Sponsored by:

Front lip spoiler installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 11:40 PM
badger15
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front lip spoiler installation

Has anyone installed the front spoiler on their 996tt? My car did not come with one and I just got mine in the mail. It looks like the spoiler clips in, but I do not know where? Looking under the car it would seem I have to take off the plastic shield but when I removed the screws I could see, it still felt tucked tightly in the front bumper.

What do I need to take off to get to where I can clip this front lip in? Thanks a lot for your thoughts/instruction!
Old 06-24-2008, 11:59 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Here you go:

Old 06-25-2008, 01:10 AM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Basically you take the 2 screws out of the fender wells (one on each side). Then you tug on the front of the lip kinda of out and down at the same time. It will peel right out once you get it going. Takes 5 minutes tops once you get over the fear factor of yanking on the thing.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:54 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your description doesn't sound right....the spoiler lip just has a series of tabs that fit into slots that go along the underside of the front of the car. There are only two screws on either side in the wheel well that go into the very ends of the spoiler lip. The lip I just replaced my factory one with was the FVD brand...made out of the sort of rubberized plastic that's a lot more forgiving than the factory aero that's painted to match. No matter how careful you are, you'll end up scuffing it up...so I went to the standard black one (around $275 as opposed to the factory $800)and just replace it when it gets too scuffed up.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:58 AM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What doesn't sound right Chuck? You and I described the same thing I think??

I don't know about any of the aftermarket items. I replaced my stock one with a new stock one and what I described above is exactly how it went.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:08 PM
rwilliamtaylor
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It just snaps in place, then two screws in the wheel wells. I've replaced mine twice once with stock and once with aftermarket,
Old 06-25-2008, 12:34 PM
rwilliamtaylor
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Your description doesn't sound right....the spoiler lip just has a series of tabs that fit into slots that go along the underside of the front of the car. There are only two screws on either side in the wheel well that go into the very ends of the spoiler lip. The lip I just replaced my factory one with was the FVD brand...made out of the sort of rubberized plastic that's a lot more forgiving than the factory aero that's painted to match. No matter how careful you are, you'll end up scuffing it up...so I went to the standard black one (around $275 as opposed to the factory $800)and just replace it when it gets too scuffed up.
Where did you find a replacement for the factory Aero Kit Lip Spoiler fro $800.

Do you have a picture of the FVD one? I just replaced mine... AGAIN with one from Xtreme motorsports for $395. This ones a bit different for a change.
Attached Images   
Old 06-25-2008, 02:06 PM
badger15
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I am not replacing mine, because my car does not have one on right now. So, just to make sure I am understanding what you are saying...Remove the screws in the fenders and the spoiler should snap right in? I dont need to remove the plastic shield on the bottom of the car at all?
Old 06-25-2008, 02:30 PM
rwilliamtaylor
Advanced

Originally Posted by badger15
Thanks for the responses guys. I am not replacing mine, because my car does not have one on right now. So, just to make sure I am understanding what you are saying...Remove the screws in the fenders and the spoiler should snap right in? I dont need to remove the plastic shield on the bottom of the car at all?
Correct, You do not have to remove the plastic shield... just snap it on.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:20 PM
badger15
Rennlist Member

Worked great. I know it might be a pain to keep nice, but I love the look of the factory lip. Very happy to have it on. Thanks for your instruction!
Old 06-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Freier
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Chuck, by chance do you have any photos with the FVD lip. I'm almost ready to replace my stocker and looking for alternatives.

Thx!
Old 06-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Slant: I was talking about Badger's explanation of what he was trying to do..it was confusing to me...yes, you and I were on the same page...said the same thing.

Frier...I'll try to find the link to the FVD one....but I bought mine from ....I believe it was Suncoast....then I found out that Sunset Imports in Oregon had it cheaper. Give Jeff Clark a call...do a Google search for Sunset Porsche...and I'll try to find the link to the FVD one and post it in a followup entry.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Ok: Here's the followup. I found the FVD front lip at the following URL:

http://shop.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/9...poiler&x=4&y=1

I also found my original email to a fellow named Raymond Poon who was selling a CF front spoiler that was a carbon copy of the OEM...he wanted $800 and if you send me your email address I can forward his email with the pictures of the spoiler. I don't know how to attach the pictures to this forum. His email address was:

Raymondpoon@hotmail.com.....you can try contacting him directly for the CF spoilers....they looked pretty nice to me...but again, I know it's just a matter of time till I chingered up the $800 one so I decided to go with the cheaper one and just replace it every once in a while.

Let me know if I can chase down any more info for you...but truly...give Sunset a call after you see the FVD picture in the URL link.

Good hunting....Chuck
Old 06-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Freier
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks for the link Chuck!
Old 06-28-2008, 09:47 AM
maxwell
Racer

The factory turbo lip is around $300 from any dealer, so Im not sure if the FVD one is a good deal at $350. The $800 lip that AWE, Ray and others sell are replicas of the Aerokit front lip spoiler, which is around $950 from the dealer.

Quick Reply: Front lip spoiler installation