Sponsored by:

DIY Sirius Radio Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 03:52 PM
911TTCAB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the help guys.

I have discovered that the label on the wiring diagram for the - Optional Auxiliary Audio Input is incorrect and it is actually an OUTPUT according to the Streamer manual. Thanks to kunkstyle for questioning that connection.

Of course, I would rather use the Audio Output instead of the modulator. Is there an audio input I can use on the PCM? I have a 6 CD Changer already installed so I cannot use that connection and anyway I hear that is a fiber connection. How are iPods being connected?
Old 06-04-2008, 05:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 911TTCAB
Of course, I would rather use the Audio Output instead of the modulator. Is there an audio input I can use on the PCM? I have a 6 CD Changer already installed so I cannot use that connection and anyway I hear that is a fiber connection. How are iPods being connected?
The PCM acts as MOST bus master, so all infotainment content is passed digitally via the plastic optical fiber from PCM (headunit) to amplfier to CDChanger and back to PCM.

There is no "analog" or "aux" input to the PCM, again since it was designed from the outset for MOST only (all MY03+ cars are MOST and it will be around thru 2012 at this point)

Rather than go with a hardwired FM modulator (as you've shown) which will be somewhat limited by the SNR of the FM tuner (not the best BTW), you could simply contact Eric at www.bumperplugs.com and install a Dension unit, which would integrate directly into the MOST ring and allow you to have the iPod and your satellite tuner (via the AUX input on the Dension unit) connected and controlled thru the PCM.
It's been done on all the MY03+ vehicles (Carrera/Boxster/Cayman and Cayenne).

There is another option, which would be to simply add the Porsche OEM satellite radio kit (there was a very very long thread in the 997 forum titled "I've got Satellite Radio in my cab...or something like that) where it was disclosed (no names please) that the Cayenne SAT radio kit works in the Carreras and Boxsters (no, don't ask how someone would know that when Porsche would say no.....let's just say that the designer of the system also owns Porshces). Works perfectly and is completely OEM with no changes necessary to add external receivers, etc.....

Good luck, this message will self destruct in 5 seconds.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:50 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

There is another option, which would be to simply add the Porsche OEM satellite radio kit (there was a very very long thread in the 997 forum titled "I've got Satellite Radio in my cab...or something like that) where it was disclosed (no names please) that the Cayenne SAT radio kit works in the Carreras and Boxsters (no, don't ask how someone would know that when Porsche would say no.....let's just say that the designer of the system also owns Porshces). Works perfectly and is completely OEM with no changes necessary to add external receivers, etc.....
This is the best install...unfortunately you'll need a medic standing by when you price this!

A

PS Stephen at Imagine Auto has an install posted on his website if I recall..perhaps: http://www.turbo911.com/showthread.php?t=354
Old 06-04-2008, 11:11 PM
911TTCAB
Racer

Thanks for the info ltc. I am learning something new about this car everyday!

So the Audio output connection is out unless I want to pay some bucks to get the Dension unit or get a Cayenne SAT Unit and rig it into the PCM. It would be great to have but I am not an audiophile and besides, I drive a CAB where top down music is pretty low quality anyway no matter what you have installed. I think at this time, I do not want to pay for added expense of a conversion unit. So my options are modulator unit or FM frequency.

Thanks adam for the link. That looks like an entirely different unit but has good info on removing the plastic windshield cowling for the new antenna placement.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:33 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It sounds like your best option would be a hardwired (direct) FM modulator (inline with antenna).
Much better than any FM transmitter for 'fidelity'. Simple installation, completely reversible.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:59 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911TTCAB
Thanks adam for the link. That looks like an entirely different unit but has good info on removing the plastic windshield cowling for the new antenna placement.
yes, it is a newer head unit, but I am pretty sure you (and I) are running pcm2.1 on our 2004MOST head units.

Still, crazy money for Sirius...and the nav will still suck

A
Old 06-06-2008, 04:14 PM
911TTCAB
Racer

Default Bracket Update

Here is another update....completed dash plate mounting with radio.

First I have to apologize for the crappy pictures. I forgot my Canon camera at home and had to use my phone camera instead.

Ok. First I was able to remove my CD holder using the method that kunkstyle mentioned and amazingly it came right out with some force. I started to do it manny's way but i met a lot of resitance at pulling the side leather peices off so I stopped and did it the other way.

I took the CD holder and matched it with the Sirius plate. Good match but, I need to do some modifcations.

1) Like I mentioned before, the corners have a radius on the stock plate. To add a radius to the Sirius plate corners, I placed the 2 plates together, etched the area I need to cut, and took a utility knife and cut the corners.

2) If you take the stock plate the way it is now and place it in the dash opening, you will see it fits very well but goes too far back. I took a look at the stock plate and it has a shoulder the the plate rests on in the dash that we will need to add to the stock plate. I had some 1/16" PVC sheet laying around (I do alot of prototyping at work! I probably bought this online from McMaster Carr or you might find something like this at Lowes. It just needs to be 1/6" thick or thinner to not interferre with the opening) and cut 3/8" width strips. I then took the strips and cut them to length to fit around the bracket ledge as shown below.

I then took some cheap plumbers ABS piping adheisive (from any hardware store) and glued the peices on the bracket. I placed a rubber band around them to keep it together while it dries.

After an hour or two of drieing, I took off the rubber band and installed the radio in the bracket. It snapped right in. I then went out to the car and did a trial fit and it works and looks great! Now, there is nothing holding it in place except the weight of the radio and the dash opening. I drove home with it in and it did not move. There are several ways to secure it in place but I am not going to do it till the electrical part is done.

Hey, no cracks about my fine grain wood!

Now to the electrical part. Anybody know if you can reach the antenea cable in back of the PCM without pulling the PCM? I still need to get the antennea adaptor(s) at Crutchfield (have a local store which is good).

Also power...where is the phone tap? I can search around with my multimeter to find the lighter power but if there is and eaiser way let me know.

I hope to work on this during the weekend if I don't sweat to death in the 100 degree heat!

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2008, 05:12 PM
911TTCAB
Racer

Default Gone Wireless

First of all I would like to say it was hot as hell this weekend. Not fun doing this sweating your butt off. What happen to spring????? Anyway, I made some progress this weekend.

The antenna under the plastic trim for the windshield is a no-go for me. Someone mentioned they cut a hole in a rubber plug (that is in the firewall behind the battery), then passed the wire through it and mounted the antenna under the trim. I did find the rubber plug but behind the battery but I am not cutting or drilling anything no matter how hidden it is. I want this car to go back 100% when and if I need to. So going to Plan B.

I mounted the Sirius antenna in the right hand corner of the dash and ran the wire between trim sections. Very is to do and not that big of a deal to look at. After driving to work, I actually now think it would be best on the left side if you have trees around the roads like I do. Sometimes they interfere with the signal and the closer you are to the centerline of the road, the less tree coverage. I may change that later.

On to the power....which was easy.

I decided to once again go with the non-destructive method of taping the power. I had the fuse tap from another another project (another car) and made the wiring assembly below to tap the fuse box power. Since I do not have heated seats and it was located at the top of the fuse box, I used that one slot.

I routed the wire through an opening in the box and behind the box as shown below. (you can barley see the red wire at the top)

I found an easy ground close to the fuse box. I had to remove the 4 screws holding the trim for the fuse box to reach the area. I used a I assembled the hardware and slid it into place. I had a K-lock nut on the other side so it was easy to tighten.

Reassembled everything and look....no UGLY wires!

Next FM modulator....

Can anyone tell me how to remove my PCM so I can get to the antenna? Thanks!
Old 12-24-2008, 02:05 PM
hpostik
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a great thread, been looking for 2 days on a way to do what you described in this post. Believe it or not, the hardest part to get was the receiver, go figure. Quick Question, how did you finally get the plate to securely stay in place?

Thanks Again, you saved me so much time in research.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:46 AM
forrestkhaag
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doe anyone know if a Sirius Edge can be hard-wired for power without the use of the cigarette lighter? And is there a an auxiliary input jack on the back of the stock head unit in my 96 993 for signal input? I am looking for an installation of the Sirius Edge that is as clean as possible and minimizes the aftermarket add-on look. Thanks for the potential for input.

Quick Reply: DIY Sirius Radio Installation