Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone need to keep an eye on tire pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 01:07 PM
screameleons
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone need to keep an eye on tire pressure?

Couple of 996 guys on the other board are polling an order together for the orange electronic tpms retrofit kit. It is supposed to work great with low-profile tires. I've always thought it would be nice to know this info. My truck has it built in and it really is more than just a nice-to-have. The price is pretty good if we can get 10 people on board. Check it out http://www.gotogroupbuy.com/260/Oran...Group-Buy.aspx

Vince
Old 04-14-2009, 02:21 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

linky-no-worky!
Old 04-14-2009, 02:29 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

here is the linky
Old 04-14-2009, 02:54 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds promising! How many in so far?
Sorry-saw the info on the link (3 committed, 5 interested thus far)
You can count me in with the "interested" party.
I also posted this on our PCA region website, trying to get the old ball rollin'!
Old 04-14-2009, 03:56 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

tpms is a PITA when it does not work properly. the wifey's bmw has it and the warning light is always on. has to be reset by dealer.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:18 AM
jjrho
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tpms

well, this is a unit that is not tied to car's /oem programming issues, etc. so it' should work fine i think..... the tpms in the denali is great...accurate to 1psi +/- and is a great device....
the lexus sc430 and tundra tpms are not as helpful in that they do not read individual pressure, and the dummy light goes OFF only when one or more of the sensors see certain pressure or less.... then you have to manually check or visually to see which leaked.....and it is a PITA to reset, requires dealer tool...

this orage comp tpms appears to work as the former....
should be a useful device....and you can see all 4 tire press. at ONCE...

speaking of tire press, what do you guys really run it at? do you think the manual recommendation is appropriate? 36/44 ? 40/48# better?!?

jim R
Old 04-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by jjrho
speaking of tire press, what do you guys really run it at? do you think the manual recommendation is appropriate? 36/44 ? 40/48# better?!?

jim R
I use 34/42.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:09 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jjrho

jim R
why do you question the recommendations on the manual?? i have always set it at those pressures and never had a problem. i have never tracked the car though...if that is why you are questioning those pressures.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:36 PM
MitchW
Advanced

Has anyone seen the installation instructions for the sensors? I know I'm certainly not equipped to remove and replace my tires. I'm guessing you just bring them to your local tire center?Anyone thought about where they would mount the display? Maybe just keep it in the console?
Old 04-16-2009, 01:02 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchW
Has anyone seen the installation instructions for the sensors? I know I'm certainly not equipped to remove and replace my tires. I'm guessing you just bring them to your local tire center?Anyone thought about where they would mount the display? Maybe just keep it in the console?
They would need to be installed by a tire shop and someone with knowledge of the TPMS (according to the website). I would not mount the display personally...as you suggest, just leave it in the console.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:28 PM
boss351
Instructor

I have the mounting instructions pdf, not rocket science but to get the stems swapped you'll need to get the tyre over the rim rear rim lip to get good access, so something for the tyre installers for sure. I am thinking of doing this only for my track wheels/tyres to start with, and then run the receiver from the cigarette lighter and velcro/painters tape it to somewhere visable while on a track weekend. This will be pretty useful on the first session and driving away from the track for those on R compounds that went on at home! I think I put almost as much wear on my rears driving 100 miles home with them under-inflated once when I left the track with them still pretty hot. Got home and they were down to about 30psi! Now I know to stick as much air in as I can before leaving but I'd like this reassurance. Plus it will be interesting to see how fast the tyres reach hot pressure at the track. My Toyos seemed to get there way quicker than the Yoko's I have own now.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:11 PM
screameleons
Instructor

minimum buyers has been met btw. Seems like a lot of people on jumping onto the committed list now.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:45 AM
jjrho
Advanced

Default manual rec'd tire pressure

i nvr take manufacturer's recommendation at face value...
i thought there was more knowledge out there from various drivers in different settings.... some car comp. rec pressure tends to be lower than it really should be, etc... many variables obviously.... but if most are happy at rec'd pressure, it's a good starting point for me to....

btw, i'm trying to get two of those tpms but the system won't let me get another one due to being already signed up... how can i get 2 of those setup? need another set for my nsx....

j.rho
Old 04-23-2009, 12:58 PM
MitchW
Advanced

I checked with my local Goodyear dealer for an install price and was quoted $40 per tire, which included rebalancing. Has anyone else gotten any quotes?
Old 04-24-2009, 05:03 AM
jjrho
Advanced

Default tpms install

well, it should be no more than any new tire installation.....
typically $25 or so per at discount tire....?
putting the tpms at the valve stem .... 5min work per....maybe $5 extra per wheel ?

Quick Reply: anyone need to keep an eye on tire pressure?