Sponsored by:

DIY Sirius Radio Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 PM
911TTCAB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY Sirius Radio Installation

OK, I can not take my old CDs and the bad radio in my area any more!!! I had Sirius radio in my BMW for 3 years and I absolutely love it. I even listen to it at work on the computer. Once you have it, you can't go back!

The same week I got my first p-car, my wife wrecked the BMW (now hers). Actually, it was not her fault. Some idiot did not see the school bus stopped and rear ended her. Anyway, I should get the car back from the shop within a week with the Sirius radio for my car. She has her own radio from her old car that she uses in the rental now. That radio will go in the BMW.

OK, here is the project. I plan to do a DIY Sirius Radio Installation (Pro type - in dash, no external wires) within the next 2 weeks and post it here with pictures and all. I ordered some parts yesterday and they should be here in a week.

Take a look at this picture. This is what I want to do.

Yes, I want to replace the (not used) CD storage bin in the dash. I am not using the same radio. I have a Sirius Streamer GTR which is about 3 years old but works great. Another reason to use this radio is that Sirius actually makes an in dash/direct wire installation kit for this radio. Found it and bought it here on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=008

Now the question you all are asking...will it fit the same opening in the dash? I don't know but if it is too big I can trim it...if it too small...well...I can use it as a template and make my own to fit. Either way, it is well worth the $11.00!

Now the questions I hope you can help me with...

1) How easy is it to remove the in dash CD storage panel? It probably is a snap-in but I have not tried to remove it. I want to remove it in a non-destructive way. Has anybody removed it before?
2) 12 VDC power source. I was planning on tapping the cig. lighter power for that. Should be easy enough. Any thoughts/tips on this?
3) Direct wire input - I have not done this and I am not sure how this is even done until I get the kit. Any experience doing this out there?
4) Bought a hi-gain Sirius antenna too. I have read posts about placing it under the plastic panel in front of the windshield but do not know how to get there from under the dash. Any tips?

Any other helpful tips would be appreciative!

More later...
Old 05-28-2008, 11:10 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Looks like a fun project:

1. Yes it comes right out. I have removed the individual cd trays as well all easy.
2. I would use the phone tap (see renntech.org)
3. uh no
4. not sure what it looks like...can it be put in the "A" pillar?
Old 05-28-2008, 11:30 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice picture...of my car ?!?!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:42 AM
kunkstyle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on doing something similar, looking forward to see how yours turns out.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:30 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Will that setup work with the MOST system we have?
Old 05-29-2008, 03:06 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

I think you will find that there is no way to directly wire an input.

THe link you gave requires you to tune the Porsche radio to an FM frequency, then the sirius signal is 'directly injected' as an FM signal.

I know what you mean about the sirius- have it in the M5, and hate the nav/audio in the 996TT....
Old 05-29-2008, 08:27 AM
911TTCAB
Racer

Yes Yves, this picture is from that super nice speed yellow TT Cab you were looking at on eBay. It doesn't look like it sold?
Old 05-29-2008, 08:50 AM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought it.
Will arrive tomorrow or Saturday
More than willing to research your question on the sound system.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:16 AM
911TTCAB
Racer

Wow, congratulations! That is one super sharp TTCAB! I don't know how you can sleep waiting for that car.

Thanks for the help on the Sirius Radio. Nothing like having information from the source!
Old 05-29-2008, 10:09 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

911ttcab...does your satellite have the antena and power connections on the left side of the radio?? my sirrius radio looks very much like yours and i am interested in this kit as well. mine has the replay function that records up to 40 minutes of playback. i am hooked on the satellite radio as well. just for you info. i went to a sound advice shop near where i work and they can connect the satellite to the factory radio with a fm modulator and that works real well. i had it installed that way on my previous c4s. currently i have the wireless setup but the reception is not that good.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:59 PM
911TTCAB
Racer

Hi manny

Yes the connectors are on the left side. It has a black face and says Streamer GTR on the right. Yeah, the hard wire fm modulator is a big ? for me. I hope the documntation with the kit clears it up.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:16 PM
kunkstyle
Racer

@manny - Sounds like you've got the Sportster Replay.

I found a kit for it here http://www.siriusoutlet.com/prokit.htm which fits both the streamer and the replay.

Looks like the same as the one on ebay.

Last edited by kunkstyle; 05-30-2008 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:46 PM
911TTCAB
Racer

Default The parts have arrived!

OK, I finally got the parts today.

Here is what I have now:

The kit came with everything shown except the Sirius Hi-gain antenna which I bought on eBay for less than $10.

Note the antenna connection unit in the upper left. It is a simple disconnect your existing antenna, connect it to the relay box, and connect the new antenna connector to the PCM. Of course, the other end goes into the Sirius radio (more on that later). Question...does the Porsche antenna connector look like that????? I think it is a "standard" antenna connector but I am not sure what would be standard to Porsche.

The power interface cable shown below looks harmless enough. It comes with an inline fuse holder and fuse. I need to find the phone tap that wross996tt mentioned above. I still have to look for it.

The great news is the in-dash plate looks almost perfect for a swap with the CD holder dash plate! The dimensions are the same except the Sirius plate has 90 degree corners and the CD holder plate has small radius corners. No biggie to fix.

Now, I still don't know how this plate will attach (securely) to the CD holder opening. How do you remove this holder? I know wross996tt says it is easy but how do you do it and do you need tools????

On to the wiring....

I have confirmed that my Sirius Streamer GTR has these connections shown. The diagram is simple enough. I am not sure what the AUX Audio Input Jacks would be for?? The cable has (2) RCA male connectors. Since it is an "input", I would think it is an alternative to the radio relay connection?? I am not sure and have to read the manual (at work) for more info.

Over in the 996 forum, someone said they feed the antenna cable from under the plastic piece (where the wipers are) and through a hole on the drivers side and then to the radio. I have yet to confirm this. More on this later.

Well, that is the latest update. Any help with the questions would be a great help to all! Thanks!
Old 06-03-2008, 10:11 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

the only question i can help you is with the removal of the cd tray. remove the two leather trim pieces on each side. simply grab the trim piece from the rear and gently push outward. they are held in place by small plastic wedges. after you remove both trim piece grab the cd tray from the ends and push out. it should come out easily. if i were you i would take the car to a professional radio installer to do this especially if your car has the MOST system. My local sound advice shop has done this for me. as a matter of fact i purchased the same kit you did and they are going to do the install. additionally i am sending the sirius trim plate to macarbon and they are going to wrap it in cf...should look awesome when finished.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:56 PM
kunkstyle
Racer

This ishould be an easy install DIY, as nothing is being rewired or spliced (except the 12v+, I guess...). However, by all means take it to an installer if you're not comfortable with audio or taking your dash out.

To answer some questions:

Originally Posted by 911TTCAB
How do you remove this holder?
Pop one cd slot open. Grab each edge. Pull fairly hard. Pops right out. I know it sounds odd. I've taken it out about half a dozen times in the last few weeks and it works (someone else on the forum pointed that one out).

does the Porsche antenna connector look like that?????
Nope. You'll need an adapter. I bought mine from Crutchfield.

Now, I still don't know how this plate will attach (securely) to the CD holder opening
No idea, when you find out, please post, as I'm curious to know before I buy it.

I am not sure what the AUX Audio Input Jacks would be for??
Seems odd that those are labeled as inputs. On the sportster, which I assume is the same, they're outputs. If you have an aftermarket HU or the becker aux in adapter, you could use these to connect directly (best quality). Otherwise you would use the FM modulator supplied (mediocre quality). There should be no need to use both.

Good luck on the install.

Quick Reply: DIY Sirius Radio Installation