Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedtech Exhaust : Tested (results and pictures inside)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:45 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 337 Likes on 233 Posts

Vincentdds,

We have an exhaust for the 993TT, but it is just the muffler portion - no cats...

Tony, my pleasure. Thanks again for the detailed test and strong review. I am pleased to have your company associated with SpeedTech.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 03-23-2008, 01:27 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tony I sent you a PM asking about whether you make one for the X50...are you getting the PM's? If so, could you PM back...
Old 03-23-2008, 11:11 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Cosmetically they don't look very good...they don't fit in the stock opening very well.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:30 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Wross,

That's just camera angle - they fit perfectly. Here is a picture, just after an install. They both fit the same, but the left looks off due to camera angle. The right tip shows how they really look. Dead center - perfect fit. I can assure you the tips look fantastic when installed...and the chrome finish is better than stock.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:51 PM
DAP
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John D II
Wross,

That's just camera angle - they fit perfectly. Here is a picture, just after an install. They both fit the same, but the left looks off due to camera angle. The right tip shows how they really look. Dead center - perfect fit. I can assure you the tips look fantastic when installed...and the chrome finish is better than stock.
I can second that. It looked great on the 996 at EPL in person.

-Dave@EPL
Old 03-24-2008, 11:33 AM
gobble
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
...they don't fit in the stock opening very well.
I'm very interested in this exhaust and have the same question. If you look at the grey car on the first page, both tips look too far towards the outside of the car. The yellow car on the second page looks good on the passengers side but not on the drivers side. Do you have a "good" picture that shows both tips centered in the stock openings? I think this would help with your sales. I want to keep my car looking stock.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:08 PM
DAP
6th Gear

Originally Posted by gobble
I'm very interested in this exhaust and have the same question. If you look at the grey car on the first page, both tips look too far towards the outside of the car. The yellow car on the second page looks good on the passengers side but not on the drivers side. Do you have a "good" picture that shows both tips centered in the stock openings? I think this would help with your sales. I want to keep my car looking stock.
The exhaust tips are at an angle relative to the bumper so it is impossible to capture both centered in a single picture. However, seeing it in person, both exhaust tips are perfectly centered in the bumper openings on the grey 996TT.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:18 PM
gobble
Racer

That picture sure is misleading. This seems like a great deal, but I have a few more questions if you don't mind.

What holds the tips on? Exhuasts I have purchased for previous cars came with the tips attached. Do they need to be welded or is there a clamp or set screw system?

Do the tips stick out the back more or less than the stock exhaust tips? I've seen various opinions on this.

Why no pipe between the two mufflers like the stock system or some other aftermarket exhausts? What is the purpose of the connecting pipe and why doesn't this exhaust have one?

Can you tell us where its made? Does overseas mean Germany or Italy or does it mean China or Vietnam? Any other brands you can name that are made in the same factory? Who does QC?
Old 03-24-2008, 11:37 PM
gobble
Racer

Nobody knows the answers to my questions?
Old 03-25-2008, 01:13 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Gobble,

Sorry, I have been away from the computer for a bit...

IMHO, The Speedtech exhaust is not only a great value, but a great product. Take a look at our testimonials page for a few opinions.

http://www.speedtechexhausts.com/page4.html

The vast majority of our customers are extremely pleased with their purchase. I use one myself and love it.

The tips are held by a clamp - same as OEM tips.

The tips stick out approximately 1/2" more than the OEM tips - they appear the same as OEM, for all intents and purposes.

The connecting pipe is a design option that can affect the sound and some say it balances the pressure between the two sides, but we prefer to expel the gasses quickly from each bank and save the added weight, material and additional cost. We feel the connector causes turbulence in the mufflers and reduces flow speed. The Speedtech muffler achieves better flow and higher HP/torque with it's straight through design.

The exhaust is produced in Taiwan with modern robot tig welding exhaust equipment for uniform weld penetration and consistent quality. The quality is exceptional, as is the mirror polished finish. Manfacturing quality control is handled by our overseas factory and then all exhausts are inspected again at SpeedTech prior to shipment. We designed this exhaust in conjunction with our source factory and have it made to our specifications.

I hope I have answered all your questions.

Best Regards,

John

Last edited by John D II; 03-25-2008 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:08 PM
gobble
Racer

Thanks. Still very interested.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:49 PM
mpclimber
Instructor

So, I just got my car back and the tips are PERFECT! I also, in my infinite wisdom, figured out a way to prove this photographically. I took photos of each set of tips separately (Genius... I know ). I even threw in a profile for those who think the tips stick out a foot or so back

Bottom line, it sounds great and judging by how my clutch was getting manhandled, it makes great power. It still stands to be seen whether it passes the wife test, but I'm a fan. However, if the biggest debate is over how it fits cosmetically, it fits perfect.
Attached Images    
Old 03-29-2008, 01:59 PM
mikerosi
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mpclimber
So, I just got my car back and the tips are PERFECT! I also, in my infinite wisdom, figured out a way to prove this photographically. I took photos of each set of tips separately (Genius... I know ). I even threw in a profile for those who think the tips stick out a foot or so back

Bottom line, it sounds great and judging by how my clutch was getting manhandled, it makes great power. It still stands to be seen whether it passes the wife test, but I'm a fan. However, if the biggest debate is over how it fits cosmetically, it fits perfect.
Well I guess that solves another big problem on Rennlist!!!!
Old 03-29-2008, 04:30 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks, Michael. That's what I have been saying all along, but you know the saying "a picture is worth a thousand words"...this is how every one I have seen fits.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:09 PM
deandob
Intermediate

Is the discoloration in the center link of the tips where the exhaust flows out permanent? I have these tips on my stock exhaust and they have done the same thing (and can't be cleaned), and was hoping that a new exhaust would fix this problem.

Quick Reply: Speedtech Exhaust : Tested (results and pictures inside)