Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:30 PM
awsum1ed
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Navigation System

What type of aftermarket nav system do you guys recommend? I'm looking for a ipod/bluetooth/sirus integrated with the system. The stock navigation seems to be limited with the options i'm looking for. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You should be able to integrate iPod input, Bluetooth and Satellite radio by means of mObridge or Dension for the first 2 and the Porsche OEM satellite radio kit (previously discussed).....in case you were happy with the current PCM for NAV and vehicle controls.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:28 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pioneer and Kenwood make some nice units that are made to fit. Check them out. Probably have the blue-tooth, ipod, Sirius capabilities you are looking for.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:31 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with a Kenwood DDX7100 it has : Nav, DVD, Hands free Blue tooth, AM/FM,rear camera ,USB,full touch screen Ipod controls including video and XM/Sirius.I cant tell you how much i love this unit, It looks great in the cabin and it works flawlessly.Here is a pic!
Attached Images  
Old 06-19-2008, 12:02 AM
Freier
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

kilrgt, great looking interior. Did you change out the speakers / amps as well, or just the head unit?

Thanks!
freier
Old 06-19-2008, 12:27 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I changed out everything, the car is a 2004 so the MOST system had to be by passed. I went with full MB Quart Front and rear, and in my Factory High End Bose sub box I went with a Focal 6.5" Sub.To power everything I use a JL audio 6 Channel amp. Honestly with all the mods I have done over the years to various cars this one has been the most enjoyable.Thanks for the compliments
Old 06-19-2008, 01:31 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
You should be able to integrate iPod input, Bluetooth and Satellite radio by means of mObridge or Dension for the first 2 and the Porsche OEM satellite radio kit (previously discussed).....in case you were happy with the current PCM for NAV and vehicle controls.
I'm getting conflicting reports on the mobridge (and Dnesion) working on the 2003/2004/2005 996 PCM 2.0 and 2.1 units. None of thes4 have 'telephone buttons'. Mobridge says it works on "all porsches after 2003" but also says they need to have a telehone button to use the telephone BT interface.... l
Old 06-30-2008, 01:01 AM
mObridge
Former Vendor

Thumbs up Compatibility

Originally Posted by adam_
I'm getting conflicting reports on the mobridge (and Dnesion) working on the 2003/2004/2005 996 PCM 2.0 and 2.1 units. None of thes4 have 'telephone buttons'. Mobridge says it works on "all porsches after 2003" but also says they need to have a telehone button to use the telephone BT interface.... l
Hi Adam -

mObridge Audio (iPod & Aux-input integration), yes, is compatible in all Porsche vehicles 2003 to 2008, any PCM or CDR.

Regarding mObridge Bluetooth (iPod + Aux-In + Bluetooth combo unit), the actual story here is that verbiage was written from the perspective of world market, mObridge Bluetooth compatibility in 2003 to 2008 PCM cars. Really we should update that, but until then, for the record & clarification ...

In the U.S. and other markets, particularly 2003 to 2005, the PCM isn't necessarily always the type that has the telephone functionality exposed (best indication is it has telephone pickup/hangup buttons on the left side of the PCM but some "world market" PCMs also have the tray for GSM SIM card that would be used with the factory built-in phone option.

If your 2003 to 2005 U.S. PCM does not have these pickup/hangup buttons then it is obviously not the type that supports/exposes telephone functions.

As we work on solutions for more cars and system types, the U.S. non-telephone PCM as well as CDR23/24 will be an area that we will evaluate expanding to in the future provided suitable interfaces can be provided (e.g., case of CDR23/24, voice command capabilities would be key since the CDR doesn't have any telephone functionality other than simple telephone mute).

For those that are REALLY itching to get a factory headunit in there that supports telephone, the telephone-capable PCMs can be had. Euro-Customs on eBay sometimes has them and I believe Perzan Auto Radio in Upper Darby, PA can also order them from Becker for you. That's also a workable option for cars that were originally equipped with CDR23/24 if you want to make an upgrade to PCM.

Hope this makes sense.

mObridge Support
Old 06-30-2008, 02:49 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mObridge
Hi Adam -

mObridge Audio (iPod & Aux-input integration), yes, is compatible in all Porsche vehicles 2003 to 2008, any PCM or CDR.

Regarding mObridge Bluetooth (iPod + Aux-In + Bluetooth combo unit), the actual story here is that verbiage was written from the perspective of world market, mObridge Bluetooth compatibility in 2003 to 2008 PCM cars. Really we should update that, but until then, for the record & clarification ...

In the U.S. and other markets, particularly 2003 to 2005, the PCM isn't necessarily always the type that has the telephone functionality exposed (best indication is it has telephone pickup/hangup buttons on the left side of the PCM but some "world market" PCMs also have the tray for GSM SIM card that would be used with the factory built-in phone option.

If your 2003 to 2005 U.S. PCM does not have these pickup/hangup buttons then it is obviously not the type that supports/exposes telephone functions.

As we work on solutions for more cars and system types, the U.S. non-telephone PCM as well as CDR23/24 will be an area that we will evaluate expanding to in the future provided suitable interfaces can be provided (e.g., case of CDR23/24, voice command capabilities would be key since the CDR doesn't have any telephone functionality other than simple telephone mute).

Hope this makes sense.

mObridge Support

I have NEVER seen nor heard of any US PCM in 2003 nor 2004 996TT that had telephone buttons.

There is no such part in the US, according to Porsche.

There are no reports anywhere of a 2003 or 2004 PCM having telephone capability... I've looked. You can't even add option 666 which is the GSM phone .

Perhaps it was a European or ROW part, but clearly never delivered on a USA car.

Given this fact, it has always been confusing for mobridge to claim their unit is compatible with 2004 996s, then add a qualifier that 'you need a telephone button'.... when there never was any US car with a telephone button.

Notwithstanding the "world perspective"....

Thanks for the reply here. No reply to my other inquiries... I appreciate your offer to continue to consider adding this as a solution.

A

PS Given the nav performance on these Porsche units, I've come the the conclusion that the best solution is to go to a total replacement with a modern, DVD based system where you can actually get up to date maps! Oh, and stable sirius, BT and ipod integration...
Old 06-30-2008, 12:35 PM
mObridge
Former Vendor

Default aftermarket & PCM telephone

Originally Posted by adam_
I have NEVER seen nor heard of any US PCM in 2003 nor 2004 996TT that had telephone buttons.

There is no such part in the US, according to Porsche.

There are no reports anywhere of a 2003 or 2004 PCM having telephone capability... I've looked. You can't even add option 666 which is the GSM phone .

Perhaps it was a European or ROW part, but clearly never delivered on a USA car.

Given this fact, it has always been confusing for mobridge to claim their unit is compatible with 2004 996s, then add a qualifier that 'you need a telephone button'.... when there never was any US car with a telephone button.

Notwithstanding the "world perspective"....

Thanks for the reply here. No reply to my other inquiries... I appreciate your offer to continue to consider adding this as a solution.

A

PS Given the nav performance on these Porsche units, I've come the the conclusion that the best solution is to go to a total replacement with a modern, DVD based system where you can actually get up to date maps! Oh, and stable sirius, BT and ipod integration...
Hi Adam,

You may be right about Porsche never officially offering U.S. PCM with telephone functionality that wasn't option 666 GSM. Whether or not it is official, where the PCM came from, or with what options ordered, guess really isn't of any relevance to us, but we have sold a number of units to 2003-2004 PCM customers in the U.S.

Perhaps some dealers are more skillful than others (or helpful, as is more likely the case) in getting special options such as the GSM phone system. I have heard that it's possible to order nearly anything custom on a Porsche (of course save factory [truly integrated] iPod and Bluetooth from 2003 to 2008!!!), including as you probably know paint matched to the color of your wife's nail polish, if you so desired.

I know for _me_ personally, colleagues and many friends and people we talk with that aftermarket simply is not an option. For some people it works. But I am 100% sure that a lot of us would not touch (buy) a vehicle that's had its PCM or CDR taken out and replaced with aftermarket. We believe that you may find some buyers that don't mind, but probably the scales weigh in the direction that it actually reduces resale value of the car unless perhaps the componentry is super-high-end, like Audison amps, Focal loudspeakers and such. Even then the stuff gets (at least appearance of being) obsolete and then at some point the originality of the factory pieces becomes more appealing. This is all opinion of course, but opinion from being in the German car business, sales / service and electronics and observing these trends now for 20 years. Then you can always of course take the stance that it's a "do it for me" thing rather than the next owner which is valid.

In addition to iPod and Bluetooth, we've showed prototypes of our Pre-amp out (directly off the optical) for adding aftermarket amps and speakers in a way that would be both more optimal in terms of sound quality and less invasive / altering to the car. We don't have a release date on such a product but given enough pull from our dealers I'm sure you'll see something come of that sooner or later. At least furthermore addressing some of the element of performance concerns with the factory system.

Anyway sorry for the confusion on the U.S. PCM telephone stuff but hopefully the confusion is at ease.

Best,
Scott
mObridge
Old 07-01-2008, 04:50 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mObridge
Hi Adam,

You may be right about Porsche never officially offering U.S. PCM with telephone functionality that wasn't option 666 GSM. Whether or not it is official, where the PCM came from, or with what options ordered, guess really isn't of any relevance to us, but we have sold a number of units to 2003-2004 PCM customers in the U.S.

Perhaps some dealers are more skillful than others (or helpful, as is more likely the case) in getting special options such as the GSM phone system. I have heard that it's possible to order nearly anything custom on a Porsche (of course save factory [truly integrated] iPod and Bluetooth from 2003 to 2008!!!), including as you probably know paint matched to the color of your wife's nail polish, if you so desired.

I know for _me_ personally, colleagues and many friends and people we talk with that aftermarket simply is not an option. For some people it works. But I am 100% sure that a lot of us would not touch (buy) a vehicle that's had its PCM or CDR taken out and replaced with aftermarket. We believe that you may find some buyers that don't mind, but probably the scales weigh in the direction that it actually reduces resale value of the car unless perhaps the componentry is super-high-end, like Audison amps, Focal loudspeakers and such. Even then the stuff gets (at least appearance of being) obsolete and then at some point the originality of the factory pieces becomes more appealing. This is all opinion of course, but opinion from being in the German car business, sales / service and electronics and observing these trends now for 20 years. Then you can always of course take the stance that it's a "do it for me" thing rather than the next owner which is valid.

In addition to iPod and Bluetooth, we've showed prototypes of our Pre-amp out (directly off the optical) for adding aftermarket amps and speakers in a way that would be both more optimal in terms of sound quality and less invasive / altering to the car. We don't have a release date on such a product but given enough pull from our dealers I'm sure you'll see something come of that sooner or later. At least furthermore addressing some of the element of performance concerns with the factory system.

Anyway sorry for the confusion on the U.S. PCM telephone stuff but hopefully the confusion is at ease.

Best,
Scott
mObridge
1. If Porsche did not make a PCM2.1 nav head with a telephone button and CDs how would you special order it?

I know you've sold a few- there are boards where they are trying, unsuccessfully, to get it to work in their 2003/2004 cars... reprogramming at the dealers for european use with pwis, etc...seems to no avail

If you know of ANYONE with a 2004 with a PCM with a telephone button, please confirm. I'd ask to get in touch with them, but at this point just knowing one exists is enough.

2. Stock is nice. Unfortunately the 2003-2004 Porsche navigation system truly sucks. This isn't a minor quibble about the user interface or 3D perspective views.... Massive sections of the country are unmapped, POIs are 5+ years old, etc. Sure, I want a "real Porsche" unit, not aftermarket, but at some point one is just being stupid about maintaining a white elephant. It is an embarrassment.

Of course your business model relies on this desire, and pointing out resale value is smart too. You'll find vast differences of opinion in different forums...rennlist much more in line with your comments.

Another option is to buy a DVD based porsche nav and try to get that working in the 2004996TT... no data on how that might work. And again, you are stuck with buying mobridge AND it isn't a stock configuration. At least the maps are 2007.

The quest continues..... Looking at an alpine NVE872A, IWA205, Audison amp, FOcal speakers, custom Sub. A fine summer project. And, if I keep the old parts I can always return it to stock (gasp!)

Best

Adam

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Navigation System