muffler. Raises the decibel level some, picked up some power if I remember correctly, and best of all, is free!
Old 07-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

IIRC....one of these modifications involves drilling into the cat...which might give you some nicer sound and perhaps a slight increase in performance....but what happens when it's time for the smog certification>? I don't recall if this hack is the same one....but I thought at the time I read the thread that you'd need a backup stock muffler setup if you had to drill out the modded one.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:39 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bos
Who is Jeff Clark? Number, company, etc?
http://sunset.porschedealer.com/parts/parts_order.php
Old 07-13-2009, 07:15 AM
Bos
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotcha... Very familiar with Suncoast. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:22 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Bos
Gotcha... Very familiar with Suncoast. Thanks.
Not suncoast...sunset...LOL
Old 07-13-2009, 01:32 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
IIRC....one of these modifications involves drilling into the cat...which might give you some nicer sound and perhaps a slight increase in performance....but what happens when it's time for the smog certification>? I don't recall if this hack is the same one....but I thought at the time I read the thread that you'd need a backup stock muffler setup if you had to drill out the modded one.
This is the thread: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ler-996tt.html

Apparently you just go to town with a drill and punch holes in both side of the stock muffler.

Quick Reply: 2004 996 turbo modification questions