Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change of tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:16 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

AS, you have been very patient...I modded about 4 weeks after I got mine. Seriously though...talk to the tuners. Find the one you like and go for it. I also am partial to Kevin as I think he is knowledgeable and stands behind his product. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:42 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

It's an interesting process, with seemingly more than one possible right answer. I'm told the most recent GIAC software (6 months old) resolves the issues of slow electronic throttle response, but the ease of installation favors the plug-in alternative. It seems we are lucky to have multiple dedicated tuners.
The springs, sway bar, and muffler should be here soon, and the reflash will follow.
The consistent response is the plug-in OBD testing does not read the reprogram but just searches for malfunctions of fundamental emissions processes. So, I've decided to let my fears go away.
AS
Old 01-30-2008, 11:11 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

hey alexander I noticed you said "springs"... I'd honestly stay away from "springs" and do a proper coil over kit. The handling is pretty adverse with a spring kit (worse imho). You'll pogo around etc... Try a set of PSS9s or something to that effect.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:54 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Better yet, the x73 setup, factory and better imo.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:57 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I tried to talk him out of the springs, but in the end Alexander is quiet astute. He knew of all the warnings I preached. IOW he was warned and was well aware of all the advice I had
Old 01-31-2008, 12:22 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
I tried to talk him out of the springs, but in the end Alexander is quiet astute. He knew of all the warnings I preached. IOW he was warned and was well aware of all the advice I had
With your BJJ skills you are about as persuasive as they come Figured you musta tried

In fact, I dare not call you the British-W-word anymore...
Old 01-31-2008, 12:24 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Good choice as well just not as adjustable- especially in terms of ride height, which means it isn't as flexible
Old 01-31-2008, 12:26 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
With your BJJ skills you are about as persuasive as they come Figured you musta tried

In fact, I dare not call you the British-W-word anymore...

LMAO...Well I am probably still the W word though
Old 01-31-2008, 12:32 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
LMAO...Well I am probably still the W word though
Hmmm ok from 2000 miles away but once you're in the Bay Area all words beginging with "W" are out the window.

Either way, it's cool to see originals like Alexander Steemer go for a bit more out of the trusty 996TT. It's certainly the car to do it on...
Old 01-31-2008, 10:36 AM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I second the Surgeon's recommendation for x73 set up. I think the alleged downside-- stiffer ride-- is way overblown. If anything, it breathes a little excitement into the plush stock 996 feel. GBG
Old 01-31-2008, 07:20 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

UMW all the way baby! My car WOKE UP and found a BUNCH of throttle response when I did the UMW tune/Wastegate Springs/5Bar FPR for my existing K16/K24 setup and other than overwhelming the clutch on occassion, it's been the best thing I could do for my 996Turbo...

Mike
Old 02-01-2008, 12:35 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

All the input is much appreciated.
Alex,
Regarding the springs alone, Stephen has pretty much summarized our conversation. The spring/shock combination requires some sophistication on installation to appropriately set ride height and corner balance. The springs are a simpler installation, and less prone to error. The same process worked extremely well on a 964C2 Cab ( I came within .1 seconds of Derrik Bell's lap time at a Porsche event), and on my now-sold BMW 850 CSI. If it doesn't work out, I will make the change to the whole adjustable system. I am the kind of guy who will never re-adjust once they are on, so the flexibility of the system isn't an advantage to me (I have 4 dedicated track cars).
As all of you know, I am sometimes a bit of a maverick, so I'm curious about how this will work out, and will candidly post the results.
Right now, I'm waiting for the boxes to arrive. Coming home in 4 fresh inches of snow tonight with heavy snow falling, makes me really wonder what is wrong in my brain asking for more hp. I doubt I used over 150 hp at any point on my trip home, and had the PSM working all the time.
Ever have one of those trips when all you want is to bring it home with all the corners still on the car? That was tonight. AS
Old 02-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
The spring/shock combination requires some sophistication on installation to appropriately set ride height and corner balance. The springs are a simpler installation, and less prone to error.
This is why X73 is such a great package.

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Coming home in 4 fresh inches of snow tonight with heavy snow falling, makes me really wonder what is wrong in my brain asking for more hp. I doubt I used over 150 hp at any point on my trip home, and had the PSM working all the time.
You don't have snow on the ground year round do you? Having more power does not mean that you have to use it every time you drive your car.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:15 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how muck does the x73 costs and where is the best place to get it..
Old 02-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by manny_g
how muck does the x73 costs and where is the best place to get it..
I'm sure you can buy X73 from someone here in the United States. I bought mine from Carnewal, which is in Europe http://www.carnewal-europe.com/main.htm.

The exchange rate was much better when I bought X73. Carnewal's current price is $2960.47 US.

Quick Reply: Change of tune