Thicker Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Question Thicker Steering Wheel

I am tired of the skinny steering wheel in my car... but since my car has a Graphite Grey interior I am screwed… Porsche would not sell me a thicker steering wheel in that color, Carnewal can’t get it either… and I would like to stay with factory parts for now.. so FVD (even if they made one in grey which I doubt) is out of the question.

And don’t get me started on the seats… same issue. Good luck getting sport seats in Graphite Grey.

I am thinking of just ordering the black thicker steering wheel and using my existing airbag… How bad would a black steering wheel look with a grey airbag and the rest of the interior in grey?
Old 08-06-2008, 04:26 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

Can you buy it in black and get it recovered in graphite grey??
Old 08-06-2008, 04:39 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

why do you want to stay with factory? the fvd wheel comes in lots of options including CF or Al. 340mm and thicker, it is the bomb.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wross996tt
why do you want to stay with factory? the fvd wheel comes in lots of options including CF or Al. 340mm and thicker, it is the bomb.
I saw it in your car but I just can't get used to the look... maybe CF and leather would minimize the look of the black...

I like what you did to your front bumper as well (in addition to the change to GT2), where did you get the mesh from? I would like to protect my radiators as well.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:30 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

For the steering whel I had the red leather airbag custom done....you could do grey. The mesh in the bumper (which is TechArt GTS type 2 BTW, not GT2) was bought separately from HERE, then installed and finished when the bumper was installed.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:29 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jaime...to answere your first questions i think that a black wheel with the grey air bag would not look good at all. i would go for all black wheel and airbag from carnwell, but that might get expensive.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:24 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had my wheel professionally recovered. I had luck with my experience. AGLA. Do a search here and on 6speedonline. Lots to read.

I have natural brown seats and metropol blue carpet (OEM optional variant). The airbag was left brown. I had the wheel done in metro blue with a yellow rally stripe. I love it. Big, ergo grips. Fatter. It has held up well so far (6m only). I suspect if I did it again my stitching would be blue not yellow...the stitching as supposed to look more like the natural brown....my fault. I told him to do it.

But, the FVD/Carnewal option is very, very nice. You cannot lose.

jeff
Old 08-06-2008, 09:50 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the FVD wheel. I love the Daytona wheel and I got it in grey and carbon.

Took 3 months to get, but great service overall.

Plenty of Recaro/Sparco seats that you can get in grey. I wouldn't (and haven't) limited my parts to genuine porsche. Afterall, Recaro makes the GT3 seats.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by seattle_sun
Get the FVD wheel. I love the Daytona wheel and I got it in grey and carbon.

Took 3 months to get, but great service overall.

Plenty of Recaro/Sparco seats that you can get in grey. I wouldn't (and haven't) limited my parts to genuine porsche. Afterall, Recaro makes the GT3 seats.
Wow!! That looks great! Ok... PM me details if you don't want to share them here... 3months wait time... Cost??$$
Old 08-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

So I would need Steering wheel, Steering hub (did you get your in grey leather as well?), what else?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:25 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jaime,

Got the steering hub in grey leather also. That's all you need.

Give FVD a call http://shop.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/-...ringWheel.html. I forgot the gal's name that I dealt with, but she was very helpful.

It wasn't cheap (graphite grey is a special order), but people always comment on how nice the steering wheel is and compared to stock, it is SO much better. You will love it.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by seattle_sun
Jaime,

Got the steering hub in grey leather also. That's all you need.

Give FVD a call http://shop.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/-...ringWheel.html. I forgot the gal's name that I dealt with, but she was very helpful.

It wasn't cheap (graphite grey is a special order), but people always comment on how nice the steering wheel is and compared to stock, it is SO much better. You will love it.
Excellent!! Thank you!
Old 08-07-2008, 12:18 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

that's the ticket!
Old 08-07-2008, 08:50 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the steering wheel is an incredibly cost efficient mod...you hold it all the time...it is the main thing you touch/see save the gauges and the road itself....it is amazing to me the OEM companies don't work harder to do options here......and do a better job. I think Saab and BMW at baseline have done, dollar for dollar, a better job than Porsche.

These cars should come with an FVD style wheel from the factory....just my opinion. The one above is beautiful.

JB
Old 08-07-2008, 11:45 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was the fvd wheel and hub easy to install?? looks awesome!!

Quick Reply: Thicker Steering Wheel