Sponsored by:

emission issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:04 AM
9FIRTY
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default emission issues

I have recently taken delivery of a 2001 996TT but appear to have an issue. Here's what happens -

Under acceleration the car gets to about 4500 revs and the engine starts to splutter, the tacho shudders and the car loses all torque (when I say 'loses' I guess I back off straight away but you get the idea) If I do this two or three times the 'check engine' symbol comes on along with 'drive to workshop." From my own (limited) knowledge of these things and from consulting the manual I believe the issue relates to emission control, namely one or more sensors not working correctly. As I understand it, the computer is incorrectly mixing the air and fuel due to incorrect readings coming from sensors in the emission control.

There is actually a second part to this problem now too ... I've noticed that the car feels a little 'rich' and jumpy in first gear below 2,000 revs. It almost feels like it bogs down off the line and then jumps away above 2,000 revs as if it's too rich down low or something. I'm wondering if the two issues are related? It doesn't do it in other 'acceleration' gears but I think that's because you tend not to go below 2000rpm in 2nd and 3rd.

Anyway after all that I guess my question is - has anyone had this issue with their car or does anyone have any experience with this problem? The car is going into the shop next Tues anyway but I'm keen to know as much as possible beforehand.

Thanks

Simon
Old 05-26-2008, 10:46 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

My bet is plugs or leak. In any case get the codes read and we can help with diagnosis.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:25 AM
9FIRTY
AutoX

Thanks wross996tt ... when you say "get the codes read" do you mean get the printout from the computer the workshop will hook it up to?

If so, yes I'll definitely do that but I was hoping to go in more armed than that ... is there no other way to ascertain the cause of this issue without those codes?
Old 05-27-2008, 10:22 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

I don't care if you get the actual "print out". You just need the numbers....you can get them read at autozone for free...without the codes we are just guessing (even with the codes there will be several possibilities).
Old 05-27-2008, 10:55 AM
9FIRTY
AutoX

yeah I'm in australia mate ... wouldn't have a clue what Autozone is ...
Old 05-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Firty, under the dash where your left knee would be while driving {unless you have a right side drive car} is the plug in for the OBD. Get someone to take a reading and the guys on here will tell you the possible problems.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:26 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by 9FIRTY
yeah I'm in australia mate ... wouldn't have a clue what Autozone is ...
Oops...Of course no way for me to know this as all I see is your sign-on name, join date, number of posts and the fact that you are not a member (I have the sigs. off).

They don't have car parts stores in Australia? Hmmm, I kind of doubt that mate. Perhaps you should find an auto store (whatever they call them there) and get the codes read....or wait for the stealer to tell you.

Cheers.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:53 AM
9FIRTY
AutoX

Land Jet ... I'll give that a try. I'm new to this car and these forums and there's obviously a lot of forum nerds out there that aren't as sympathetic to a novice so I appreciate your help. I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers
Old 05-28-2008, 03:34 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simon- simply identifying your location, not address but perhaps continent would be most helpful and courteous. Indeed, there is different programming in these cars, and a US car will behave differently (ie different CEL lights) thant ROW cars. Why not meet members halfway and add that to your profile?

There are a great many 'problems' that manifest themselves as an "emissions code".. so don't assume this is 'some emissions sensor'. Clearly, witht he driveability issues, it is something significant.

There is something going on with plugs, mafs or a timing sensor to cause these issues. Probably just one, not all- but witout the diagnostic codes it is impossible to troubleshoot.

You don't need a dealer- any car shop that can read OBDC codes will do.

GL

A
Old 05-28-2008, 11:20 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have recently taken delivery of a 2001 996TT but appear to have an issue. Here's what happens -

Under acceleration the car gets to about 4500 revs and the engine starts to splutter, the tacho shudders and the car loses all torque (when I say 'loses' I guess I back off straight away but you get the idea) If I do this two or three times the 'check engine' symbol comes on along with 'drive to workshop." From my own (limited) knowledge of these things and from consulting the manual I believe the issue relates to emission control, namely one or more sensors not working correctly. As I understand it, the computer is incorrectly mixing the air and fuel due to incorrect readings coming from sensors in the emission control.
This is EXACTLY what my car did & it turned out to be a cracked coil pack!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 11:21 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Land Jet ... I'll give that a try. I'm new to this car and these forums and there's obviously a lot of forum nerds out there that aren't as sympathetic to a novice so I appreciate your help. I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers
Nice, you ask for help and call me names. Good luck. BTW I'm a car nerd, not a forum nerd...at least get your name calling right
Old 05-28-2008, 10:10 PM
9FIRTY
AutoX

Originally Posted by wross996tt
I don't care if you get the actual "print out". You just need the numbers....
Mate you posted this ... it comes across as a little petulant and unwarranted ... whatever ... I cetainly don't want to disrupt this site with petty clashes ... lets dry our eyes and move on huh?

To everyone who responded ... I will certainly adjust my profile to reflect my location ... good advice. And as far as the issue is concerned I will attempt to have the codes read today. As a second thought, could it be a bad batch of fuel (impurities or low RON?)

Cheers
Old 05-28-2008, 11:04 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

You must be kidding...a little sensitive I think...anyhow...no worries mate. I was just trying to help.

cheers
Old 05-28-2008, 11:14 PM
mikerosi
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Hey Firty, reguardless of the uncontrollable passions and sensitivity on this site, please posts the codes
that you find as I am having simular issues. This site WILL help you!
Old 05-29-2008, 11:20 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

plugs and/or coil packs.. Install a set of Bosch FR6LDC..

You have a VERY strong chance of having the Beru FR5's installed.. Which are not the correct plug..

The '01's and early '02's have the FR5's from the factory. This has been updated to the FR6's..

Quick Reply: emission issues