Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by chet_964c2
That was fun, fun, fun! Glad to have been there to share it with you and your family.
Next time you need to be in the drivers seat... put some track miles in that car of yours
Old 06-30-2008, 05:33 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Another one enters the slippery slope......there is no escape. You'll have a track appliance before you know it.

Remember to always cool down your engine on your last lap, coast into the pits staying off the brake as much as possible, allow the car to idle/cool down and park the car in gear, no brakes. Cooldown is absolutely essential, as is much more frequent oil changes and brake fluid flush/bleed.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by ltc
Another one enters the slippery slope......there is no escape. You'll have a track appliance before you know it.

Remember to always cool down your engine on your last lap, coast into the pits staying off the brake as much as possible, allow the car to idle/cool down and park the car in gear, no brakes. Cooldown is absolutely essential, as is much more frequent oil changes and brake fluid flush/bleed.
Thank you! We did. Everytime we ended a session we would take the car around the back of the stands (a long straight) and back. Then it sat in the pit on for 5 minutes before I turned it off.

The hard part was getting use to NOT using the e-brake... ...I manage to remember.

And yes, I will take the car back to get the aligment back for normal street driving and get an engine oil change (and tranny oil change) while in there.

The brake flush I will do at home. I have some ATE Gold and will make sure I use Castrol for the next DE.

Brakes held on well (which means that I was probably not pushing the car hard enough )

I really would like a better pedal set (for easier h/t), seats, and suspension... seats and pedals first... ooohhh boy, here we go!
Old 06-30-2008, 05:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
The brake flush I will do at home. I have some ATE Gold and will make sure I use Castrol for the next DE.
Castrol SRF

Brakes held on well (which means that I was probably not pushing the car hard enough )
They're very good brakes, the fluid is usually the limiting factor.
Upgrading the brake ducts (simply DIY) helps.
Also, make sure you have close to new pads each time out (the 996TT is a heavy fast car), when they get close to 50%, get rid of them.
Some people have tried Titanium heat shields/shims behind the pads to reduce heat transfer to the caliper/fluid...forget the company that sells them.

I really would like a better pedal set (for easier h/t), seats, and suspension... seats and pedals first... ooohhh boy, here we go!
There is a definite point whereby the compromise becomes a safety issue, on track or on street.
Money aside, you eventually reach the point where a dedicated track appliance makes sense.......the "honey, I meant to tell you about the Cup car in the garage" moment.

I am a huge advocate of the first modifications being safety related (H&N restraint first and foremost, seats/harnesses designed for the H&N along with rollbar/rollcage, fire system and kill switch).....suspension is next, followed by brakes and nothing with the engine.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Castrol SRF

They're very good brakes, the fluid is usually the limiting factor.
Upgrading the brake ducts (simply DIY) helps.
Also, make sure you have close to new pads each time out (the 996TT is a heavy fast car), when they get close to 50%, get rid of them.
Some people have tried Titanium heat shields/shims behind the pads to reduce heat transfer to the caliper/fluid...forget the company that sells them.

There is a definite point whereby the compromise becomes a safety issue, on track or on street.
Money aside, you eventually reach the point where a dedicated track appliance makes sense.......the "honey, I meant to tell you about the Cup car in the garage" moment.

I am a huge advocate of the first modifications being safety related (H&N restraint first and foremost, seats/harnesses designed for the H&N along with rollbar/rollcage, fire system and kill switch).....suspension is next, followed by brakes and nothing with the engine.
+1
safety equipment...... then seat time.
Now you get to experience that car the way it was ment to be driven.
Another track junkie in the making ...don't you love it !!

Elliot
Old 06-30-2008, 11:53 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jaime, I must admit I had every bit as much fun as you did!!! You were a great, enthusiastic, student,
and the reason and reward for one who becomes an instructor.
There is nothing more exciting for an instructor than an excited pumped up student who wants to learn and know everything and wants to strive to improve and do their best.
You were a great but very typical "first timer" and were great to instruct. Although there was alot to learn you responded well and handled a 420hp car in a high speed DE very calmly and smoothly. In case you didnt notice we did pass everyone in the green group and some multiple times. That means skill my friend not just a fast car. My student the second day was in a Mazda and we passed a Vette and new TT several times, so its not the car but the driver.

Keep thinking about what we said, study the tapes and vids and books and notes and get back to the track ASAP!!

Thank you for letting me instruct you, it was a great pleasure.

tom

Quick Reply: My first DE!