Bose in 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose in 996TT

Hi!

Was the Bose sound system ever available as an option in -01 TT's?

Ciao,

J
Old 05-28-2009, 11:33 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Not 100% sure, but I think so...
Old 05-28-2009, 11:46 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Yes as an option...not the MOST Bose system.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:37 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
Hi!

Was the Bose sound system ever available as an option in -01 TT's?

Ciao,

J
The answer is no (and since I designed it, I think I might be qualified to respond)

Interesting side story....
2002 was supposed to be the introduction year of MOST (with the Bose system)...not only at Porsche, but at Audi and Mercedes/Maybach as well. All 3 car companies were to use the same Bose/MOST/DSP amplifier (named 'Autobahn')...Here is the official logo that ended up on the shirts handed out to the team when it was delivered (the story behind the logo is more interesting than the story behind the amplifier design)

Unfortunately, MOST wasn't quite ready, so at literally the last minute, an analog Bose system was assembled and delivered to Porsche for MY02 only.
This is why MY02 Bose systems are easy to modify/update...they are just line level analog systems (like everything before them).

MY03 was the first production year for the MOST (Bose) audio systems.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:58 AM
ufo-911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, if I have a 02 with Bose (Non MOST) can I convert it to a MOST setup as I love the OEM Nav look, any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:40 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Technically....yes, although it is a fairly involved project (wiring, trim panels, carefully routing MOST plastic optical fibre...don't bend them!...etc).... it is not exactly a drop in DIY.

Financially...don't ask. The prices for the PCM, amplifier, speakers, etc....Porsche parts doesn't exactly give them away...probably $5000 to start.

FWIW, most people really don't care for the OEM PCM 2.x system, especially the NAV and lack of Bluetooth, Sat radio and iPod integration.

(Sat radio is interesting, Porsche really didn't offer it in the Carreras...until someone....no names....posted on RL in the 997 forums that in fact you could just install the Cayenne OEM Sat radio components, since the Carrera and Cayenne PCM/CDR software is 95% identical)
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...atellite+radio

PCM3.x (recently released) has a touchscreen interface, Bluetooth, iPod, etc.

The vast majority of folks just install an aftermarket LCD screen based headunit and go from there. A good stereo installer (and there have been some very good ones discussed here on RL) has all the necessary equipment and trim pieces to make it look almost original.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:54 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
The answer is no (and since I designed it, I think I might be qualified to respond)

Although the original poster did not ask about MY 01...there are cars available that are 01 with BOSE systems in them just not MOST. I am happy to provide links....
Old 05-30-2009, 01:48 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

You are just the guy I want to talk to. Can you break out of the factory radio and install aftermarket amps? Take a output signal out of the stock head unit and feed it to a aftermarket amp?

Originally Posted by ltc

Interesting side story....
2002 was supposed to be the introduction year of MOST (with the Bose system)...not only at Porsche, but at Audi and Mercedes/Maybach as well. All 3 car companies were to use the same Bose/MOST/DSP amplifier (named 'Autobahn')...Here is the official logo that ended up on the shirts handed out to the team when it was delivered (the story behind the logo is more interesting than the story behind the amplifier design)

Unfortunately, MOST wasn't quite ready, so at literally the last minute, an analog Bose system was assembled and delivered to Porsche for MY02 only.
This is why MY02 Bose systems are easy to modify/update...they are just line level analog systems (like everything before them).

MY03 was the first production year for the MOST (Bose) audio systems.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:04 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by okbarnett
You are just the guy I want to talk to. Can you break out of the factory radio and install aftermarket amps? Take a output signal out of the stock head unit and feed it to a aftermarket amp?
Via the rear panel...no. All audio I/O is via MOST POF.
If you break open the PCM or CDR, sure there are analog test points....but it's probably not worth the trouble.
Your best bet would be to just get a Clean Sweep device (connected to the existing amplifier O/P), then take those outputs and run them to whatever you chose.
(Another option would be to program the existing amplfiier for a Flat EQ, not supported by Porsche, but there is a command to do that....)

Again, most people just get rid of the MOST components and at that point treat it like any other car.

The history behind MOST (which came after D2B) is pretty interesting....somebody did a really good job selling this to the car companies.

P.S. There is now a new MOST format, wherein the plastic optical fiber has been replaced with twisted pair copper wires...think of it as a bit like Ethernet for audio.

Quick Reply: Bose in 996TT