Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 01:42 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool My first DE!

My first DE!!!

First off all, a big Thank You! to Tom Kerr for having the patience of a saint and not kicking me in the behind every time I made a mistake. It was a very intense and fun experience. And I am glad he was there helping me along. He was direct, clear, and had the energy of a thousand coffee drinkers.

Now I know what it is like... wow! It looks a lot easier than when you are behind the wheel... and no where near what I have ever done in the street (even in my younger and stupid years...). Here is a short summary of my experience:

Let's start before beginning the first session. Tom gets in the car (a car that I thought was empty, lol) and starts asking me what is all this stuff I still have left in the car. So out goes the mats, e-pass, garage door opener, cigarette lighter, everything that is in the glove compartment, and everything else that was loose, could make noise, had the potential to distract me while in the track, or get caught anywhere the pedals... A point proven when the schedule that is around my neck tries to escape out the window in one of the sessions where I am a passenger in Tom's car. I now know that I have short legs and long arms... a problem when trying to set the seat to the correct driving position...

The first session was a slow session to start learning the track, the lines, brake points, etc... Tom is super hyper, charged up! He is telling me everything I need to know, pointers, common rookie mistakes, what to do, what not to do, to say that it was an information/sensory overload is an understatement. But he is good, no BS, no slow/quiet Joe... As I listen I was thinking, aim for the trees, check, aim for the water tower, check! "yeah! I can do this... ..easy stuff"

Second session starts... ooohh boy... I was in for a big surprise... Here is a short list of the stupid things I did (yes, I rather get it out in the open before someone else does...):

I could not remember a thing of what Tom told me during the first session...
I even forgot what the flags were for...
Yep, I must have been the first student Tom had to repeatedly remind to SHIFT!
Line? what line!? Well, I sure blew that one!
Brake! Brake! BRAKE!! Are your brakes working!? Are you sure? Because if they are you need to start using them!
I quickly learned why sport seats are soooo great... that whole idea of keeping you in place so your arms and hands do what they are supposed to, steer, instead of help you grab to dear life while turning.
If you think gas in the local pumps is expensive… just go out and buy some 98 fuel at the track…
Turns 15-16... I could probably read a book in the time I took those…
What do you mean I can’t rest my arm in the window?
Did you drink some water? Nah! I am fine.... Water, WATER, I NEED WATER!! (and these were 1/2 hour sessions, I surely have more respect for those that run the 12 hours of Sebring...)

I will stop there out of pure self preservation… all I can say is that it was intense, but by the last two sessions I was having fun.

I can’t wait to do it again.

Here are a few photos:

Now... If I could only find a way to remove these stickers

Last edited by Wachuko; 06-29-2008 at 02:10 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 80 Posts

Congrats Jaime! You're officially addicted now...

Tom is a "hoot" and certainly running on all 6 cyclinders at 1.8 bar all the time!

Mike
Old 06-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Congrats Jaime! You're officially addicted now...

Tom is a "hoot" and certainly running on all 6 cyclinders at 1.8 bar all the time!

Mike
He is! It was great having him talking and telling me over and over what I should be doing. It helped sink in some of the skills. He is a good instructor.

A short clip from the fans watching. My family and friends were cheering (more like screaming their heart out!) everytime I passed.

It was also great to be the only Turbo in the Green group... I got out and quickly moved in front of everyone. That left the track just for me (that is, until we got around the lap and started passing the ones in the back of the group again ).

Last edited by Wachuko; 06-30-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats Jamie. The sensory overload you experienced is exactly the way I felt the first time. You will be pleased to know that the next time you will feel so much more comfortable with your car. It is such a blast and the only way that you can approach the potential of the car. Glad you had Tom as your instructor, wish he were closer to me. Enjoy my friend !
Old 06-29-2008, 12:35 PM
evoviiiyou
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing. And next time use vinyl.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by evoviiiyou
Thanks for sharing. And next time use vinyl.
Those are vinyl... it was late, I was tired, and just did not have the concentration to remove them last night...

I just went out and was able to remove them.

Now, for some TLC to the car... needs a wash and shine, detailing, brake flush, etc.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Congrats Jamie. The sensory overload you experienced is exactly the way I felt the first time. You will be pleased to know that the next time you will feel so much more comfortable with your car. It is such a blast and the only way that you can approach the potential of the car. Glad you had Tom as your instructor, wish he were closer to me. Enjoy my friend !
Thank you! Next one is in August
Old 06-29-2008, 08:33 PM
DublinOh
Instructor

My first DE I remember having tunnel vision...I didn't need to remember what the flags were because I wasn't even seeing the sides of the track LOL. I also remember a high that lasted for about a day...like you had a near death experience. I havn't been to the track for about fifteen years now, but you make it sound like a blast...and +1 for having Tom as an instructor. Was he yelling "don't lift, don't lift!!!" I seem to remember hearing that a lot. Congrats on having a great DE experience.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:15 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like you had a blast Jaime. I really thought about going but I am leaving to Virginia Thursday and had to much to do around here. Maybe I will go to the one in August and there will be 2 Turbos to chase each other around the track The last DE I did was about 10 years ago so I have no clue anymore
How fast did you get it up to in the straights and if you were looking what was your boost running?
Old 06-29-2008, 09:33 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

that looked like a lot of fun jaime...how did the car do. did you do anything special to it before hitting the track? maybe one of these days i'll get the nerve to do it.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by DublinOh
...Was he yelling "don't lift, don't lift!!!" I seem to remember hearing that a lot...
Nope... more like don't pass until they signal you... don't pass, don't pass...
Old 06-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by jimq
Sounds like you had a blast Jaime. I really thought about going but I am leaving to Virginia Thursday and had to much to do around here. Maybe I will go to the one in August and there will be 2 Turbos to chase each other around the track The last DE I did was about 10 years ago so I have no clue anymore
How fast did you get it up to in the straights and if you were looking what was your boost running?
August 2 we have our HS class reunion...

Boost!? You are joking, right? Maybe I will have a chance to see that next time... this time around I was just checking oil pressure and temp. Never once did I look at the boost level.

The fastest I can remember going was 136... I killed my speed with some of the exits in the turns... so much to learn and practice...
Old 06-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by manny_g
that looked like a lot of fun jaime...how did the car do. did you do anything special to it before hitting the track? maybe one of these days i'll get the nerve to do it.
Believe me when I tell you that I know the feeling... took me two years to build the nerve... but it is a blast! And you will never know what your car can do until you do one...
Old 06-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

One more thing I forgot to add... now I laugh at the ads that shows someone selling a car that has not been raced but has done a few DE's... Reminds me of a line "I did not have sex with..."

I drove my car to the max of my capabilities, and in the straights I could hear my accelerator pedal screaming for mercy...

And to be fair, maybe not everyone is driving their cars like I was trying to... But a car that has never been raced but done a few DE's? Unless he (or she) was the car picking up or setting up the cones... well...

A few more photos:

Last edited by Wachuko; 06-30-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:19 PM
chet_964c2
Advanced

That was fun, fun, fun! Glad to have been there to share it with you and your family.

Quick Reply: My first DE!