Sponsored by:

Engine Steam and Leaking Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 03:39 PM
MitchW
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Steam and Leaking Coolant

I pulled into my garage the other day and noticed steam coming from below the air filter housing of my 2004 TT. Then I drove it again the next day, fairly hard, and saw some coolant on my driveway, although none under the car in my garage. I had the cooling system pressure tested less than 1 thousand miles ago because of a funny smell I couldn't place, and they found no leaks.

Any suggestions as to what might be going on? Also, I have not had to add coolant to the car. Do I need to get it special from my Porsche dealer? The owners manual does not specify the exact coolant to use, other than it needs to be from Porsche.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2009, 04:00 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

check the cap, it is known to fail and leak...it quite possibly would leak out, but dry up before it reached the floor.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:31 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look under the coolant tank...look for some white crusted residue. When they leak, the coolant dries and leaves a white substance there....could be the cap, or the tank. Sometimes they get hairline fractures that don't leak until the car is up to normal running temps.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:46 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 321 Likes on 221 Posts

Can you tell us which side of the car? There is a overflow/vent that dumps to the ground on the left side above the cat.

If you open your decklid and see steam from the top center, you can have a oil heat exchanger oring failure. Keep a eye on that one..

You should have a pink coolant which is the Genuine Porsche. Go to your dealer and buy the Porsche Coolant. Zerex makes the coolant for Porsche>> special additives/corrosion protection.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:42 PM
MitchW
Advanced

Thanks for your replies. When I noticed the steam, it was coming evenly from the entire length of the bottom of the air cleaner compartment. I do see some antifreeze pooling around the cap of the coolant expansion tank. While I see no obvious cracks or distortion of the cap, replacing it is certainly the easiest and cheapest first go at fixing the problem. It will also get me to my dealer, who I try to avoid at all costs, to buy some antifreeze.

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

By the way, does anyone have any experience dealing with Pat Williams racing (also does repair work) in Memphis?
Old 04-06-2009, 11:50 AM
MitchW
Advanced

Changed the expansion tank cap and it seems to have fixed things. Thanks for the advise for a cheap fix!
Old 04-06-2009, 09:17 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$160 for the diagnostics, $28 for the cap- no charge for installation since we like you so much..... feel free to have a cappuccino in our waiting room.

A
Old 04-07-2009, 11:29 AM
MitchW
Advanced

You forgot the $25 for the gallon of Porsche antifreeze I needed to top off the expansion tank. Wouldn't want you to get in trouble with your service manager for undercharging!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:03 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

glad it worked out.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:50 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 337 Likes on 233 Posts

You're lucky that's all it was - I had an oil heat exchanger fail last year, which was a big job to replace.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 04-09-2009, 05:13 PM
MitchW
Advanced

John-What were your cars symptoms?
Old 04-09-2009, 07:45 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I was driving down the road and the "check coolant" light came on. In 80,000 miles, I had never seen this light before, so it was alarming. I pulled over and immediately saw heavy steam coming from the entire back end. Upon looking underneath, there was massive coolant leaking. I was very close to my home and drove the car home quickly, watching the engine temp. I had the car transported the next morning and after some digging, they found a pressed in aluminum tube that the coolant hose mounts to had popped out of the oil cooler. It was a freak failure - the other side was tight as could be, but this side had worked it's way loose, then popped out. It required removing the engine to access. In the picture below, you can see the one tube that is in tact and the other side that is missing the tube. You would know if you had something like this - it's not subtle when it goes.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:36 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by John D II
I was driving down the road and the "check coolant" light came on. In 80,000 miles, I had never seen this light before, so it was alarming. I pulled over and immediately saw heavy steam coming from the entire back end. Upon looking underneath, there was massive coolant leaking. I was very close to my home and drove the car home quickly, watching the engine temp. I had the car transported the next morning and after some digging, they found a pressed in aluminum tube that the coolant hose mounts to had popped out of the oil cooler. It was a freak failure - the other side was tight as could be, but this side had worked it's way loose, then popped out. It required removing the engine to access. In the picture below, you can see the one tube that is in tact and the other side that is missing the tube. You would know if you had something like this - it's not subtle when it goes.

John,

How did you repair/replace this? Any other pics?

-td
Old 08-13-2009, 01:30 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

My shop ordered a new part and replaced it. We did all the coolant hoses at the same time, due to the age and mileage on my car. The hoses are cheap and easy with the motor out and the system dry...

Quick Reply: Engine Steam and Leaking Coolant