snow tyres in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 01:13 PM
harris
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snow tyres in the rain

Hi all,
I recently bought my car with a set of snow tyres Pirelli's N3 225 & 265 Fr & Rear respectively.
I noticed that the car is NOT that stable in the rain as I should expect for a 4 wheel drive car...( it tends to eversteer tooo much in twisty roads...)

1. tyres pressures are ok according to manual
2. front tyres are made 5th week of 05
3. rears are even newer...

I was very sad discovering that I can drive faster with my front wheel drive honda civic Type-R in the rain wich has normal bridgestone tyres 050A.....and no PSM or ESP etc

Since I have never driven my car with normal tyres...(i.e. non snow) I cannot tell if my car will be better in the rain or not with street tyres

(i bought the car 10 days ago and drove from Germany to Greece with snow tyres- they were on the car)

please help

any advice will be accepted and tested-tried on the car

the feeling not being safe when driving this car is not that nice.....
Old 12-11-2007, 02:04 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry to hear they are not meeting up to expectation.
The tires are N3?........sorry for my ignorance.....N3 what?
Are they 210 Snowsports?......240s?.......what.

Aside from not knowing the tire, I'd say there may be something else a-mis here.
I've been driving performance winter rubber on Porsches and AMGs for years......more often in the wet than in the snow. I trust my cars in the cold-&-wet on these tires at speed, more than most any car.
Conversely......there is no way I would drive confidently (at speed, in cold-wet) in a Porsche without these tires.
On the Honda being more stable.......golly I know that of all the cars, trucks, and SUVs I passed on the way in this morning (in the wet).....there definately was a Civic or 2
Old 12-11-2007, 04:09 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Agree with Gregg, something is amiss. CK alignment, tire pressure etc.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:29 PM
KPG
Pro

Originally Posted by GreggT
The tires are N3?........sorry for my ignorance.....N3 what?
The N connotation is for a tire specifically designed for Porsche. Michelin, Conti, Pirrelli etc are all engineered with help from Porsche to be optimized for their vehicles. A first generation tire is N0 and if it is updated it will show an N1 then N2 etc. The snows have been updated several times and that is why it is N3.....
Old 12-11-2007, 05:35 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KPG
The N connotation is for a tire specifically designed for Porsche. Michelin, Conti, Pirrelli etc are all engineered with help from Porsche to be optimized for their vehicles. A first generation tire is N0 and if it is updated it will show an N1 then N2 etc. The snows have been updated several times and that is why it is N3.....
N3 what?.........are they 210s, 240s?..........I'm just curious what Pirrelli tire they are.
Yep....I understand Porsche's designation.....never paid it alot of attention.....some, not alot.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:48 PM
mpclimber
Instructor

What are the tread depths? When not driven on snow, snow tires have a tendency to wear quickly.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:51 PM
harris
Burning Brakes

N3 what?.........are they 210s, 240s?..........I'm just curious what Pirrelli tire they are.
Yep....I understand Porsche's designation.....never paid it alot of attention.....some, not alot.
pirelli's 240....
Old 12-11-2007, 06:52 PM
harris
Burning Brakes

what is the difference between 210's and 240's?
Old 12-12-2007, 12:32 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Harris,
Something is wrong. The 996tt with PSM on does not oversteer in the wet, but will understeer unless you switch the PSM off and get very aggressive with the throttle. Even then, you have to wait to get front bite, before you give it gas.
I would guess you have a rear allignment problem. I drive mine in wet conditions on Pirelli snow tires all the time, and it is rock steady. AS
Old 12-12-2007, 12:53 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have P 240s on mine, in the Seattle area. I see a little rain here - no problems
Old 12-12-2007, 10:03 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by harris
what is the difference between 210's and 240's?
About $30.00
Old 12-12-2007, 10:05 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Seriously.......210s are good tire....are HR rated.......all 240s, however, are VR rated (slightly higher speed-performance). The each have their own tread pattern. Both are good tire (IMO)......but it's pretty hard to do any better than 240s.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:50 AM
harris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Harris,
Something is wrong. The 996tt with PSM on does not oversteer in the wet, but will understeer unless you switch the PSM off and get very aggressive with the throttle. Even then, you have to wait to get front bite, before you give it gas.
I would guess you have a rear allignment problem. I drive mine in wet conditions on Pirelli snow tires all the time, and it is rock steady. AS
I am pretty sure that something is wrong over here.....
I am trying to figure out what it is ....actually....

I am pretty sure that I will find what it is...
I am trying through "my friends" here in the forum to solve in a way the problem...

harris
Old 12-12-2007, 12:07 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Start with alignment.
The car is new to you but possibly the service records have the last alignment print-out?

Regardless......a tip is that when you go for align:
**a shop that does Pcars....that has correct OE specs for your C4....C4S?
**make it clear that when you come back you want print-out of both before and after #s

You mention air pressure is 'according to manual'....tell us what you have them at......I'm not aware of the manual having recomended winter #s
Old 12-12-2007, 12:11 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I would start with tread depth. In general, winter tires are very good in the wet..unless they are worn down. Snows should have around 7/32nds of an inch tread depth as I recall. Less than that and they are considered marginal.

Quick Reply: snow tyres in the rain