Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ready to upgrade the ecu, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 12:29 AM
pellapat
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ready to upgrade the ecu, which one?

hello all,

I appreciate the advise on a previous post. Now I am ready to add some additional power. I do love the power of the car in the stock form. But after owning several subaru's I know how the ecu added power as well as a more balanced power.

I just installed some 05 turbo s wheels and that is about all the upgrades this year other then the ecu. I also need to fork over about 2500 for a 60k service as well as repairing a coolant storage tank and fixing a dash rattle.

So which ecu is the best one? I was thinking of the vivid racing model as it is 1500 compared to others that are 2000.

Please chime in ans as always I really appreciate your opinions.

patrick
Old 04-13-2009, 09:19 AM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Patrick! I am in the same position. Will be doing a tune soon. Check out EPL at http://www.eplabs.net . Tony @ EPL has done some awesome work and the tune is listed at only $1299 !

If you haven't checked 6speedonline do a search over there and you will find a lot of info!

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/

Let us know how it goes! And dont forget to put in good diverter valves if you havent already - the stock ones leak by nature...
Old 04-13-2009, 10:04 AM
pellapat
Intermediate

hey thanks a ton. What is a diverter valve?
Old 04-13-2009, 11:14 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

DVs:
A valve in your car that regulates your turbo power. At idle, your valve is open from vacuum pressure. When you depress the throttle, the diverter valve begins to close. When fully closed, turbo boost is allowed to be delivered to your engine. When you lift the throttle, the boost pressure is released from the valve into your air cleaner box. It is not entirely correct to say the stock DVs "leak by nature". The problem is they do have a tendency to fail (creating a leak in the vacuum system which will effect performance). Changing them is preventive maintenance.

As far as flashes go...you really need to think about where you want the car to be eventually (not just what your budget allows this year). If you buy a flash that does not align with future upgrades, then you will be buying the flash again. So consider where you want to be then do a comprehensive search.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
DVs:
A valve in your car that regulates your turbo power. At idle, your valve is open from vacuum pressure. When you depress the throttle, the diverter valve begins to close. When fully closed, turbo boost is allowed to be delivered to your engine. When you lift the throttle, the boost pressure is released from the valve into your air cleaner box. It is not entirely correct to say the stock DVs "leak by nature". The problem is they do have a tendency to fail (creating a leak in the vacuum system which will effect performance). Changing them is preventive maintenance.

As far as flashes go...you really need to think about where you want the car to be eventually (not just what your budget allows this year). If you buy a flash that does not align with future upgrades, then you will be buying the flash again. So consider where you want to be then do a comprehensive search.
Statman -

Will the stock DVs leak if you try and add a flash and approx 80 HP? (8 year old DVs in a 2001) I had my car flashed this morning, the tech came back following road test and said there was a flat spot, hiccup, cut out, etc when the boost really poured on. The business owner/tech then drove and declared the DVs leaking. I had my original file restored and it ran like a champ again. I am just wondering whether it's the file or the DVs ..... ?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

H_D
Old 04-13-2009, 09:17 PM
raineycd
Racer

Hi Hoosier_Daddy, what flash did you get? I have heard that the factory DVs barely hold stock boost, so they may be right. DVs are pretty much a must with a flash as far as I know...
Old 04-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by raineycd
Hi Hoosier_Daddy, what flash did you get? I have heard that the factory DVs barely hold stock boost, so they may be right. DVs are pretty much a must with a flash as far as I know...
Upsolute ...

I have been told that there may have been an issue with the file. There was some type of a main system software change in Europe and a new file has been passed down. I'll learn more once we try the new file.

Holding .9, to me, didn't seem like an overly optimistic chore for the stock DVs. Guess we'll see.

H_D
Old 04-14-2009, 11:37 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
Statman -

Will the stock DVs leak if you try and add a flash and approx 80 HP? (8 year old DVs in a 2001) I had my car flashed this morning, the tech came back following road test and said there was a flat spot, hiccup, cut out, etc when the boost really poured on. The business owner/tech then drove and declared the DVs leaking. I had my original file restored and it ran like a champ again. I am just wondering whether it's the file or the DVs ..... ?

H_D
Hmmm. Does not sound right. If the DVs were toast, they would be toast for all programs IMO. The description of the performance also does not sound like DVs...It will be more like a leak affecting boost performance. What flash is it? Remember replacing the DVs is a preventive maintenance issue...meaning the stock DVs are a weak link in the vacuum system and they may/will go at some point. BTW, there are plenty of folks running flashed ECUs with stock DVs...and no issues...yet.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:03 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
Statman -

H_D

why not change the dv's ...they are not expensive. always heard that when adding more boost its always a good idea to change the oem plastic valves. change the valves, flash it again and see what happens.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Guys please give me a call if interested in OBD flashing of your car.

No need to rip out and send your ECU. Flashing is done in your garage or office. No need to travel to a dealer or shop.

Feel free to call me or 360.805-9066 or email me kevin@ultimatemotorwerks.com

If you have a X50 car the price is the same $1,295 however, I would recommend my billet wastegate kit.

The bypass valves or diverter valves do fail, you will instantly notice a honking sound. You can flash your ECU and purchase the valves at a later date.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Housier give me a call I will shed some light with your "known issue"
Old 04-15-2009, 09:42 PM
pellapat
Intermediate

I really appreciate everyone's input. Great ideas

I spoke to kevin today and he set me straight. He gave me a list of things to change out prior to the tune. He also lives at about the same elevation I do. the guy is really sharp and has got my money hands down.

So pictures will comwe as soon as I get everything together. I just mounted a set of 05 turbo s wheels from another member Bruce in Colorado Springs. another first class person.

great to be in a first class community.

patrick
Old 04-15-2009, 09:54 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

yes Kevin does know his altitudes....just ask us CO guys!!! you are in good hands!
Old 04-15-2009, 11:23 PM
raineycd
Racer

Give Tony @ EPL a call as well. The EPL flash also has some features that I dont think any other does such as Launch Control and gear specific rev limiters and no lift shifting...

Worth a comparison...
Old 04-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for Kevin. I have been very happy with his product.

Quick Reply: ready to upgrade the ecu, which one?