Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 TT stock seats too narrow, too tight ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a quick eBay search and found the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/INFLATABLE-LUMBA...6.c0.m14.l1318

As I recall, I purchased mine from a Rennlister who sold them for around $25. You can slip your hands behind your back seat cushion...one hand from each side. You slide this rubber bladder....about 10 X 8" or so behind the back seat cushion and position it where you want.....then simply pump up the bladder with the squeeze bulb to the desired support. It does what the seats will do and in the same way except that it's low-tech. There are "cheepies" out there that use inferior bulbs and bladders, so do a little homework before buying one.....China stuff floods the market with cheap stuff.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by T2
I use the seat heaters all year round regardless of how warm it is for some back therapy while driving - it's certainly not the end all and do all but does help - the best solution is a nice new set of Recaro's!!! I would suggest trying them out somewhere before buying them.
unfortunately mine doesn't have the butt warmer option but that maybe a future adjunctive option, a set of Recaro's were suggested and looked great in picture, I hope I can try them before ordering.

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
I did a quick eBay search and found the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/INFLATABLE-LUMBA...6.c0.m14.l1318

As I recall, I purchased mine from a Rennlister who sold them for around $25. You can slip your hands behind your back seat cushion...one hand from each side. You slide this rubber bladder....about 10 X 8" or so behind the back seat cushion and position it where you want.....then simply pump up the bladder with the squeeze bulb to the desired support. It does what the seats will do and in the same way except that it's low-tech. There are "cheepies" out there that use inferior bulbs and bladders, so do a little homework before buying one.....China stuff floods the market with cheap stuff.
Thanks for the link CJ, I will look into it.
Sam

Last edited by Sam CS 05; 08-01-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Do you guys remember the '80 sport seat that we had in the 930's.. It was like wearing a kidney belt..

Sam, a suggestion for the broad shoulder guys. I'm smaller than you and shorter than Dock.. But I have broad shoulders and mid-section and purchased a set of Sport seats which have the broader wing back of the seat. It allows you to move around and get better support for you shoulders and mid back. The lumbar is controlled with a pump up bladder.

You can pick up the sport seats for around $1,600 to 2,500.. I think that I paid $1,900 (that includes my freight costs) Oak had a set for sale..
Old 08-01-2008, 05:03 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a set of black sport seats that I'd let go for $1500 plus S/H.
Let me know if interested.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:42 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kevin
Do you guys remember the '80 sport seat that we had in the 930's.. It was like wearing a kidney belt..

Sam, a suggestion for the broad shoulder guys. I'm smaller than you and shorter than Dock.. But I have broad shoulders and mid-section and purchased a set of Sport seats which have the broader wing back of the seat. It allows you to move around and get better support for you shoulders and mid back. The lumbar is controlled with a pump up bladder.

You can pick up the sport seats for around $1,600 to 2,500.. I think that I paid $1,900 (that includes my freight costs) Oak had a set for sale..
Kevin, thanks for the info., I think I will try the air lumbar support for now and then possibly upgrading the seats getting the heat & lumbar support option built in, hopefully I'll be able to try at least couple of different ones before purchasing them.
Sam
Old 08-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jbossolo
I have a set of black sport seats that I'd let go for $1500 plus S/H.
Let me know if interested.
Thank you for the offer, PM sent.
sam
Old 08-04-2008, 10:24 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also found my lower back would get sore after long drives. You can add additional padding behind the center portion of the seat back. I used some dense 1/2" foam cut from a cheap camping bed roll from Walmart (some people have suggested using a computer mouse pad, but I wanted thicker padding). To install the foam you grab hold of the center portion of the backrest and pull up about half an inch and it will flop forward. The center section is held in place at the top with small plastic clips. I cut a tombstone shaped piece of foam slightly smaller than the seat cushion. I then added an additional smaller piece to the lower area of the seat for additional lumbar support. The foam is held in place when you clip the center cushion back in place by reversing the process. Once back together the additional padding cannot be seen. The modification is completely reversible if you find you don’t like the feel of it.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aron in toronto
I also found my lower back would get sore after long drives. You can add additional padding behind the center portion of the seat back. I used some dense 1/2" foam cut from a cheap camping bed roll from Walmart (some people have suggested using a computer mouse pad, but I wanted thicker padding). To install the foam you grab hold of the center portion of the backrest and pull up about half an inch and it will flop forward. The center section is held in place at the top with small plastic clips. I cut a tombstone shaped piece of foam slightly smaller than the seat cushion. I then added an additional smaller piece to the lower area of the seat for additional lumbar support. The foam is held in place when you clip the center cushion back in place by reversing the process. Once back together the additional padding cannot be seen. The modification is completely reversible if you find you don’t like the feel of it.

Thanks Aron,
Yet another practical solution to the problem in hand.
Regards,
Sam
Old 08-10-2008, 02:24 PM
turbolou
Instructor

Smile Reply

My complaint was with the bottom seat cushion being too narrow the fix was simple & cheap.Took it to a local upholstery shop with a good reputation & had him remove the bottom cushion cover & shave a bit off the foam the cover fits back over & conforms nicely & what a world of difference it makes in comfort.One of the things I like about the Porsche is the leg room & with the seat modification My 6"7" 65 year old beat up frame now fits good. BMW's & Mercedes are also seen in his shop quite often with the same complaint. The guy does a lot of custom work & may have a solution to your problem. E-mail me if you want his number to speak to him.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by turbolou
My complaint was with the bottom seat cushion being too narrow the fix was simple & cheap.Took it to a local upholstery shop with a good reputation & had him remove the bottom cushion cover & shave a bit off the foam the cover fits back over & conforms nicely & what a world of difference it makes in comfort.One of the things I like about the Porsche is the leg room & with the seat modification My 6"7" 65 year old beat up frame now fits good. BMW's & Mercedes are also seen in his shop quite often with the same complaint. The guy does a lot of custom work & may have a solution to your problem. E-mail me if you want his number to speak to him.
What you mention can also be a part of my problem, thanks, pm attempted but your preferences are set not to receive PMs.
Sam
Old 08-10-2008, 09:59 PM
turbolou
Instructor

Default Reply

Originally Posted by Sam CS 05
What you mention can also be a part of my problem, thanks, pm attempted but your preferences are set not to receive PMs.
Sam
Sam call this person 949-581-4530 Don Gieson, Or whom ever over there that can help.Tell them Lou's Auto Service refferd you. It may be worth a call. I'm not on here very much & will check into my preferences settings. Good luck Lou
Old 08-10-2008, 11:06 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I am a bit surprised. It would be good to double check the seat settings first. Lots of people tip the seat-back to a more reclined position. This is a mistake, as it forces your back into an abnormal arch. My Porsche gives me no problems, but here is how I set it:
Seat cushion height: all the way down, especially the front all the way down- no rearward tilt in the lower cushion.
Seat back: Nearly upright
Distance from wheel: Adjust the fore-aft distance so that with your arms outstretched, you can rest your wrists on top of the steering wheel comfortably. People think it's cool to be far from the wheel, but again, it forces your back to compromise.
Lastly, there is the anatomy of the driver. As we age, our abdominal muscles soften and our thighs tighten.Collectively, this arches the lower back. Our spine isn't really intended to be the primary structural element of our skeleton, but rather the circumference of abdominal musculature is significant. Daily crunch sit-ups may be the best method of creating a strong tube of muscles that take the strain off your lower back. If you already do this, I apologize, as I don't mean to preach. But, I suffered from the same malady, until I figured it out. If your back is the problem, I don't think seat design is the cause. AS
Old 08-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
I am a bit surprised. It would be good to double check the seat settings first. Lots of people tip the seat-back to a more reclined position. This is a mistake, as it forces your back into an abnormal arch. My Porsche gives me no problems, but here is how I set it:
Seat cushion height: all the way down, especially the front all the way down- no rearward tilt in the lower cushion.
Seat back: Nearly upright
Distance from wheel: Adjust the fore-aft distance so that with your arms outstretched, you can rest your wrists on top of the steering wheel comfortably. People think it's cool to be far from the wheel, but again, it forces your back to compromise.Lastly, there is the anatomy of the driver. As we age, our abdominal muscles soften and our thighs tighten.Collectively, this arches the lower back. Our spine isn't really intended to be the primary structural element of our skeleton, but rather the circumference of abdominal musculature is significant. Daily crunch sit-ups may be the best method of creating a strong tube of muscles that take the strain off your lower back. If you already do this, I apologize, as I don't mean to preach. But, I suffered from the same malady, until I figured it out. If your back is the problem, I don't think seat design is the cause. AS

Alexander,

You do bring up a very valid point. I will try your suggestion for specific seating position, I hope it helps since I enjoy driving my TT so much. My lower back issue is nothing new... so I do exercise (supervised by a pro trainer 2xweek) to strengthen the core muscles. As I said before I think my issue is probably the result of combination factors, therefore I am ready to learn and adjust hopefully for a more comfortable ride.

Having the TT in garage who would want to drive anything else??

thank you for your input.
Sam

Last edited by Sam CS 05; 08-11-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by turbolou
Sam call this person 949-581-4530 Don Gieson, Or whom ever over there that can help.Tell them Lou's Auto Service refferd you. It may be worth a call. I'm not on here very much & will check into my preferences settings. Good luck Lou
Thanks, I will give them a call.
Sam
Old 08-11-2008, 11:40 AM
turbolou
Instructor

I agree with Alexander with back problems proper exercise is important & I too work out with a trainer weekly.The fact that she's a hot blond also helps the attitude lol.. But the seats in my turbo are now tolerable. The ones in the corvette I dumped were even worst. being tall really limits my choices as to what I can drive.

Quick Reply: 996 TT stock seats too narrow, too tight ???