Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DE Question: Is 996 Cab With Hardtop (but no roll bar) DE Eligible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:44 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DE Question: Is 996 Cab With Hardtop (but no roll bar) DE Eligible?

Do any of you cab guys do DEs?

I am in the CVR of PCA, and my "home" tracks would be Limetock and Monticello. I want to do a few DEs this season, but I do NOT want to install a roll bar in my cab because it kills the use of the back seats. (taking it in and out for each DE is just too much of a PITA). So, my question is:

Is my 996 cabrio without a roll bar but with a factory hard top in place eligible to participate in DEs?

As I understand it, PCA is ok with it (I spoke to Pete Tremper, the PCA tech Guru and a really good guy), but I am not sure about the CVR chapter or Limerock and Monticello.

Any input apprciated.

Gary
Old 02-26-2009, 08:34 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I believe you're good.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I attended a DE day last weekend put on by Hooked on Driving. There were several newer 996 cabs running with tops down....they were in a different group than I was, so I don' t know what the acceptance criteria or prerequisites were....but they were running in a mixed group of cabs and coupes....what I did notice is that none of them had any instructors or passengers....they all ran solo. The coupes did have passengers. I would imagine that the automatic deploying devices for rollovers would be a requirement from a vicarious liability standpoint....but I don't know what PCNA's rules are. I also don't know if any of the cars were running without some sort of roll bar device.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:56 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GBG
As I understand it, PCA is ok with it (I spoke to Pete Tremper, the PCA tech Guru and a really good guy), but I am not sure about the CVR chapter or Limerock and Monticello.

Any input apprciated.

Gary
I can find no mention of the use of a cabriolet hardtop in the CVR DE regs.
FWIW, I would agree with Pete, a cab with factory hardtop meets the broomstick requirement (since it is essentially a 'coupe' at that point)

http://www.cvrpca.org/cvrde.php

APPENDIX B: 2009 CVR DRIVER'S EDUCATION REGULATIONS

11. All open cars, including cabriolets and Boxsters, must have a visible, approved roll bar which conforms to the following: With the occupant(s) (student and instructor, if applicable) firmly and correctly belted into the vehicle, the occupant(s) helmet must be below a straight line drawn between the top of the windshield and the top of the roll bar (clearance in a “Broomstick Test”). It is further recommended that roll bar be padded in any area that may come in contact with the occupant(s) helmet. Participation of open cars requiring instructors will be limited at each event based on the number of volunteer instructors who pass the “Broomstick Test”.

http://www.cvrpca.org/cvrdecomm.php
Old 02-26-2009, 11:41 PM
GBG
Pro

Originally Posted by ltc
I can find no mention of the use of a cabriolet hardtop in the CVR DE regs.
FWIW, I would agree with Pete, a cab with factory hardtop meets the broomstick requirement (since it is essentially a 'coupe' at that point)

http://www.cvrpca.org/cvrde.php

APPENDIX B: 2009 CVR DRIVER'S EDUCATION REGULATIONS

11. All open cars, including cabriolets and Boxsters, must have a visible, approved roll bar which conforms to the following: With the occupant(s) (student and instructor, if applicable) firmly and correctly belted into the vehicle, the occupant(s) helmet must be below a straight line drawn between the top of the windshield and the top of the roll bar (clearance in a “Broomstick Test”). It is further recommended that roll bar be padded in any area that may come in contact with the occupant(s) helmet. Participation of open cars requiring instructors will be limited at each event based on the number of volunteer instructors who pass the “Broomstick Test”.

http://www.cvrpca.org/cvrdecomm.php
Thanks Lewis. I looked at the same language you did and reached the same conclusion: the CVR rules require a roll bar for cabs, but there is no mention of a factory hardtop being the equivalent of a roll bar. So, am just to assume that a hardtop = roll bar and I'm good to go? I guess I need to make some calls to Limerock and Monticello. I don't want to show up only to be sent home... I am waiting to hear back from CVR.

Thanks for your input.

Chuck, they may have been in the "Novice Group", who, by PCA rules, do not need roll bars for cabs. But eventually they will get to Green and the roll bar requirement kicks in.

Gary
Old 02-27-2009, 01:21 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

gary/, did you get the work done at FL already?
Sweet!
I've seen several cabs at pca de's at lamerocck, I'm 99% sure you should be good. I would email the tech advisor for cvr pca de's.
c
Old 02-27-2009, 04:52 PM
GBG
Pro

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
gary/, did you get the work done at FL already?
Sweet!
I've seen several cabs at pca de's at lamerocck, I'm 99% sure you should be good. I would email the tech advisor for cvr pca de's.
c
Hey Chris,

Yes. Sat down with Kip and talked for an hour-- great guy and incredibly knowledgeable. The shop is very impressive too. All in all, I just had a great feeling about him and F-L, plus it's only 20 minutes from my house, so I pulled the trigger. I am really pumped up about the upgrade! Thanks again.

I've asked PCA CVR techs and they are looking into the hardtop/roll bar question for me. I'm surprised that it seems to be such novel issue?! I'll post when I get answer so that other cabbies like me can hit the DEs. Thanks.

Gary
Old 02-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by GBG
Hey Chris,

Yes. Sat down with Kip and talked for an hour-- great guy and incredibly knowledgeable. The shop is very impressive too. All in all, I just had a great feeling about him and F-L, plus it's only 20 minutes from my house, so I pulled the trigger. I am really pumped up about the upgrade! Thanks again.

I've asked PCA CVR techs and they are looking into the hardtop/roll bar question for me. I'm surprised that it seems to be such novel issue?! I'll post when I get answer so that other cabbies like me can hit the DEs. Thanks.

Gary
But once you get used to 600HP, you'll want 700. Trust me on this.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:27 PM
GBG
Pro

Originally Posted by Al Pettee
But once you get used to 600HP, you'll want 700. Trust me on this.
AL, don't say that! I promised (swore) to myself that this upgrade was it!

Quick Reply: DE Question: Is 996 Cab With Hardtop (but no roll bar) DE Eligible?