Sponsored by:

Picture Says it All >:(

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 01:58 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
IMHO, you will have an uphill battle arguing for DV for a 996TT...based on depreciation, #'s produced, etc.....it's a hard sell.

They are commodity vehicles, not limited production vehicles.
What are you talking about????

DV is independent of the rarity of the car.

It is simply 'what is the value once $20k in damage is disclosed' versus 'what is the value for a car with a clean history'

The EXTENT of the DV may be related to rarity, etc but you can have DV on a toyota camry.

Someone else said 'go for the throat' was harsh... wait till you get danced around by the insurance company for a few weeks.... the kid that hit you isn't a 'bad guy'... you'll know who's out to screw you soon enough.

TT is correct- both insurers will 'close rank' on the DV issue, and you may be stuck suing. Better will be to ACT like you will be suing them if they don't address the DV... they may.

A
Old 04-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Derboost
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also depends on the laws in your state, Arizona no DV at all period. I was in my e36 M3 LW stopped for a train, hit in the rear,lady on cell phone doing 45. 9500.00 damage No DV. I sued, 2 years. Got medical bills paid ,rental for 4 months ,the car fixed and a small amount for pain /suffering. All told a huge pain in the ***.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:38 PM
DMB14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about the damage!

I think some of you guys are overreacting. It's not like the car was intentionally rammed into. If that was the case I guess I would understand "going for the throat" and "suing his ***."
Old 04-19-2008, 08:33 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Tim that sux, how's your neck feel?
Old 04-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Ken C
Advanced

Oh man, Tim. I am really sorry. Being a bike rider, one of my biggest fears is getting rear ended by some idiot yacking on the cell phone and not paying attention.

I'm sure you were like me where you spent several months looking trying to find the perfect car. You finally get it and can't wait to drive it. What a pain. I really hope they can get it restored as new.

Originally Posted by Tim Wasmer
Don't know but it will be a while.

I only had her 9 days
Old 04-20-2008, 01:34 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DMB14
Sorry about the damage!

I think some of you guys are overreacting. It's not like the car was intentionally rammed into. If that was the case I guess I would understand "going for the throat" and "suing his ***."
I really don't understand these kind of comments.

The choices are:

1. Hey, he didn't mean it, lets just split the costs- or 'so what if the car is worth less now, it LOOKS the same' or 'hey, my fault for not moving'

2. Get fully compensated for all of your losses: damage to the car, loss of use, diminished value, rental car- not a penny more nor less

3. Come out ahead.

Personally I vote for #2- and I'd 'go for the throat' to get it, or 'sue his ***' as required.

Or play by the 'rules' the insurers try to foist on all the sheeple.

Best of luck to you Tim.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:45 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was it in my 97 M3 hit and rolled over on I280 near San Bruno Ca. I was off work for a month, car was totalled (dimishment of value was not an issue). I got what I paid for the car plus 10%(guess i bought it at a good price), rental for a month, 50K pain, suffering and time off work.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:33 AM
C DeVito
Racer

Tim,
It hurts to see this happen especially after all the time and effort to get the car. I hope it is back in your hands good as the day you got it, very soon.
Sounds like you have a good perspective. It wasn't intentional, no one died or was physically hurt. It is just a car and can be fixed. I agree this is a financial debate over protecting your invested value by defining the DV and recouping it now. Anyone pursuing these cars will look at the history and factor that into the value calculation. Although these aren't investments there is an established and expected depreciation curve that is seriously affected by an accident history. I haven't tried but I suspect you could find enough evidence to substaniate the 20% reduction. When I bought mine I factored in the loss due to depreciation as a write off for choosing this car. However, even after weighing potential legal fees, that added 20% is a sizable amount to just write off. It wasn't part of normal 996TT owenership and is worth pursuing in my mind.

Good luck man.

Last edited by C DeVito; 04-20-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Carmen

Good point. I will check it out. We are in Rocky Mountain National park this weekend. It would be great with the PCAR. Grrrrrr.

One day it will be here and the picture will be great.
Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2008, 12:42 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ug.

But, get the funds to replace the stock unit(s) and then upgrade away......

Totally stinks, but turbos, airbox, exhaust, etc......

Hope you are ok. That is the only thing that really matters.

JB
Old 04-25-2008, 05:29 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

hey tim any up-dates....
Old 04-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Farmers FINALLY accepted liability today. Hope to have an adjuster out next week. Farmers stinks. Took them 10 days + to figure liability when he was ticketed and hit me.

Will let you know what they find............
Old 04-25-2008, 06:49 PM
linda.erwin
Rennlist Member

Tim,

This is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry. You went through hell and back to get the car and now this! Unbelievable!! What impresses me most though is your reaction. You had a choice to really ream the kid out. But, you chose the high road. You treated him like you would hope to be treated if it was your truck that hit his Turbo. How rare, and so very hard to do in the heat of the moment. But, you did it! And that is why you can be assured that the kindness and understanding that you've shown to him WILL come back to you in due course... and it will be MULTIPLIED!! Believe it. In the meantime, know that we are with you and support you.

Love and hugs, bud.
Linda
Old 04-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Thanks Linda.

The poor kid was scared enough and hell, it IS (gasp) just a car. Nobody was hurt and we all walked away. THAT is the important part.

Thanks again.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:26 PM
K. Roman
Advanced

I have a lot of respect for your serenity. You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

Quick Reply: Picture Says it All >:(