Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So Which is Faster the Tiptronic or Standard Web Stats Conflicting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:14 AM
TurboBill911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So Which is Faster the Tiptronic or Standard Web Stats Conflicting?

I went to talk to this friend that sells mercedes now but use to sell porshes. He told me the tiptronic was faster in the 1/4 and 0-60. Well I said no way he went to the porshe website and sure enough the tiptronic had faster numbers. But I have seen faster numbers for the standard at website like Edmunds and other car test magazines. So what is the deal which is faster standard or automatic?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:29 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

TMK, the 997TT tip is faster than the Manual (same driver), but for the 996TT the manual is faster (same driver).
Old 01-05-2009, 02:25 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

a tip 997 TT is a bit faster than a 6sp. A 996 Tip is SLOWER than a 6sp. A 997-mk2 PDK is also faster than a 6sp
Old 01-05-2009, 10:15 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

According strictly to tech bulletins/stats/etc....the manual is faster. However, I have yet to be beat on the strip or otherwise in my TIP by similiar set up 996TT's. Which doesn't mean I am a great driver. Truth be told I'm just a lazy SOB which is why I have a TIP in the first place. I think I just haven't run into a GREAT manual driver yet.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:37 AM
harris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wross996tt
TMK, the 997TT tip is faster than the Manual (same driver), but for the 996TT the manual is faster (same driver).

+1
Old 01-06-2009, 04:23 PM
k4site
Instructor

Who cares a Porsche is not a muscle car, go buy a GT500 if you want go power!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:06 AM
TurboBill911
Advanced

I disagree I do think a porshe is a muscle car. Sheesh I haven't been beat by anybody on the street yet.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:47 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Having driven both, the answer is different than published or posted.
Re 996tt:
If you are willing to torture your manual 996tt with a drop clutch start and slam shifts, it will definitely out-accelerate a tip all the way up thru the gears. However, nobody will do that with their own car on a day-in day-out basis.
The 996tt tip is faster in daily stop-and-go driving, as the manual requires a relatively slow 1-2 shift half way thru the intersection.
If you won't do a drop clutch launch, the tip will get away faster from a standing start
If you are not a track expert, the tip (on a shorter course) will also get around faster than a manual, even if left in full auto. As the driver gets better and the straights get longer, the advantage disappears.
One more place the tip is faster is highway cruising. When you cruise along in the manual in 6th gear, and you want to quickly pass someone, you may need 2 downshifts. The tip just requires that you quickly floor the throttle. Turbochargers and autoboxes are suited for each other in that circumstance..
AS
Old 01-07-2009, 01:05 PM
harris
Burning Brakes

in most of the races I have seen over here in greece (very slipery roads.....) tiptronic 996 TT's were faster in most of the races...(assume that cars had similar Hp)

getting the first few meters of the drag race right is very hard and you need very good skills in order to achieve the publish results...

although Man in paper are faster...

harris
Old 01-10-2009, 12:08 AM
DublinOh
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Having driven both, the answer is different than published or posted.
Re 996tt:
If you are willing to torture your manual 996tt with a drop clutch start and slam shifts, it will definitely out-accelerate a tip all the way up thru the gears. However, nobody will do that with their own car on a day-in day-out basis.
The 996tt tip is faster in daily stop-and-go driving, as the manual requires a relatively slow 1-2 shift half way thru the intersection.
If you won't do a drop clutch launch, the tip will get away faster from a standing start
If you are not a track expert, the tip (on a shorter course) will also get around faster than a manual, even if left in full auto. As the driver gets better and the straights get longer, the advantage disappears.
One more place the tip is faster is highway cruising. When you cruise along in the manual in 6th gear, and you want to quickly pass someone, you may need 2 downshifts. The tip just requires that you quickly floor the throttle. Turbochargers and autoboxes are suited for each other in that circumstance..
AS
Agree...and more driver skill needed for the manual for sure

Quick Reply: So Which is Faster the Tiptronic or Standard Web Stats Conflicting?