Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ready to upgrade the ecu, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I've been exposed for being verbose, pedantic, and excessively long winded in the strictest literary sense....I never could write a summary. I was heavily influenced by Mitchner. Always seem to take the scenic route.

Are you and KPG buds? He's a true gentleman.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:59 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
I guess I've been exposed for being verbose, pedantic, and excessively long winded in the strictest literary sense....I never could write a summary. I was heavily influenced by Mitchner. Always seem to take the scenic route.

Are you and KPG buds? He's a true gentleman.
Chuck, just funnin' with you as I always enjoy your posts.. Actually I had only met Kevin (KPG) on this site. He said he would be in the area and asked if he could try the clutch. So I said sure...he arrived with his rig. We went for a short ride...I let him give it a go and that was that. I agree he is a really nice guy...and a modaholic...LOL
Old 06-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

The only modaholic I know who has his OWN personalized and personally designed transport vehicle. That truck is something else....IIRC, there are only two ever made like it. Life continues to be good for some who reap what they sow.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must be one of the lucky ones. I have Kevin's tune, a Europipe Stage 2 exhaust and dual snorkel air intake and track my car. I have never had any clutch issues, knock on wood. Kevin, if you are monitoring this thread, is there something different tune wise for higher rpm track work that might be safer as far as A/F ratios? I have been mixing 93 octane with 100 at a 50/50 % rate.

Last edited by Land Jet; 06-11-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:12 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Land Jet
I must be one of the lucky ones. I have Kevin's tune, a Europipe Stage 2 exhaust and dual snorkel air intake and track my car. I have never had an clutch issues, knock on wood. Kevin, if you are monitoring this thread, is there something different tune wise for higher rpm track work that might be safer as far as A/F ratios? I have been mixing 93 octane with 100 at a 50/50 % rate.
Larry, are you on stock fuel system (FPR, injectors, rails?) If so I caution the use of the high octane fuel with the race file...at least on mine, the fuel delivery couldn't keep up. I still think it is of benefit (safety) to run the mix or straight 100 for what you are doing, even if it isn't a significant performance issue.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have a race file, just a 93 octane file, and I'm on stock FPR, injectors, and rails. I put in 100 octane to prevent pre-detonation and the car seems to have a little more punch.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:29 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Land Jet
I don't have a race file, just a 93 octane file, and I'm on stock FPR, injectors, and rails. I put in 100 octane to prevent pre-detonation and the car seems to have a little more punch.
Larry that sounds fine...I would not do the race tune with that hardware.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:19 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

What's the duty cycle of the stock FPR in a 91 or 93 octane performance flash? Is there a need to go to a 5 Bar FPR for the .....I guess you'd call it....the "basic performane flash"??? Let's say more or less arbitrarily that you're running about 525 crank hp using a good exhaust, DV's, K24's with wastegate kits....at that level can the stock FPR provide enough fuel for WOT performance levels, or do you need to go to a 5 bar just to be "safe"??? Will the DME tune pull timing to keep it within bounds?
Old 06-12-2009, 11:05 PM
04s4_nc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running Protomotive.....a lot of great tuners out there. Go with the guy you feel most comfortable with.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

"......Go with the guy you feel most comfortable with."

The statement is true...it's a common sense statement. Of course you should get the product from the tuner you feel most comfortable with. The problem with the statement is ...Where does a guy who's just coming on the scene get his "comfort level"? He/she gets it from reading the various threads, or perhaps from the one-on-one recommendation from a friend, Porsche mechanic, or other source.

There are definitely some tuners and some tuning products that are better than others. Many on this and other forums are reticent about naming names for fear of offending the tuner they didn't mention...or perhaps worse, naming a tuner whose product has a history of failure. But "failure" is often related to hearsay...with some actual anecdotal first hand events thrown in. So how does someone get "comfortable"?

One way is to look at who is buying what product, and over what period of time. Almost everyone reports "fantastic acceleration....great performance....WOW....Wish I had done this sooner". These are usually nothing more than adjectives used to describe a performance level that didn't exist prior to the tune. But that doesn't make it a good tune, or the person installing it a good tuner.

Then there's the cost involved....I've seen some buy a particular tune (here I go not naming names) because it cost less than $1000 (how's that for non-specific). Others may buy it because it's MORE expensive therefore must be better...others buy because it's in close proximity to where they live....others look to the forums and do a quick mental count of the kudos....but it seems that most are influenced by who seems to be selling the most at the moment their decision needs to be made. Sort of like the last man standing syndrome. Popularity comes and goes....today's hot seller is relegated to a lesser positon tomorrow as another tuner takes the marquis.

So I throw it out to the crowd....aside from the fact that it's the one you happen to be running...in truth, what influenced you to buy what you did? If you were a newbie hitting the scene and dont have a lot of experience with Porsche; you just got the car, you have a bit of money and immediately want to make the car faster....like Ghostbusters.....Who do you call? What criteria are you going to use to make that important decision? I pared my list down to two tuners after a lot of emailing, talking to them on the phone, and PM'ing folks whose signature showed me the tune I was interested in.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:24 AM
Soul
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
So I throw it out to the crowd....aside from the fact that it's the one you happen to be running...in truth, what influenced you to buy what you did? If you were a newbie hitting the scene and dont have a lot of experience with Porsche; you just got the car, you have a bit of money and immediately want to make the car faster....like Ghostbusters.....Who do you call? What criteria are you going to use to make that important decision?
After a bit of research, I came to the conclusion that the performance increase of a flash for k16s wouldn't vary much between tuners. From there it was looking through customer feedback and reading posts made by the vendors. In the end I went with Kevin UMW as there was zero negative feedback that I could find. He also doesn't solicit much but a lot of people still used his services and give postive feedback. When I spoke to him I also never felt pressured to buy which is a huge plus for me.

There's my noob experience
Old 06-13-2009, 09:42 AM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome! Have you got it flashed yet? Can't wait to hear your ride review! I just did an EPL Stage 1 flash and the car is night and day better!

Now if we can get Kevin and Tony @ EPL to get their websites updated, we might have an easier time finding information and not keep them on the phone for hours a day!

I may know someone who does websites! :lol:
Old 06-14-2009, 12:02 AM
MGS996
Racer

Originally Posted by Soul
After a bit of research, I came to the conclusion that the performance increase of a flash for k16s wouldn't vary much between tuners. From there it was looking through customer feedback and reading posts made by the vendors. In the end I went with Kevin UMW as there was zero negative feedback that I could find. He also doesn't solicit much but a lot of people still used his services and give postive feedback. When I spoke to him I also never felt pressured to buy which is a huge plus for me.

There's my noob experience
In adding to Soul’s comments. A large element to Kevin’s success (in my case anyway) he exceeds your expectations.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, but I'm hard at work designing "Joe's Expectations 2.0", the sequel...

"OK, so the Porsche is fine, but my daughter's Camry is still pretty bogus. Whatcha goin to do about it Kevin?"
Old 06-15-2009, 01:24 AM
deepblue
Rennlist Member

Amen brother, couldn't have said it better.

In addition with what feels right, go with someone who answers your questions, not with what you want to hear but consistency and without scope creep.

I have the UMW 2c setup, its amazing especially at 6000' altitude, Kevin knows definitely his code :-)

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Larry that sounds fine...I would not do the race tune with that hardware.

Quick Reply: ready to upgrade the ecu, which one?