Sponsored by:

New Turbo (Lemon)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 12:13 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting thread.

Lemon might be harsh, but clearly you bought a car with unknown mods...and lite history...which is a dangerous situation.

The most important point of the thread, IMHO, is that a Porsche dealer should be treated any differently than any used car lot. Until they EARN your trust, you should not place any stock in their relationship with the manufacturer.

Post the VIN, BTW. Google will pick it up and the new buyer might have more information that you did.

A
Old 12-02-2008, 12:48 AM
porschespeeddemon
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackel
So... you are not affiliated, but work for them and know everything about what happened... hmmm....

Since we're going there...

As far as the alternator, the dealer had to jump the car when I came in (before buying it) because it wouldn't turn over!

The dealer also had previously fixed a code problem and failed to list the remedy (which was a MAF sensor, BTW). I had asked for carfax and service history for weeks and didn't get it until I showed up to buy the car. I asked them to check the washers on the car and they didn't. Guess what was broken when I came to pick it up? Ezzy picked me out specifically to show this car to instead of getting rid of it to wholesale. This is not some Colfax sub 10 grand car dealership we are talking about. You have to fight them just to get a 2nd key (don't beleive me, try buying a used car and see...) I realize after paying them over 3 thousand dollars for nothing, plus taxes, plus repairs, etc I might be a little upset.

Would you be??

If not, they also sent me off with only 2 threads holding each rear wheel. This is after they did their own "safety inspection". Their response was it must have been the previous owner. Hello! YOU ARE the previous owner!

And for its final problem - if it's such an easy fix, why didn't the service department say so? And how come Justin had to rev my car to keep it running after a brand new alternator was put in. Or, why less than a half mile down the road (BTW it does have the new waffle in it already and a proper lubed air filter) after being "repaired" did the PASM, ABS, and CEL lights come on (yes, MAF # 3 was toast)?

Because the car is a total f!$%ing lemon, thats why. Does speeddemon, aka Stevinson Imports Employee, really think I spent over ten grand just to turn it back in?!?

But to answer one thing on everyone's mind, yes, I should have seen by all the above attemts to "cover up" this cars many problems, and the way they do usiness, that I should have just left and never come back. Guess they aren't any different than the hole in the wall dealers on Colfax. I expected better, my bad.

I'm just trying to save fellow Rennlist folks my misfortune.

Go ahead and buy from them if you think they still sound like a trustworthy dealership to you.

PS Still love Porsche and appreciate the fine folks I've met on this site and at PCA. Heck, I even hope Speeddemon understands this car is no simple fix and that I am not "taking anything out" on him. But this car is NOT fine mechanically.
I never said I was not affiliated. I said I gain nothing from posting that information. Big difference. I take no offense to you being angry with the car/sales dept. Maybe the "" was a bit uncalled for, especially since you were not "taking anything out" on me. Also, I think all the car needs to be reliable is a stock airbox, but we will find out soon enough, since one is being installed. My post in no way was a personal attack on you. I'm not sure I can say the same about your post towards me. If someone else wants my opinon on the car, I will share it. The car I think will take a unique buyer, it's not for everyone. Best of luck on your search for your next car, and even with this situation, I'm glad to see that you will still be searching for something with the German crest on the front.

Last edited by porschespeeddemon; 12-02-2008 at 01:18 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:25 AM
deepblue
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, EVO airbox = blown mafs, I am sure this will spark controversy, but I experienced 3 mafs on mine. Sold on eBay :-) I'd say get the beautiful red turbo and I am sure there are enough of us CO turbos to help you out. I (and a bunch of others) know the tech guys at Stevinson, nothing but good experiences.

Originally Posted by porschespeeddemon
Sorry to hear of the problems, but the car did have an Evo airbox,(among other mods) which some say they are more prone to failing air mass meters. I believe it did not have the "waffle" in it, which others have said helps night/day. Also was a non-oiled filter. With a factory airbox, and maybe losing 8-10HP, I think this would have been a non-issue, and also, as far as the alternator goes, there is no good way of knowing it is "failing". If it was working the entire time the car was at the dealer, and the time it was with its previous owner (which it was), there would have been no reason to suspect it was going to be an issue. The car is mechanically in fine working condition. I do not benefit in any way from posting this, I am just calling it like I have seen the events unfold. Car is also having a stock airbox put back in it before it is resold, in an attempt to keep this from re-occuring.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:26 AM
deepblue
Rennlist Member

Shrimp, you still with us in the turbo?

Originally Posted by Tim Wasmer
I have heard the same thing Demon.

Sales department aside I have always had VERY good luck at Stevinson.

Sorry to see you had an issue.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Jackel
Instructor

VIN # is WP0AB299X2S686566.

Also, I apologize if I made it seem personal to Speeddemon. It was personal, but not with you (unless you're the GM, the Sales Manager, or Salesman). I was upset because I felt someone was trolling and then doing "damage mitigation" for Stevinson. You weren't appearantly, so I am sorry if I came across poorly.

I do wish the airbox was the only issue, but the car did run very bad after the new alternator, before it even blew the MAF, so who knows how much damage was/is being caused to the car. I now agree with the previous post about a car with a lot of mods and issues being too big a risk. Maybe for someone with a LOT of money to throw at it they might get lucky. I'll stay with what the previous thread said though. I should have just gotten one with a fulll history and all original parts available and will do just that in the future.

I have relaxed (a little) about this experience. However, a lot of things were done wrong by the Dealership that should, and could, have been done better to keep a repeat customer instead of losing one.

Speeddemon, I look forward to seeing you on here again, sorry I came across ugly towards you. Thanks again all!
Old 12-03-2008, 12:43 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would never buy a modded car as a general rule of thumb, jackel's car is a classic example, he should get his 10k back as well. Better to get a stone cold stock car with a warranty/or known history, get to know the car, then mod it yourself, that's the fun of it imo.
Somebody else around here bought a highly modded example as well, hope it worked out.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:29 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Chris: We've had this discussion before....and that is....most folks recommend that before you sell a car, you strip off the mods and sell it as "stock" because it seems that most mindsets consider a stock car to be unfettered with the alleged abuse or hard driving that one with a series of mods might be subjected to. But if you were to get some way to get honest and credible answers from a lot of the guys on these forums about how they treat their cars with the mods they've installed, you'd find that they treat and maintain them extremely well.....so the mere fact a car is advertised as "stock" is no guarantee that it's truly a stock vehicle and hasn't been retro'd to stock as recommended by many on this and other forums....or that a car that has some good quality mods in it is somehow less than a desireable or reliable vehicle. Most of the folks I know who have modded their cars have done so with care, quite a bit of money, and good taste. I realize that's not a universal truth, but neither is the recommendation to hold off buying until you can find that virgin stock vehicle.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:35 AM
porschespeeddemon
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackel
VIN # is WP0AB299X2S686566.

Also, I apologize if I made it seem personal to Speeddemon. It was personal, but not with you (unless you're the GM, the Sales Manager, or Salesman). I was upset because I felt someone was trolling and then doing "damage mitigation" for Stevinson. You weren't appearantly, so I am sorry if I came across poorly.

I do wish the airbox was the only issue, but the car did run very bad after the new alternator, before it even blew the MAF, so who knows how much damage was/is being caused to the car. I now agree with the previous post about a car with a lot of mods and issues being too big a risk. Maybe for someone with a LOT of money to throw at it they might get lucky. I'll stay with what the previous thread said though. I should have just gotten one with a fulll history and all original parts available and will do just that in the future.

I have relaxed (a little) about this experience. However, a lot of things were done wrong by the Dealership that should, and could, have been done better to keep a repeat customer instead of losing one.

Speeddemon, I look forward to seeing you on here again, sorry I came across ugly towards you. Thanks again all!

Jackel, I understand you were speaking out of frustration from the situation. Thanks for the apology. I am not any of the positions you listed, I just turn wrenches. Enjoy your "new again" 996 C4, dont be afraid to say hi if you happen to ever make it by the shop again.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:09 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Chris: We've had this discussion before....and that is....most folks recommend that before you sell a car, you strip off the mods and sell it as "stock" because it seems that most mindsets consider a stock car to be unfettered with the alleged abuse or hard driving that one with a series of mods might be subjected to. But if you were to get some way to get honest and credible answers from a lot of the guys on these forums about how they treat their cars with the mods they've installed, you'd find that they treat and maintain them extremely well.....so the mere fact a car is advertised as "stock" is no guarantee that it's truly a stock vehicle and hasn't been retro'd to stock as recommended by many on this and other forums....or that a car that has some good quality mods in it is somehow less than a desireable or reliable vehicle. Most of the folks I know who have modded their cars have done so with care, quite a bit of money, and good taste. I realize that's not a universal truth, but neither is the recommendation to hold off buying until you can find that virgin stock vehicle.
Chuck, I basically agree with you. I think if one is trying to recoupe any funds from modding the car, better sell off the parts seperately.
I agree that a known car, with a known history would be fine to purchase, it's the ebay special -franken cars that I have an issue with buying.
But, keep in mind, even with the top shops doing the mods, the best of the best, resale will always be harder than a stocker, most people in the market would probably pass on a heavily modded car, no matter the history in lieu of a bone stock offering. There is just a smaller pool of prospective buyers for a modded car in general, even a ruf. I have no issue modding my own car, and I've done a lot to it, that's the fun of it.
c
Old 12-03-2008, 02:36 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Chuck, I basically agree with you. I think if one is trying to recoupe any funds from modding the car, better sell off the parts seperately.
I agree that a known car, with a known history would be fine to purchase, it's the ebay special -franken cars that I have an issue with buying.
But, keep in mind, even with the top shops doing the mods, the best of the best, resale will always be harder than a stocker, most people in the market would probably pass on a heavily modded car, no matter the history in lieu of a bone stock offering. There is just a smaller pool of prospective buyers for a modded car in general, even a ruf. I have no issue modding my own car, and I've done a lot to it, that's the fun of it.

c
chris-i agree. buying a modded car is a crap shoot. you are much better off getting a lower priced example of a 996tt and carefully modding it yourself. i had an 03 996tt and put 45,000 miles on it-the car was dead reliable. couldn't have been a better car. 996tt with a few miles on it can be had very inexpensively. the best idea would be to pick up one of these sleepers and enjoy modding it out the way you want to, at a good shop.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:54 AM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

So as the Tech that performed the majority of the repairs on this car, maybe I can shine some light on this issue. First off, like speed-demon said, this is not a personal attack on Jackel in any way shape or form; we are just stating the facts about the car. The car is not a Lemon by any stretch of the imagination, if I were to label it a fruit; I would say it is a nice Juicy RED apple that can be a little Tart at times. So to answer some question that may seem more like accusations at times I will do my best. To correct the MAF issue, today I installed a factory airbox, as we all know the EVO unit has a appetite for MAF's, as to why this is?? I have my opinions, and am sure so does everyone else. Perform road test, vehicle performed very well, boosting to approx 1.2-1.3 bar, down from about 1.4-1.5 with the EVO unit. After road test, scan DME control for faults, found fault code P0507, Idle control at stop, upper limit. (this fault is caused when DME attempts to control Idle via E-throttle but is unable due to several factors) As speed-demon is well aware of, this fault can be caused by many, many, many things. Even more-so at altitude!! After consulting with fellow tech and Management, we re-mapped DME back to stock. The latest MAP for the 996tt has a software patch to address to P0507 fault. Allow engine to reach operating temp, monitor idle adaption values (RKAT), found vehicle to be running very lean. Turns out the aftermarket MAP was masking an intake leak, adaption numbers looked ok yet it was still affecting the idle (P0507). Smoke test intake, found intake leak to be small hard vacuum line to have come loose from rubber elbow @ center intake plenum. Correct issue, perform second road test, vehicle now performs close to X50 level, approx 1.0-1.1 bar. Still pretty fast. So in the end we de-tuned the car a little in exchange for some reliability. The MAF issue is now resolved with-out a doubt. How long had the intake leak been present? Hard to say, there was a fair amount of oily residue, so I would guess a while. Now as for the Alternator issue. To say that an Alternator is bad or known to be bad because the car had to be jump started is false. As a car sits for a period of time (car dealer) the battery will slowly discharge. That is why we have battery maintainer's and highly recommend them. The car had been inspected two times if not more before the Alt. failed. As to why the Alt. failed, I would say all the aftermarket audio equipment may have played a role. (Big-big amp, Kenwood head unit with DVD tuner etc. JL Audio sub bumpen in the back. It takes a lot of juice (amps) to make it all go boom-da-boom-boom!! May have over-worked the alternator. As to why the car ran very poorly after the Alt was replaced? That following morning, I found two things, 1st the MAF was dead (1kg @idle) and the bank 2 boost hose from the intercooler to the y-pipe had come loose. How does that happen? We have seen cars with higher output blow out boost hoses at the y-pipe and at the exit of the turbos or inlet of intercoolers. Some cars require a hose clamp in place of the quick dis-connect/connect factory set up. So yeah with a blown boost hose and dead MAF, the engine is not going to be happy at all!! Like others have posted, purchasing a modified 996tt or any sports car/ motorcycle etc, is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get!! Or you may have a good idea what has been done, but the question is, who installed it?, quality of work? etc. So I feel that the stevinson SERVICE department handled this as best as we could given the circumstances. I am 99.9% sure that the car is perfect as of this afternoon and would be a great buy for the right customer. As we all know the car is very good lookin, turns heads left and right. I am not a Tiptronic fan, but I will say that for anyone who has not experienced the beauty of the PDK gearbox, GO DRIVE ONE!!!, (sport plus equipped if possible).The 6th-2nd downshift in milli-seconds are pretty awesome! So is 25mpg plus doing 130mph in 7th gear!! It is probably the coolest and best felling gearbox I have ever felt, with exception to the sequential units in the GT3 cup cars!! So yeah good luck Jackel.... no hard feelings.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:23 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

^^^ This just pisses me off.

Why didn't you guys fix this BEFORE YOU SOLD IT TO JACKEL????

Why did Stevenson sell a car with so many known (clearly the Service Department knows all about these 'bad' mods) issues get sold to a customer?

Once the spit hit the fan you were Johnny on the spot- sounds very impressive... but you weren't willing to do it when Jackel owned it, only when Stevenson owned it, right?

Most of the knowledgeable here know this car isn't a lemon... it is simply a modded car, perhaps poorly chosen with compatibility issues and a used car sales department trying to flip a looser, and sticking the new buyer with costs that they should have borne prior to sale. Stevenson seems more concerned with protecting their current sale, and not concerned with all how they failed to do their job in the first place.

No hard feelings

A

PS So how many amps (juice) does it take to kill the alternator? I just love how factory techs will ALWAYS 'blame the mod'. Heck, I have a Valentine V1 ...will that "mod" be blamed for a failure? Seriously though- you've posted he alternator was "probably" damaged by the aftermarket stereo... did you remove the stereo? Will the next buyer be told that his alternator might be damaged by the mods you left in the car? Do you even know the added load?
Old 12-04-2008, 06:45 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Porsche 52's post is a great example of looking through the big end of the telescope.
Just saying the car is "down from 1.4-1.5" should give anybody the heebie-jeebies. Personally, I would wonder what will let go in the bottom of an engine run at that level.
What individual could possibly track down all those "fixes" on their own charge card? Will it be the modded turbos, or the tightened down diverter? Or did the "very lean condition" damage the pistons?
I guess if the buyer is a Porsche wizard, he might get through all the crap. If the price were $20,000 for the car, it might be worth living with the uncertainty, the expense, the hassle, the frustration. (That ideal person might just be Porsche 52)
From the buyer's perspective, you might wonder why an educated seller might not inform the buyer that the MAF is a known piece of crap, that the boost may well have damaged the connecting rod bolts, that the electrical system cannot keep up with the accessory demands, that flaws in the aftermarket program might continue to cause tricky codes, and you better own a flatbed and towing rig to get the thing back to the dealer when the next aftermarket component failed. Wouldn't it be great to talk to the previous owner of that car? Try 6 speed for that.
Buynig a modded car may be like a box of chocolates- specifically a box in which every piece has been tried and put back, as the original chocolate buyer had lost his appetite for the mix. Or, if fruit is the metaphor, a big red apple with a worm inside. AS
Old 12-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Sad that those issues were not addressed before the car was sold. Could have avoided all the frustration of the new owner. Jackel, I hope you give a 996TT a chance at another time. Great fast cars and very reliable.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:09 AM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok Adam, look, I am not in sales, I did not perform the inspection before the car was sold, yet I am sure that all the visual mods were noted and documented. The car was also inspected by a respected Independent shop in our area "his tech/mechanic" who also gave the car a green light, two thumbs up at the time of purchase. So really there was no problem to fix when the car was sold, no CEL, runs very good, Alternator performing etc. I am just as upset that Jackel was caught up in all this as everyone else. But can you really expect a Car dealer (sales side) to restore every modifyed car to stock configuration. If the faults were present at the time we did our inspection, they would have been addressed. There was history of previous faults, but the only one I know of was caused by a loose hose from the DV's to the y-pipe. Now, when the first MAF blew, we installed a new one on our dime, we also advised the customer that this may continue to happen, could be a week, could year. After that all the other repairs were done at the Independent, " installed 2nd MAF, installed baffle in air track, installed winter tires and wheels. So they were trying to fix the EVO air box over there, if it were at our shop, we would have givin him the option of going back to stock, and I am sure Sales would have helped out in some way, or hell I would have givin him a break on the labor. So its not like were all a bunch of greedy ******** looking to screw pepole, come on!! As to the Alternator, over a period of time, having that much aftermarket audio eqquipemnt may accelerate the failure of the alt. I cannot prove that this is the case but the former and future cusotmer should be made aware of the possible risk. And for your valentine V1, if it is not installed properly and in drains your battery because it never shuts off, yeah I will tell you thats a problem. We condem mods as being part of the failure because they usally are.
Alexander, FYI the car was not running lean enough to "damage pistons" it was running at idle in the shop! And it was a small intake leak. The bottom ends in the turbo, GT3, and GT2 are bullit-proof until you really start pushing them, this car was not even close to that point. The MAF is not a piece of crap, the airbox in witch it was installed may labled as such.

Last edited by porsche52; 12-04-2008 at 11:43 AM.

Quick Reply: New Turbo (Lemon)