Sponsored by:

Meet the new Gray Reef Shark!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 01:41 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meet the new Gray Reef Shark!!

Sold my Mk.I GT3 Clubsport a month ago and have now replaced it with a -01 Turbo. Seal grey over black leather, all stock except spacers at all corners, ECU flash (Superchips) boosting 1.1bar, Ferrita (Swedish make) race cats and stainless steel exhaust. Dyno sheets indicate 530hp....

Ciao,

Johannes
Attached Images    

Last edited by Mr. C4; 06-07-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:15 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Lovely, bit of a change from the GT3!

Have the turbo hoses been changed as I've heard the standard ones can 'pop off' with increased boost!
Old 06-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

I sooooo love Grey... Wish I'd not bought black, but eh, what can ya do!

I agree with the other poster... Consider the boost hoses, especially on the 2001 models... AWE sold me mine (SAMCO brand), but there are others out there with decent prices for a set of five (all intercooler to piping hoses plus the Fpipe)!

Mike
Old 06-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

How difficult is it to change these hoses? I'm a pretty good DIY guy and consider doing the DV's myself as well. These seem to be a pretty good deal! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old 06-07-2009, 12:20 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
How difficult is it to change these hoses? I'm a pretty good DIY guy and consider doing the DV's myself as well. These seem to be a pretty good deal! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
wow thats $300+ cheaper then I have seen before. I never could figure out why a simple hose cost $900 or so
Old 06-07-2009, 07:28 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I never could figure out why a simple hose cost $900 or so
Because there are fools who are willing to pay as much! (And I'm one of them, sadly)
Old 06-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a lot of folks running the stock hoses on their 01-03 TTs (running under 600 HP) and haven't had any problems with them....I'm one of them. If the hoses start blowing apart or coming out of the insets, then I'd have a tendency to change them out....but from what I've seen, heard, and read, the stock hoses work just fine....they're just dont' come in spiffy color coded applications. I'm not trying to be argumentative here...just trying to deal with some facts....So maybe someone could give me some feedback on what the frequency of blown stock hoses is for the 01-03 TTs. I limit it to those years just for the sake of focusing on what some might consider as ageing hoses. The radiator hoses are more prone to failure than any others. I've blown one myself.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Chuck, When you pull the old hoses off, you see how flimsy they are and wonder how the hell they stayed on... They're a weak link, especially in the 2001s.

I did a DIY and I think it's over on RENNTECH... Takes a couple hours max to do them.

Mike
Old 06-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Mike...are you talking about the boost and turbo hoses? I've gone thru the ones on my 02...and although I will admit they appear a bit thin, I'm consistently running them at 1.1 and 1.2 and havne't had any problems. I've put almost 20K miles on the car since I bought it in November of 07...some of it hard driving. I imagine that you're quite correct in that the ravages of time combined with the enemy of all engines and parts....time, heat and stress...would serve to eventually weaken them. But I haven't heard of anyone complain about actual failures.....maybe they look flimsey, but they haven't actually failed. Now I have to qualify that statement with limiting the horses to under 600...of course a 7-800 hp monster is going to produce some fiersome boost and stress and would mandate better and stronger hoses.....that just happened to match the color of the car...

I know that eventually I'll be doing a replacement, but is a hose changeout part of the Porsche 60K major service protocol? I haven't heard of it being a requirment, so if it's not, the Porsche engineers must feel that the longevity of the hoses is sufficiently stout to remain in till the next major scheduled service.

Although I'll probably get a few slams out of this.....I feel that a lot of the early hose changeouts have more to do with esthetics than it does with any engineering issue. Sort of the same thing that drives guys to install a spiffy looking carbon fibre air induction box....CF looks so spiffy.....I just don't drive around a lot with the rear engine cover up. Ok...Ok....yeah I'm a conservative old fart.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:03 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

The Turbo looks great
Old 06-10-2009, 11:45 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Snygg bil! Grattis!
Old 06-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Mike,

Can't find the DIY over on Renntech. Got link?

Cao,

Johannes

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Chuck, When you pull the old hoses off, you see how flimsy they are and wonder how the hell they stayed on... They're a weak link, especially in the 2001s.

I did a DIY and I think it's over on RENNTECH... Takes a couple hours max to do them.

Mike
Old 06-16-2009, 11:48 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

I'm with you Chuck. I have EVO Stage 2 (runs 1.1-1.2 bar) with the stock hoses. Not one problem in over 20k miles.

Quick Reply: Meet the new Gray Reef Shark!!