Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switched to the Mobil 5W-50 today

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

If a group 3 can peform as good or better than a group 4, then why does the group matter? A natural diamond or synthetic diamond -- both serve their purpose equally the same and the end result is equally the same.

Regarding the M1 banner ad on BITOG, it's a banner ad. If you've been reading/searching about Mobil-1 or oil recently, then that's probably why you see a Mobil-1 ad and not a Castrol ad. BITOG's sponsors are Lubrizol, Schaeffer Oil, LCD, Inc, Blackstone Labs, and Magnafine.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep. I think that there will always be a bit of the idea that whichever side anyone on in this
issue, we may all look like we drank the koolaid to the other side, because almost none of
us know enough about automotive tribology to be sure of all the facts and what they mean
in a practical sense.
For my part, I do think that the anti-Mobil-1 side seems to adhere to the group 4 vs.
group 3 as prima facia proof of functional inferiority, and this may not be true. My only
concern (not sufficient to avoid Mobil-1 0w40) is that the level of ZDDP is less than
we'd like.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:47 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

These oil thread are always bringing out the best stuff. Life is too short, just use the oil that you are comfortable with.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:51 AM
unkiemotorhead
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5w50 Mobil 1 SF NBay supplier located

Found another supplier for 5w50 - North SFBay Area: Redwood Coast - Could not find it in several WalM stores nor a zillion other retailers I tried on line or called. I was told by Mobil Canada that the 5w50 that was sold in Canada with higher levels of additives is now the same product that is sold in the US, so suspended my search for Canadian spec and bought US locally. 'magine! unkie
Old 11-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uniie: You looked all over the place? You're in Danville and the distributor is in Ceres right off Hwy 99 just south of Stockton. You could have driven there!!

**Google Vine and Sons; Ceres Calif. They also stock the Mobil Delvac 75W-90 for the tranny and front differential...gallon containers only....and use standard UPS rates for shipping.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 11-26-2009 at 04:36 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:45 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by unkiemotorhead
Found another supplier for 5w50 - North SFBay Area: Redwood Coast - Could not find it in several WalM stores nor a zillion other retailers I tried on line or called. I was told by Mobil Canada that the 5w50 that was sold in Canada with higher levels of additives is now the same product that is sold in the US, so suspended my search for Canadian spec and bought US locally. 'magine! unkie

Where is this located? Santa Rosa?

A
Old 11-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sent in an oil sample to Blackstone Labs for testing and when I got the printout I called and spoke with one of the chemists there for an interpretation. During our conversation I asked him what his recommendations were since he sees and tests every kind of oil. His reply was "they are all pretty much the same".
Old 11-26-2009, 04:48 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
During our conversation I asked him what his recommendations were since he sees and tests every kind of oil. His reply was "they are all pretty much the same".
I'd love to hear why he thinks that. I'm not sure I agree with him.

Next time you talk to him ask him if he will come here and explain his position.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I asked him what oil he used in his car and he said the cheapest dino oil available. I am assuming he was not tracking it. I'll be sending in another sample within a few days, so I will be talking with him. I kind of got the impression that he didn't want to stick his neck into the oil comparison war.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Land Jet
I kind of got the impression that he didn't want to stick his neck into the oil comparison war.
Well if it's as simple as he seems to imply, he won't have to stick his neck in very far.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Mark Dunsford
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I'm based in the UK running a 996tt manual 2004 with 40k miles on the clock. Had it 3 months and the engine to me on tickover and low revs is noisy compard to previous N/A 911's even including my Mk1 GT3 (sadly no longer with me but I count myself lucky to at least still afford a Porsche as a daily driver in the current climate!)

I'm told it's backlash on the intermediate shaft driving the oil pumps and an element of chain noise IIRC from a conversation with an OPC mechanic. The GT3 was noisy but never sounded quite as 'metallic'. OPC says all is fine and perfectly normal for healthy Turbo, even noisy backlash on gearbox below 1500 RPM I'm told is normal.

A pal of mine running a 996 GT3 Mk2 says he and several friends are running Mobil 1 15w 50 fully synthetic motorsport oil which they tell me makes the engine way quieter and seems to look a lot better at oil changes. Currently have 0w 40 from last service 2k miles ago and I'm contemplating changing to 15w 50, perhaps if even for the summer only.

My concern is that I don't want to add premature wear on start up with a thicker oil and this is not in the list of Porsche approved oils for the UK. No OPC warranty to worry about and lowest temp in UK I can remember was this winter at -14c. Summer temps low 20's is usual. Any advice on whether this will cause any running problems or extra wear. 15w 50 looks like a 'proper' oil to me but I'm old fashioned and accept that the factory must recommend 0w 40 for a reason. I read debates with interest though on whether it's more for emissions than start up wear etc.

Any advice gratefully received!
Old 03-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Dunsford
Any advice gratefully received!
I'd suggest trying 5W50.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:48 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

RUN A USED OIL ANALYSIS!!

A UOA will tell you if there are wear metals in the oil to be alarmed about. It will establish a baseline as well to allow you to evaluate any changes to your oil and how those changes impact the wear,
Old 03-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Unless you plan on driving your car to Southern Europe this summer I don't think that you will see the high temps to warrant 15W50...

Run a 5W50 Mobil or Castrol 10W60 BMW blend.. I wouldn't go higher than that.. You are NOT going to get rid of the gear lash/chain rattle.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:24 AM
TeKNiC3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I found and purchased Mobil 5W50 at my local Winchester Auto. Just a heads up for all the Norcal guys.

They only had 11 quarts in stock, so I cleaned out their inventory.

They said they restock twice a week and getting the 5W50 isn't a problem.

It was $6.98 a quart there.

Quick Reply: Switched to the Mobil 5W-50 today