Sponsored by:

Quick Question for 2004 TT Owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 12:15 PM
MitchW
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Question for 2004 TT Owners

I recently added an iPod adapter to my car, and have noticed that when I remove the key and and exit the car (open and close the door), on the dash the clock, digital speedometer, and parts of the central display (odometer and trip meter) remain illuminated. When I use the remote to lock the doors and activate the alarm, they go out; otherwise, they stay on. I'm not sure if the car was doing this before I installed the iPod unit. Do your cars do this?

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:15 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does this and I don't have an ipod adapter.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:50 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Normal....what is really funny is you can start the stereo just by opening the door....without the key...
Old 12-10-2008, 05:10 PM
MitchW
Advanced

That is exactly what happens with the Dension iPod unit...actually it turns on when I unlock the door; don't even need to open it. My concern was a weak battery the morning after I installed the Dension Gateway. I do now know I better not forget to lock the door or the thing won't turn off, along with the dash display.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Blue Monster
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchW
That is exactly what happens with the Dension iPod unit...actually it turns on when I unlock the door; don't even need to open it. My concern was a weak battery the morning after I installed the Dension Gateway. I do now know I better not forget to lock the door or the thing won't turn off, along with the dash display.
MitchW,

Just curious, how long did it take for you to install the Dension Gateway? Thanks.

--BM
Old 12-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lights stay on for a good amount of time, but the manual says they are leds so they should have a pretty low draw. I figured something was wrong until I read the owners manual; somewhere buried in there it describes the lights staying on and for how long.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:35 PM
911TTCAB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue Monster
MitchW,

Just curious, how long did it take for you to install the Dension Gateway? Thanks.

--BM
Mine took a couple of hours. I only use the USB Flash drive since I do not own an iPod (use my blackberry for tunes).
Old 12-11-2008, 02:18 PM
MitchW
Advanced

I had it professionally installed.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Blue Monster
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default thanks

Originally Posted by 911TTCAB
Mine took a couple of hours. I only use the USB Flash drive since I do not own an iPod (use my blackberry for tunes).
Thanks, that's the way I plan to use it as well, I have been on the fence, cost/need for more tunes, I have the 6 disc changer, but burning MP3s on CDs feels very 2001, although my first car only had a cassette player (1984 VW Quantum Wagon), haven't been upset enough to pull the trigger, next year's long drives to Watkins Glen might require something more, I am OK with DIY car audio installs, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting over my head. Thanks again.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:36 PM
mmcmilla
Advanced

Originally Posted by MitchW
I recently added an iPod adapter to my car, and have noticed that when I remove the key and and exit the car (open and close the door), on the dash the clock, digital speedometer, and parts of the central display (odometer and trip meter) remain illuminated. When I use the remote to lock the doors and activate the alarm, they go out; otherwise, they stay on. I'm not sure if the car was doing this before I installed the iPod unit. Do your cars do this?

Thanks!
MitchW, I have a 2004 TT like you. I've been interested in the iPod adapter too. How do you like it? How much should I expect to pay? Does it integrate with the PCM display? Where does the connector to the iPod/USB/MP3 player come out? Will it recharge the iPod when connected? Thanks for any info.

(BTW, as you can see from all the other replies, interior lights and dashboard illumination stay on for a period on after car is turned off and pop on when you open the door after the car has been turned off. Your car is acting normal!)
Old 12-13-2008, 04:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Normal....what is really funny is you can start the stereo just by opening the door....without the key...
That is by design and common to many modern cars
the infotainment system is connected directly to battery
when the door is opened a CAN wakeup message is sent and the headunit powers up
some cars Cadillac for instance, use the sound system to produce chimes so it has to be designed this way

Quick Reply: Quick Question for 2004 TT Owners